What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
f**king kill Thursday night football especially during truncated rounds.

If there are 4 games on, why waste one on a f**king Thursday night when no one wants to go.

f**k me the NRL are dumb

One of the bad parts of the Smith FTA deal. Should have been like AFL and limited Thursday nights, say ten a season. But we were the ones moaning about not being able to watch every game live so we now reap the consequences of that whinge.

NRL dont care, they got the $925mill in the bank. TV dont care, they get good audiences on Thurs night. Clubs dont care, they're getting $13mill a year grant thank you very much.
Only people screwed are the fans who want to go and watch their club at a reasonable time on a reasonable day.

I do wonder how in the long term the apathy of watching on TV, lets be honest you are hardly financially or emotionally invested when you watch your team on the gogglebox, will translate into less fans following the game?

carcharias

Immortal
More like -

The can't be arsed's - will go if every element of attending is perfect, otherwise sit at home and ask why would I pay to go to a game? Then complain the crowds are sht
The homebase supporters- I'll go to home games but dont expect me to travel or pay to get into someone elses grounds. Negates the value of having nine teams in one city.
The real fans - love their club and support them regardless, add value to tribalism by actually going to away grounds and creating some atmosphere.

What group does that put you in?
No team
No games
Just non stop whinging about other teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hmm lets see, regular interstate and occasional international trips to watch the game. Regularly go to State comp games. Attend every NRL game in Perth and drag along as many as I can with me. Member of a club not even in my State. Will be first in line for premium ticketed membership if and when we ever get a team.

One thing I can guarantee is I wont make excuses not to support my team if its raining or I have to drive for 45mins lol

carcharias

Immortal
Hmm lets see, regular interstate and occasional international trips to watch the game. Regularly go to State comp games. Attend every NRL game in Perth and drag along as many as I can with me. Member of a club not even in my State. Will be first in line for premium ticketed membership if and when we ever get a team.

One thing I can guarantee is I wont make excuses not to support my team if its raining or I have to drive for 45mins lol

Um
You’ve already used the weather as an excuse for the pathetic roll up to a game in Perth.

Attend what... 1 game in Perth every 12 months?

Regular interstate = how many this year?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Um
You’ve already used the weather as an excuse for the pathetic roll up to a game in Perth.

Attend what... 1 game in Perth every 12 months?

Regular interstate = how many this year?

not for me not going. I cant control what others do or dont do. I find Australians generally pretty soft when it comes to the weather lol I attend EVERY game in Perth, not my fault there are so few opportunities.

Last year 1 Melbourne, 2 Sydney, 1 Brisbane games, RLWC final and GF.

This year I'll probably get two in though off to Thailand, US and Canada so that will curtail my NRL trips.
If they do a SL DH in NY in next year or so I'll talk the Mrs into a trip for that. I enjoy combining holidays with RL.

Maybe my list needs a new category: Traveler - Fans who don't have an NRL team in their city so have to travel.

carcharias

Immortal
not for me not going. I cant control what others do or dont do. I find Australians generally pretty soft when it comes to the weather lol I attend EVERY game in Perth, not my fault there are so few opportunities.

Last year 1 Melbourne, 2 Sydney, 1 Brisbane games, RLWC final and GF.

This year I'll probably get two in though off to Thailand, US and Canada so that will curtail my NRL trips.
If they do a SL DH in NY in next year or so I'll talk the Mrs into a trip for that. I enjoy combining holidays with RL.

Maybe my list needs a new category: Traveler - Fans who don't have an NRL team in their city so have to travel.

So none this year?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Told you we are likely to catch a couple but depends on funds. We will get to at least one game in Melbourne, who knows we might be back at the GF for a back to back lol

I'm in Sydney next week but sods law there is no Thursday game!

BlueandGold

Juniors
The NRL gave the clubs 48m a year directly into the football department to make up for scheduling like this.

Time to build a bridge, the clubs got what they wanted and Thursday was part of the deal.

carcharias

Immortal
Told you we are likely to catch a couple but depends on funds. We will get to at least one game in Melbourne, who knows we might be back at the GF for a back to back lol

I'm in Sydney next week but sods law there is no Thursday game!

