What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

greenBV4

Bench
I don't understand why both Melbourne and Manly give up a home game for the Titans and Brisbane to essentially both have an extra home game

Has Brisbane ever taken a home game away from Suncorp?

Good for crowds though I guess, hopefully a sell out, 26250 each is way more than either AAMI or Brookvale would've gotten for those matchups

carcharias

Immortal
As is always the case the AFL makes these excuses look pathetic. The answer is too much live TV. Well the AFL also get every game live on TV, they even get an extra FTA game each week than the NRL. Yet somehow their crowds aren't affected. Why?

Because they can’t afford tv’s

Der

Plus they’re all f**kin weirdos
They watch that shit to start with

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not sure if they still do this but the FTA broadcaster used to withhold live broadcast of AFL matches in the market in which it was being played unless the game was sold out, instead showing it on delay - all as a means of encouraging attendance.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I don't understand why both Melbourne and Manly give up a home game for the Titans and Brisbane to essentially both have an extra home game

Good for crowds though I guess, hopefully a sell out, 26250 each is way more than either AAMI or Brookvale would've gotten for those matchups

its called $$ I think
& a sellout ?
not sure about that , how are the ticket sales tracking ?

El Diablo

Post Whore
doesn't matter where it started from
Cumberland tosser inferred nothing had changed crowd wise ... hes wrong
if Tosser actually attended games it would be fair enough to bag people for not going

instead he has never been to a game yet thinks he can still bag them

he's never post in a game day topic or the Parra forum and doesn't even know the Parra colours

complete fraud

Mister M

Juniors
Not sure if they still do this but the FTA broadcaster used to withhold live broadcast of AFL matches in the market in which it was being played unless the game was sold out, instead showing it on delay - all as a means of encouraging attendance.

Doesn't happen anymore, nor has it occurred in recent years.

In fact outside of Victoria, the FTA broadcaster will always air the games of the home state (GWS & Swans for NSW, Lions & Suns for QLD, Crows & Port for SA, Eagles & Free for WA) on FTA every week, regardless of what is filmed as and classified as the 'FTA game' by Channel 7.

That means that there can be some occasions where the Foxtel coverage can air on FTA in selected states.

These interstate broadcasts however are examples on when the FTA broadcast can be delayed. The current agreement has 3 away games per side a year (for the interstate clubs) that are exclusively live on Foxtel and then shown on delay on 7. An example of that was this weeks Richmond Vs Freo game. It was only on FTA in Western Australia and on a 3 hour delay, meaning the game was over before it aired on Channel 7.

Personally I believe TV coverage can actually HELP crowd attendance rather than hinder it, because regular access to coverage can get you more 'invested' in the team, especially in growth markets. I believe the Melbourne Storm's crowd numbers would increase if all Melbournian's could see the Storm play on TV weekly, rather than approximately once a month.

taipan

Referee
As is always the case the AFL makes these excuses look pathetic. The answer is too much live TV. Well the AFL also get every game live on TV, they even get an extra FTA game each week than the NRL. Yet somehow their crowds aren't affected. Why?

Form is a bullshit excuse. Every year some big supported team does badly. Last year the knights, one of our biggest supporter bases came last. You say Parra are doing bad this year but how did the biggest Sydney clubs do last year? The dragons, dogs, rabbits and tigers all missed the 8. You know 4 of the 5 biggest supporter bases in Sydney.

Sure we've had a few games impacted by hot weather and rain but nowhere near as much as last year. Most of last year all we heard about was the once in a century bad weather for Sydney that apparently crippled crowds, now we have the same posters pretending it hasn't been much worse this year. It's BS.

Oh but it's all the 6pm Friday and Thursday night games killing crowds. Then why do we get so many shot crowds in other timeslots (just look at yesterday's crowd). Why have crowds been stagnant for a decade since before those timeslots were introduced?

It's so frustrating seeing people defend mediocrity. I've been reading so many of these same nonsense excuses for the past 10 years.

I stated it was a combo ,not just one factor.The scheduling also plays a very big part.I'm also aware of teams have up and down seasons.
Having the local Sharks v Dragons derby on a thursday night at the start of this year was plain dumb.
The Dragons did far better last year than the Eels this year,the Dogs used to pull decent crowds they don't; now.Hope you're not suggesting they are this year?
Guess what the 6pm game was well attended at Newcastle because they don;t have the traffic issues we have in Sydney.
Guess how many Sharks supporters even if they travelled would get to Penrith for a 6pm game.

The once in a century bad year was when a Cat 1 cyclone hit the Sharks ground a couple of years ago.

OK in 2005 the best crowds we've had for over a decade.Guess what no 6pm.Tigers winners, and Titans with decent crowds.

Ever considered the financial aspect for families also,no wage increases for many, and costs have risen ,so tight budgeting may well affect some.
There are a myriad if reasons not just one.Live Tv I agree impacts the gate.
We got a crap 12,000 crowd at Shark Park v the Eels,on a Saturday night which would normally draw 15,000.There were a few Eels supporters there but the overwhelming majority were dressed in blue black and white.
You ask about the sh*t crowd for the Roosters v Manly,did anyone in there right mind expect 20,000 there? Especially after their recent debacles.
Are you not the same bloke ,who stated 6pm in Melbourne for the Storm is a crap schedule.

