What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

beave

Coach
I said this in the ratings thread

'The NRL is trying to put a cap on overall club spending because it's worried teams are just blowing cash with the expectation the NRL will just bail them out with the TV money, but then the NRL goes and allows absolute disgraceful scheduling time slots like this 6pm friday bullshit which completley compromises crowd figures and revenue for the clubs. It's pretty hypocritical of the NRL to want the clubs to be self sufficient and limit their spendings for their long term survival, and then schedule games on a friday afternoon at 6pm'

The NRL were giving clubs $50k at one stage for each monday night game they had, i think it was meant to go towards advertising to drum up a crowd and any shortfall expected because of the expected drop in crowd numbers for that slot, does anyone know if the NRL is giving clubs any additonal cash for this ridiculous 6pm friday game?

Pommy

Coach
Because they have decided its worth making hundreds of millions more in tv revenue than tens of thousands more in ticket sales.

Short term strategy

Yes but the idea isn't to change the time slots. Just to have a better schedule. Do the TV companies care is storm sharks is in Sydney or Melbourne? Probably not.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I said this in the ratings thread

'The NRL is trying to put a cap on overall club spending because it's worried teams are just blowing cash with the expectation the NRL will just bail them out with the TV money, but then the NRL goes and allows absolute disgraceful scheduling time slots like this 6pm friday bullshit which completley compromises crowd figures and revenue for the clubs. It's pretty hypocritical of the NRL to want the clubs to be self sufficient and limit their spendings for their long term survival, and then schedule games on a friday afternoon at 6pm'

The NRL were giving clubs $50k at one stage for each monday night game they had, i think it was meant to go towards advertising to drum up a crowd and any shortfall expected because of the expected drop in crowd numbers for that slot, does anyone know if the NRL is giving clubs any additonal cash for this ridiculous 6pm friday game?

They'll argue the massive club grant increase is in part due to accepting sht Ko times.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because they have decided its worth making hundreds of millions more in tv revenue than tens of thousands more in ticket sales.

Short term strategy

And yet afl got more money AND better scheduling, hmmmmm

But this goes much deeper than kick off times. There seems to be little or no growth in any area of rugby league at the moment. The commision and nrl management are failing miserably to make the very best of the massive increase in revenue the game has seen since 2012. Fans are just responding at the lack of energy and excitement around the game at the moment, it's all a bit stale and the round 1 crowds are a direct reflection of this.

Raiderdave

First Grade

Short term strategy

you can have both
the code is a winner on TV , no sport in the country is watched by more people
we need to remind broadcasters of this fact & tell them ..... we want top $$ oh &

we'll tell you what days to broadcast " our " sport : )
you don't like it

theres the door !!

Perth Red

Post Whore
you can have both
the code is a winner on TV , no sport in the country is watched by more people
we need to remind broadcasters of this fact & tell them ..... we want top $$ oh &

we'll tell you what days to broadcast " our " sport : )
you don't like it

theres the door !!

Sadly the only man with the balls to do this was shown the door.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Ouch, well didn't take long this season to get the dissapointment out in this thread lol. Then again even by my low expectations of nrl crowds these 3 Sydney games have been shockers.
th
Ouch, well didn't take long this season to get the dissapointment out in this thread lol. Then again even by my low expectations of nrl crowds these 3 Sydney games have been shockers.

the capacities of Belmore , Shark park & Kogarah combined is 56,000
with shitty weather we were never going to get a good tally
even with fair weather it wasn't going to be an awesome rnd 1 aggregate because of the number of even smaller then usual venues
anyway
lets look to rnd 2 & some better crowds hopefully

Last edited:

Emu01

Juniors

Perth you can't be harsh on these crowds considering the weather in Sydney.

I live near Kogarah oval and it was deadset like a monsoon today the rain only stopped just before kickoff and it has rained every day this week.

You can't expect families to sit on wet grass mate. The under cover seats were all full.. So shut up please and save your disgust for when it's legitimate.

Jizmos

Juniors
7283 @ kogarah

I know the weather has been relatively poor but given the amount of promotion I heard all week about this game multiple times per trip in the car no matter which station I switched to and the advertisement posters plastered all throughout the signposts in the local area (like always) it's pretty embarrassing that one of our codes largest clubs in this state can't even go close to cracking 10k for round 1....

Latest posts