What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Raiderdave

First Grade
Do you drive to Sydney games?

Oh

And the sharks don’t seem to need me when they play in Canberra.
sometimes

I can assure you if we had no more then a few hours round trip ( like all sydneysiders ) instead of 6
a lot of Canberrans would , most weeks , we're just a more dedicated better class of fan.

Oh & ditto
I don't travel to shark park , as I'm not required there to get my side up either : )

carcharias

Immortal
Mate I travel to Sydney for the odd NQ away game (I also head up to NQ for home games).

I wish it was only $150 and 3 hours in travel....... but I get your point.

$150 plus 3 hrs is for us from Sydney
I reckon that’s being generous as well.

carcharias

Immortal
sometimes

I can assure you if we had no more then a few hours round trip ( like all sydneysiders ) instead of 6
a lot of Canberrans would , most weeks , we're just a more dedicated better class of fan.

Oh & ditto
I don't travel to shark park , as I'm not required there to get my side up either : )
“Sometimes “
So you don’t help your team at away games.

adamkungl

Immortal
6000 on a freezing thursday at a shit ground is pretty much standard fare for one of the smaller Sydney clubs v Cows.

But the clock is ticking on Brookvale.
Within a few years 5 of the 9 Sydney clubs will be playing out of brand spanking new stadiums capable of handling any weather and their crowds (and thus incomes) will be climbing as a result. Wollongong, Kogarah, Penrith and Cronulla are better venues in every possible way than Brookvale and probably more likely to receive upgrades if they're available.

Manly won't be pushed out but if they don't act somehow they will be left behind.

Clifferd

Coach
NRL is face down ass up to their broadcasters that’s why

Crowd probably doubles if it was on the 2pm Sunday timeslot like it should’ve

El Diablo

Post Whore
6000 on a freezing thursday at a shit ground is pretty much standard fare for one of the smaller Sydney clubs v Cows.

Within a few years 5 of the 9 Sydney clubs will be playing out of brand spanking new stadiums capable of handling any weather and their crowds (and thus incomes) will be climbing as a result. Wollongong, Kogarah, Penrith and Cronulla are better venues in every possible way than Brookvale and probably more likely to receive upgrades if they're available.

Manly won't be pushed out but if they don't act somehow they will be left behind.
Manly have had a PM and a Premier as their federal and state members yet somehow have been incapable of getting it upgraded

run by amateurs

Diesel

Referee
Do any non-Sydney teams draw fans in Sydney

Would be interesting to see what away crowds are for each team and if any correlation can be drawn or if Sydneysiders are more interested in Sydney v Sydney games.

carcharias

Immortal
Do any non-Sydney teams draw fans in Sydney

Would be interesting to see what away crowds are for each team and if any correlation can be drawn or if Sydneysiders are more interested in Sydney v Sydney games.
I think there a few different groups
The bandwagoners - go when the team is winning
The season ticket holders - go to home games
The face painters - virgins who go to all games no matter where.

carcharias

Immortal
sometimes is infinitely more often then you by your own admission , & you don't have a 6 hour round trip to any games in Sydney ever...

Mate I live in the shire
To you that is the equivalent of living on a 5 Star tropical island resort.
Why the f**k would I want to leave?

big hit!

Bench

wouldn't be much more anywhere else on freezing week night and live on tele -> that's thing, you can watch it with the gas heater on in the warmth of your house eating the home cooked meal the missus prepped for you, and then you can be in the sack giving her your thank you within a few minutes of full time and then rest for the next day at work. best of everything

Lambretta

First Grade
NRL is face down ass up to their broadcasters that’s why

Crowd probably doubles if it was on the 2pm Sunday timeslot like it should’ve

The broadcasters are f**king thick
Do they really think anyone wants to watch a game played in front of f**king no one?
I am a league tragic and I could barely watch it at times - who does this shit appeal to?

It's not even as if Channel 9 has exclusivity

The broadcasters should care a lot more than they do about the product they are buying

It's like going to buy a brand new car and then smashing the front screen before you drive it out the showroom, because "I f**king paid for it didn't I?"

Wankers

As for the NRL - they need to tell the broadcasters that they won't stand for falling crowds and if TV picks unpopular time slots the NRL reserves the right to get them to change it

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think there a few different groups
The bandwagoners - go when the team is winning
The season ticket holders - go to home games
The face painters - virgins who go to all games no matter where.

More like -

The can't be arsed's - will go if every element of attending is perfect, otherwise sit at home and ask why would I pay to go to a game? Then complain the crowds are sht
The homebase supporters- I'll go to home games but dont expect me to travel or pay to get into someone elses grounds. Negates the value of having nine teams in one city.
The real fans - love their club and support them regardless, add value to tribalism by actually going to away grounds and creating some atmosphere.