I’m “ planning” on going to every single game played for the rest of the year.

Valheru

Coach
Do any non-Sydney teams draw fans in Sydney

Would be interesting to see what away crowds are for each team and if any correlation can be drawn or if Sydneysiders are more interested in Sydney v Sydney games.

Warriors when they are going well draw a heap of kiwi expats.

From my experience, Brisbane consistently draw the most.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The NRL gave the clubs 48m a year directly into the football department to make up for scheduling like this.

Time to build a bridge, the clubs got what they wanted and Thursday was part of the deal.
maybe the NRL needs to stop asking clubs what they want because it'll be the easy fix every time.
incentives for increased memberships & average attendances & associated revenues that are proven in financial audits & make clubs work for these bonus's

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
More like -

The can't be arsed's - will go if every element of attending is perfect, otherwise sit at home and ask why would I pay to go to a game? Then complain the crowds are sht
The homebase supporters- I'll go to home games but dont expect me to travel or pay to get into someone elses grounds. Negates the value of having nine teams in one city.
The real fans - love their club and support them regardless, add value to tribalism by actually going to away grounds and creating some atmosphere.
Your problem is your consistent view that somehow everyone in the RL community (i.e. even casual fans) must fit into your view of what a fan is.

Casting bullshit labels on people, particularly the millions who'll never read your petty diatribe, isn't instructive and only contributes negativity to the debate.

Solutions on how the casual fan - those ones who'll attend in the right circumstances - can be attracted to attend more footy, are what are needed.

Calling anyone on this forum a "can't be arsed" does nothing. At all. Most if not all people on this forum love their footy and go to games wherever possible.

carcharias

Immortal
yawn, jog on. Come back to me when you've traveled and spent as much as I have watching RL.
Hahaha
f**k off
40 years straight following the sharks
Every home game rain hail or shine
Too many derby’s too recall
Almost every finals match in Sydney
Been to Penrith manly sfs anz Wollongong Townsville Leichhardt Belmore , the old roosters sports ground, Redfern, Henson
I’ve even played on shark park, jubilee, belmore ( still got the big league for that one- Ricky is in the cover )

You’ve blown in from f**k knows where and been to about 30 games.

Edit:
How’d I forget
Parramatta, lidcombe Brisbane and state of origin in Melbourne about 12 years ago.
Plus a few in Sydney .

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
maybe the NRL needs to stop asking clubs what they want because it'll be the easy fix every time.
incentives for increased memberships & average attendances & associated revenues that are proven in financial audits & make clubs work for these bonus's
Dave, actually read what he said. NRL gave the clubs plenty of dosh to make up for the fact.

The clubs need to do a better job marketing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your problem is your consistent view that somehow everyone in the RL community (i.e. even casual fans) must fit into your view of what a fan is.

Casting bullshit labels on people, particularly the millions who'll never read your petty diatribe, isn't instructive and only contributes negativity to the debate.

Solutions on how the casual fan - those ones who'll attend in the right circumstances - can be attracted to attend more footy, are what are needed.

Calling anyone on this forum a "can't be arsed" does nothing. At all. Most if not all people on this forum love their footy and go to games wherever possible.

I dont have a problem :) I fully accept NRL isnt either A) as well supported as we wished or B) has fair weather fans who are reluctant to get out in large numbers consistently to attend games. Its a shame as we have a great "product" but it is what it is.

And I didn't call anyone on here anything, I merely put forward an alternative categorisation of the NRL fanbase.If people see themselves in one of those categories that is their reflection.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hahaha
f**k off
40 years straight following the sharks
Every home game rain hail or shine
Too many derby’s too recall
Almost every finals match in Sydney
Been to Penrith manly sfs anz Wollongong Townsville Leichhardt Belmore , the old roosters sports ground, Redfern, Henson
I’ve even played on shark park, jubilee, belmore ( still got the big league for that one- Ricky is in the cover )

Is that it? And you call yourself a RL fan?