What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
I just got home from work and listened to a bit of it in the car.
It was half time at 9pm
Just finished @ 10
My kids go to bed at 8.30

It would be about at least 11 pm if I had to drive home from there.

It is ok for tv but a absolutely ridiculous time to go to in Sydney....especially if you want to take your kids.
It might work in some far flung joint with 2 traffic lights like Perth but not here where all the action is.

Didn't swans get 42k to a July Thursday night game last year? Seems it is a rl thing not to go out during the week not a Sydney thing.

For nrl in sydney on a Thursday night with a chance of rain 13.5k is good, sad that the bar is so low but it is what it is.

some11

Referee
The weird (good?) part is that they are giving Suncorp the larger screens than the Gabba!!

That photoshop doesn't do justice to how big they will be, I thought they would just fill in the sponsor space around the current ones, still not a patch on Allianz' Superscreen but a welcome upgrade.

Very impressive for a Thursday!

What was the Canterbury contingent like? Ive often thought it's easier to drive the M5 against the flow of peak hour to the SFS than Fairford and King Georges to ANZ during this time slot.

carcharias

Immortal
Didn't swans get 42k to a July Thursday night game last year? Seems it is a rl thing not to go out during the week not a Sydney thing.

For nrl in sydney on a Thursday night with a chance of rain 13.5k is good, sad that the bar is so low but it is what it is.
How many did swans get?
How the f**k would I know
I seriously couldn't tell you what AFL teams are what.
That's because it's a shithouse game popular in shithouse places.
How many afl teams are there in Sydney?

It was half time at 9pm
Just finished @ 10

It is ok for tv but a absolutely ridiculous time to go to in Sydney....especially if you want to take your kids.
It might work in some far flung joint with 2 traffic lights like Perth but not here where all the action is.

amen.

taipan

Referee

And was the Swans game live on FTA in Sydney on both FTA and Pay? Waiting.............
Have you seen drops in Swan's crowds when it is raining or has been raining and threatening and it rained near the end last night.How many families attended last night?
Chance of rain it friggin rained ,see the umbrellas near the end.

Most of the Swan's fans live close to or not that far from the SCG.Even the Swans hierarchy have stated at times the rain affected the crowds.Look at the pathetic crowd Swans v GWS last weekend at Blacktown in the rain.
And the proof is, not many Swan's fans travelled to ANZ stadium, it was too far away from the SCG and their locale.
Even Bourbon Wilson the Swan's tragic lived at Surry Hills .hardly marathon run to the SCG.

You sit back in your comfy chair like an armchair general (with the your blood my guts mentality)and pontificate about Sydney NRL crowds,without taking into account most of the time,things that do affect rl crowds.

It's not a bar that has been set re crowds.If that was the case, there would have been no live Tv coverage to impact it.The bar average was set by Smith with a 20,000 average.

When it's been p*ssing down rain in Perth,when an NRL match is being staged and the crowds are down, you are the first to say the weather played a part.You're a two way better and fence sitter.

big hit!

Bench
It was half time at 9pm
Just finished @ 10

night games in general have to be limited.

look at the NFL and the EPL........the former generally has 14-16 matches per weekend and all but 3 games start before 5pm with the bulk of games scheduled at the same time - about 7 or 8 at sunday1pm ET, 3 or 4 at sunday 415pm ET, and the remainder at night 830pm on thu/sun/mon.

in the latter, bulk of 10 matches per weekend played on saturday with one match at 1230pm, 5 matches at 3pm, 1 match at 530pm and the remainder on sunday at 12pm, 215pm and 430pm. sure, the weather is a big reason for limiting night matches in the UK, as well as giving hooligans less time to get on the turps, but they manage to get the crowds + billion $$ broadcast fees with day games.

interestingly, the two big leagues above have maintained their traditional day for the bulk of games - sunday and saturday respectively. NRL needs to get back to predominantly sunday day games for crowds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's not a bar that has been set re crowds.If that was the case, there would have been no live Tv coverage to impact it.The bar average was set by Smith with a 20,000 average.

NRL set a 20,000 avg bar which they have sweet fanny all chance of reaching until after 2023, and then only if they grow some pretty radical sized balls

I'm talking about the realistic fans bar, the bar which see a 13k crowd as impressive. Its a low bar but one that will stop so much angst on here at the sht crowds we get (for all the reasons pointed out and probably some more besides that fans don't want to face up to).

Out of interest is their any other top tier sport in an equivalent country that has a smaller crowd avg than ours for its top league?

Sharkman05

Juniors
Considering rugby league is played in a minority of Australia And we have a very competitive sports market plus there are 8.5 teams in one city, I think crowds are acceptable and if the NRL gave a shit about their fans crowds would be even better.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Considering rugby league is played in a minority of Australia And we have a very competitive sports market plus there are 8.5 teams in one city, I think crowds are acceptable and if the NRL gave a shit about their fans crowds would be even better.

Yep about sums it up for Sydney. Whilst we keep selling our soul to TV at the price of attendance it is very hard to criticise the clubs for not building their fanbases, and lets be honest if AFL wasn't so ridiculously popular to attend we probably wouldn't feel like we were too far behind the pack in terms of professional sport attendance globally.

Our crowds have been pretty much static since 2003, with slight up and down variations, which considering the countries population growth in that time isn't great but as long as the NRL keeps insisting on playing games at stupid times we are unlikely to see much change.

What I find fascinating is that we were seeing some slow growth up until the ARLC took over in 2012, then back into decline. Maybe it coincided with the new TV deal having an impact but you'd have thought ownership coming back to the game would have seen a positive difference?

carcharias

Immortal
Portugal is half the size and half the wealth of Australia. Russia is interesting, never been but looking at lack of attendance I guess they aren't into professional sport much?

Portugal has about 50 countries within a bees dick away by plane.

Not to mention it is a huge holiday destination for soap dodgers and the like.
Plus it plays the most popular game on Earth

So f**k knows why you are comparing them to Australia.

taipan

Referee
NRL set a 20,000 avg bar which they have sweet fanny all chance of reaching until after 2023, and then only if they grow some pretty radical sized balls

I'm talking about the realistic fans bar, the bar which see a 13k crowd as impressive. Its a low bar but one that will stop so much angst on here at the sht crowds we get (for all the reasons pointed out and probably some more besides that fans don't want to face up to).

Out of interest is their any other top tier sport in an equivalent country that has a smaller crowd avg than ours for its top league?

Who stated the 13,000 figure was impressive?More likely better than expected who would show up.

You were the one who thought Smith was the answer to all ills.He brought up the 20,000 average, not me ,not Billy McGee.Any derro on a park bench in Sydney would know playing games on a Thursday night at 8pm, 6pm on a Friday would shaft any notion of that expectation.
2018 the NRL controls the scheduling.Whine then if the numbers aren't to your liking.
We get sh*t crowds at union, many A League,even AFL in the Nthn states.

Whilst your at your whining best,do a critique of the AFL TV ratings in Sydney,with all the promotion and money expended, and teh Tv ratings are still crap.