Yet memberships are at record levels for the game, go figure.
Defending mediocrity WTF,I'm spelling out factors I believe stuff crowd attendances.You think I'm for stagnation FFS.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I can understand a Sydney club doing so but I would have thought it was essential for Melbourne to play all home games at AAMI in such a critical expansion market for the game. I don't understand the logic outside of the cash grab.

carcharias

Immortal
When will people figure out that AFL is more popular than NRL as a game to watch live?

If it were just a Melbourne thing then the storm would get WAY bigger crowds.

Not sure why people even give a shit to be honest.

Soccer is also WAY more popular
So is golf
America footy
Basketball
Cricket
Tennis probably
UFC
Boxing
Golf

Hillsong is probably more popular FFS

Springs09

Juniors
The 'Melbourne thing' definitely has something to do with it. The Victory easily get the best A-League attendances. The Storm also punch above their weight when it comes to NRL attendances given how small a sport RL really is down there.

On the other side, the Broncos attract 2x as much as the Lions do.

But AFL attendances are insane really. Per capita they have to be the best attended sport in the world. They average nearly as much as the EPL, and the EPL is the dominant competition across a country of 60 million, while the AFL is the dominant competition across half a country of 20 million.

When it comes to average attendances across all sports across all countries, the NRL is fine. It's just we are always compared to our neighbour sport with their insane crowds.

Timmah

Staff member
R9: 124,504 / Average: 15,563
2018: 1,151,188 / Average: 15,989

2017: 1,131,160 / Average: 15,711

Looking ok so far.

This weekend...
Tigers v Cowboys @ Leichhardt - 9,000
Knights v Panthers @ MJS - 18,000
Bulldogs v Eels @ ANZ - 16,000
Warriors v Roosters @ Mt Smart - 18,000
Double Header @ Suncorp - 41,000
Souths v Dragons @ ANZ - 26,000
Raiders v Sharks @ GIO - 12,500
140,500 average 17,562

Logic:
- Tigers at a suburban ground, 3 losses straight, Thursday night. sub 10k
- Knights still attracting good crowds, Newy seems to enjoy that 6pm Fri slot
- Dogs v Eels will be a flop crowd wise. Both out of form
- Warriors going well, should be a good crowd
- Double header is a shot in the dark, havent even checked previous DH crowds
- Souths v Dragons is being over-speculated IMO, Saints fans hate going to ANZ even allowing for their stunning form. And Souths members just don't turn up lol
- Raiders should get a decent enough crowd being a Sunday arvo

Stallion

First Grade
When will people figure out that AFL is more popular than NRL as a game to watch live?

If it were just a Melbourne thing then the storm would get WAY bigger crowds.

Not sure why people even give a shit to be honest.

Soccer is also WAY more popular
So is golf
America footy
Basketball
Cricket
Tennis probably
UFC
Boxing
Golf

Hillsong is probably more popular FFS

Rugby league doesn't enjoy the presence in all schooling systems that other codes do. Even where the state has rugby league as its go to code like NSW there are elite private schools that will play other codes and not RL. This is where rugby league's issues start .

Last edited:

Hoofhearted

Juniors

Looking ok so far.

This weekend...
140,500 average 17,562

Logic:
- Souths v Dragons is being over-speculated IMO, Saints fans hate going to ANZ even allowing for their stunning form. And Souths members just don't turn up lol
Tigers should be a sell out because its at a Suburban ground and everyone loves Suburban grounds, surprised they are not already lining up outside the ground to beat the line for the hot dog van

Warriors Fever

Juniors

Looking ok so far.

This weekend...
140,500 average 17,562

Logic:
Hard to argue with a lot of that
I reckon Canberra might pull as high as 15k they have developed a mutual hate with the sharks.
Hopefully eels vs dogs is bigger but i think will disappoint with form (should be early in the year to guarantee a good crowd)
We draw well against the roosters usually so hopefully the crowds continue.
Maybe being the first game at Leichhardt all year will boost the interest, not holding my breath...

Timmah

Staff member
Nrl can count it double again ..

And pump up the average ..
NRL don't "count" crowds, at least not publicly. The closest it comes to is Big League magazine who've been inconsistent across the 3 DH's this year.

Either way good for you talking a positive down again

Perth Red

Post Whore
The 'Melbourne thing' definitely has something to do with it. The Victory easily get the best A-League attendances. The Storm also punch above their weight when it comes to NRL attendances given how small a sport RL really is down there.

On the other side, the Broncos attract 2x as much as the Lions do.

But AFL attendances are insane really. Per capita they have to be the best attended sport in the world. They average nearly as much as the EPL, and the EPL is the dominant competition across a country of 60 million, while the AFL is the dominant competition across half a country of 20 million.

When it comes to average attendances across all sports across all countries, the NRL is fine. It's just we are always compared to our neighbour sport with their insane crowds.

Its probably the stagnation(in reality reduction in last few years) that is the bigger issue. You'd want to see your sport getting more popular Id have thought? As said AFL is just an anomaly in their attendance and pointless comparing ourselves as we will always fall short. Better to have a growth target and actively be pursuing it. Like maybe a 20k avg target lol.

Latest posts