What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

undertaker

Coach
Oh, I thought you meant the very wet night at ANZ.

Sorry I missed the word cyclonic. Should've realised Sharkies fans don't travel in many numbers lol.

Nevertheless good work from the Sharks in doing that.

That very wet night was the Souths vs Penrith game in 2007, the lowest crowd for an NRL game at ANZ Stadium ( 5053). That was the first night of the flooding and heavy winds which occurred in the Newcastle/Central Coast region over that weekend. Roosters/Cowboys the following evening at Allianz only got 4k. It's a miracle Newcastle got 13.6k for their home match on the Sunday, given the numerous road closures in the Hunter, heavy rain and winds and the possibility the match was going to get called off due to the dampness and heavy puddles on the playing surface.

wibble

Bench
That sharks v Souths on a Monday night in a cyclone a couple of years ago
They gave the undercover seats away
Plus gave everyone a free pie and drink
Plus ( not sure if it eventuated) a free t- shirt with reference to that game on it.

The free shirt did eventuate- my dad got one and is very proud of it. Great marketing, I think.

The ground tonight looked like a swamp, and that is rare at ANZ, so the weather must be horrendous at the moment.

Still, with this "push" to use main stadiums rather than suburban grounds in Sydney, the NRL needs to seriously come up with some strategies, as sub 10k (even 20k is not good at such grounds) crowds look poor.

Rabbits20

Immortal
That very wet night was the Souths vs Penrith game in 2007, the lowest crowd for an NRL game at ANZ Stadium ( 5053). That was the first night of the flooding and heavy winds which occurred in the Newcastle/Central Coast region over that weekend. Roosters/Cowboys the following evening at Allianz only got 4k. It's a miracle Newcastle got 13.6k for their home match on the Sunday, given the numerous road closures in the Hunter, heavy rain and winds and the possibility the match was going to get called off due to the dampness and heavy puddles on the playing surface.
You've refreshed my memory.

No way was there 7,412 there tonight though.

taipan

Referee
Crap weather is never an excuse for poor crowds.People love to sit in waterfalls fully clothed with soggy pies.It's the new fad.

Here we have a centralised all seat stadium,with about as much cover ,as a blanket on a battleship, we play at 8pm midweek drive our cars in blinding rain on roads that are nothing more than crowded tarred bush tracks,then spend an hour going home along same crowded tarred bush tracks,apparerntly is preferable to sitting at home dry on a lounge, with a female partner and/or family,kncking down lasagne with beer chasers, watching the whole shebang live on TV with Graham smashing Thaiday or any other Bronco poseur who gets in the way.

Yup we are pussies,we need more flu in our society.

They should have opened the doors and given free admission. It wouldnt have doubled the crowd but at least it would have been something.

Kudos to the people who actually showed up

mave

Coach
Did anyone take the Bulldogs up on their extraordinary generous offer to only have to pay $10 extra to get an undercover seat ?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
With the weather clearing in Sydney anything under 10K would be a disgrace for the undefeated Roosters.

betcats

Referee
What do they normally get on a Friday night? 6pm kickoff isnt that friendly to a lot of people who work in the cbd. I know 10k is a more than reasonable expectation but knowing Sydney RL fans I will be surprised if its above that number.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
What do they normally get on a Friday night? 6pm kickoff isnt that friendly to a lot of people who work in the cbd. I know 10k is a more than reasonable expectation but knowing Sydney RL fans I will be surprised if its above that number.

Most office workers are drinking by 4pm on Fridays... or is that just me?

Valheru

Coach

Friday night is traditionally the best attended slot for roosters, we just don't get that many of them these days. Obviously 6PM is the unknown

Most office workers are drinking by 4pm on Fridays... or is that just me?

4PM, Why so late?

It is more like midday in my experience ;)

betcats

Referee
Friday night is traditionally the best attended slot for roosters, we just don't get that many of them these days. Obviously 6PM is the unknown

Fair enough, ill be happy to be wrong if that's the case! I can see a bit of sun atm if it stays this way it will help a lot(obviously).

Emu01

Juniors
I will go out on a limb here and say this roosters game might even attract 13k.(if rain stays away)

They are undefeated and have only had 1 home game so far.

I could be wrong but I think they are hoping the cbd office workers will attend straight from work, and mum brings the kids after school.