What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Draw

AJB1102

First Grade
I won't even be home in time to watch Friday 6PM footy on the box. Its a bullshit time slot that I don't reckon will even require any sort of boycott to get scrapped.

Pommy

Coach
It's right next to Belmore train station
Anyone working in the City catches a train, so you'd catch the train straight to Belmore from the CBD
That takes 10 minutes

If you finish work by 5pm on a Friday you've plenty of time to make it there

Unless your a tradie and are working the other side of the city and need to go home and wash change clothes etc. honestly it's going to be dire or have kids to collect to take to the game.
6pm in Sydney is just to early and I think we will see this in the doggies game. My guess is sub 7k

Pommy

Coach
It takes 21-25 minutes to get from Central to Belmore, depending on the number of stops. There are MANY workers in Sydney that finish work before 5PM. When I worked in the city, I was one of them. I would get to Central station about 4.30PM and it the place was packed.

Depart Central | Arrive Belmore | Time
4.09PM | 4.34PM | 25mins
4.39PM | 5.04PM | 25mins
5.09PM | 5.25PM | 21mins
5.24PM | 5.45PM | 21mins

Also, the game is in 4 months time. If you are working that day and want to go but you cant make it after work, then apply for annual leave or use one of the many other options available to you. Many (but obviously not all) have time in lieu available to them.

Also, are people forgetting that not everyone works in an office? A good number of rugby league supporters are tradies. Tradies, with the very nature of their work (wages and not salary etc) tend to finish early on Fridays (yes, again not all..). They finish what, 2, 3 or 4PM? Gives them plenty of time to get to the game.

When I was working as a tradie by Murphy's law of Friday everything normally went to shit and it was a race to make it to ANZ by 8.

johnny plath

Juniors
It takes 21-25 minutes to get from Central to Belmore, depending on the number of stops. There are MANY workers in Sydney that finish work before 5PM. When I worked in the city, I was one of them. I would get to Central station about 4.30PM and it the place was packed.

Depart Central | Arrive Belmore | Time
4.09PM | 4.34PM | 25mins
4.39PM | 5.04PM | 25mins
5.09PM | 5.25PM | 21mins
5.24PM | 5.45PM | 21mins

Also, the game is in 4 months time. If you are working that day and want to go but you cant make it after work, then apply for annual leave or use one of the many other options available to you. Many (but obviously not all) have time in lieu available to them.

Also, are people forgetting that not everyone works in an office? A good number of rugby league supporters are tradies. Tradies, with the very nature of their work (wages and not salary etc) tend to finish early on Fridays (yes, again not all..). They finish what, 2, 3 or 4PM? Gives them plenty of time to get to the game.
I agree with this... if you want to attend the one or two games at this time that your team is likely to play there is more than enough notice with the draw to make arrangements for that day so you can get home, get the kids and go to a game of footy that doesn't finish too late for the kids. People prefer to bitch and moan, but its not that big a deal in reality... how bout we become fans and try to get to the games instead of planning boycotts for a timeslot that hasn't even been used yet.

Bay53

Juniors
The issue is not that it CAN be done - of course something at 6pm four months away could probably be arranged, but if as a sport you are only trying to cater for those who will jump through many hoops to get to the game, you are not going to be very successful.

This timeslot is very poor. Here in Canberra we probably don't have the big hassles about getting from work to the ground pretty quickly, but the downside to me is that it will be a rush from work to get there, and then by 8pm Friday night the football weekend is over.

I love it when we play on Saturday afternoons - we have three matches and then often a function afterwards. It is a great day rather than just something squeezed in between other commitments.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Clubs now selectively leaking:

Round 2: Knights v Titans @ McDonald Jones Stadium, Sat 11 Mar, 3:00pm (FOX)
Round 2: Raiders v Sharks @ GIO Stadium, Sat 11 Mar, 7:30pm (FOX)

AJB1102

First Grade
Knights v Titans .. Can hardly contain my excitement for that one.

Where the f**k is McDonald Jones Stadium?

GAZF

First Grade
lol, the raiders will get like 2 games max on free to air tv next season
The NRL has said time and time again that FTA slots are based on form and we haven't had any in the past 12 months. 2-4 seems about right.

IpswichTitans

Juniors
Suncorp Stadium Double Header (May)

Melbourne Storm vs Gold Coast Titans
Manly Sea Eagles vs Brisbane Broncos

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
Was a Friday last year and highly successful.

Today's leaks so far:

Round 2: Roosters v Bulldogs @ Allianz Stadium, Thu 9 Mar, 8:05pm (Ch 9)
Round 2: Wests Tigers v Panthers @ Campbelltown, Sun 12 Mar, 4:00pm (Ch 9)

Round 3: Storm v Broncos @ AAMI Park, Thu 16 Mar, 8:05pm (Ch 9)
Round 3: Panthers v Roosters @ Pepper Stadium, Sat 16 Mar, 7:00pm (FOX)

Round 4: Eels v Sharks @ ANZ Stadium, Sat 25 Mar, 7:00pm (FOX)

Walt Flanigan

Referee
lol the NRL and Channel 9 have told us for years that if we perform well then we'll see more FTA games. We finish 2nd and our first 2 games are against top 4 teams but it's still not good enough.

Games on Fox are so much better but still....

Raiderdave

First Grade
lol the NRL and Channel 9 have told us for years that if we perform well then we'll see more FTA games. We finish 2nd and our first 2 games are against top 4 teams but it's still not good enough.

Games on Fox are so much better but still....
just one more season of this crap
2018 the NRL takes control of the draw , not the days games are played sadly , but at least which sides play on these days.
Can't roll on quick enough

that round 2 game against the sharks should be a dead set belter after the .... unpleasentness ... in the final this year : )

Timmah

Staff member
Channel 9's share of viewership for games is dipping anyway, with Fox simulcasting all games. Not a huge deal.

Diesel

Referee
Was a Friday last year and highly successful.

Today's leaks so far:

Round 2: Roosters v Bulldogs @ Allianz Stadium, Thu 9 Mar, 8:05pm (Ch 9)
Round 2: Wests Tigers v Panthers @ Campbelltown, Sun 12 Mar, 4:00pm (Ch 9)

Round 3: Storm v Broncos @ AAMI Park, Thu 16 Mar, 8:05pm (Ch 9)
Round 3: Panthers v Roosters @ Pepper Stadium, Sat 16 Mar, 7:00pm (FOX)

Round 4: Eels v Sharks @ ANZ Stadium, Sat 25 Mar, 7:00pm (FOX)

You can add in the 2 ANZAC Day games and the Good Friday match too

Latest posts