What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Origin I - QLD 12-22 NSW @ MCG

Series: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tommy Smith

Referee
Cordner is one of those players, like Simon Mannering or Craig Fitzgibbon, who I'd refer to 'as a test of true rugby league knowledge'

If you ask someone who would you prefer, Fitzgibbon or Feleti Mateo? And they say Mateo, well then they don't truly understand rugby league.

Or who would you prefer, Simon Mannering or Dave Taylor? The misguided would choose Taylor.

Another good one - who would you prefer, Maloney or Moylan? Poor Mxlegend was aghast at the swap because he simply doesn't get "it". He sees the flash and that's it. I had to console these Penrith merkins and explain that they were getting a great player who'd improve their team.

Alas some like mx could only see the missed tackles and not the subtle brilliance of Jimmy, because they just don't get 'it'.

And similarly because Cordner doesn't make baenstorming breaks or give flashy flick passes, they miss the true value he brings to a team - his stamina, relentless work ethic in making the tough runs, his great D, his line running and decoy running in attack (led to a try for Latrell), and his on field leadership.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don’t think Cordners as bad as most fans make out, but he isn’t the God Roosters fans seem to think he is either. Somewhere in between in where he lays.

OldPanther

Coach
JDB deserves a bit more credit than he is getting in this thread.

I thought that defensively we were much better when he was on the field, and when qld were dominating early in the second half, he came on about the 60 minute mark and their domination ended (obviously not the only factor but he was definitely a factor).

Two of the Blues tries also came off good middle runs and quick play the balls from him, with the dummy halfs (cook and Tedesco) capitalising off his good work.

JDB was amazing and should be classed as a deadly weapon for his defence. Wish he got more minutes.

Cordner is one of those players, like Simon Mannering or Craig Fitzgibbon, who I'd refer to 'as a test of true rugby league knowledge'

If you ask someone who would you prefer, Fitzgibbon or Feleti Mateo? And they say Mateo, well then they don't truly understand rugby league.

Or who would you prefer, Simon Mannering or Dave Taylor? The misguided would choose Taylor.

Another good one - who would you prefer, Maloney or Moylan? Poor Mxlegend was aghast at the swap because he simply doesn't get "it". He sees the flash and that's it. I had to console these Penrith merkins and explain that they were getting a great player who'd improve their team.

Alas some like mx could only see the missed tackles and not the subtle brilliance of Jimmy, because they just don't get 'it'.

And similarly because Cordner doesn't make baenstorming breaks or give flashy flick passes, they miss the true value he brings to a team - his stamina, relentless work ethic in making the tough runs, his great D, his line running and decoy running in attack (led to a try for Latrell), and his on field leadership.

I upgraded my membership when Maloney signed but to be fair a lot of us liked Moylan.

On Cordner: I don't know if I'd call him bad or good but you can't use his run metres as an indication. He got more volume with the interchange(played 80). When Klemmer and RCG came off they were equal most metres but have to sit out for 20 - 30 minutes.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I don’t think Cordners as bad as most fans make out, but he isn’t the God Roosters fans seem to think he is either. Somewhere in between in where he lays.
We just call him a God to raise the blood pressure of the Penrith faithful who worship at the altar of Yeo.

It's funny to see them, and half of the Blues fans frankly, froth at the mouth because of a bloke they're supposed to support.

One thing QLDers never do is savagely turn on their own. I don't see them ripping into Dallas Johnson or Nate Myles in past years. Especially after a win ffs.

adamkungl

Immortal

No one's making out he's SBW or Taumololo.

He's utterly reliable, a smart footballer, disciplined, and does the dirty work most players don't, can't or won't do for the full 80. And scores a few tries here and there.

Gal had a bigger impact in the line but far worse discipline and felt the need to insert himself into the backline in redzone plays.
Guys like Woods have the workrate but not the reliability or fitness.

Every team needs someone like Cordner.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
2012 series ring any bells?

Hodges shepherd, try awarded, Inglis knock on, try awarded.

QLD'ers, cant win with any humility & can't lose with any dignity.

Agree he almost out doged McCat tonight.

Jesus McCat is as bad as some 1/2's, carry's on like a petulant twat knowing a player cant land one on his jaw. All he did tonight was play the wanna be tough man tonight, taken over Sam & Hodges mantle well.

A very Blue interpretation of humility.

Even when they win...

mxlegend99

Referee

And similarly because Cordner doesn't make baenstorming breaks or give flashy flick passes, they miss the true value he brings to a team - his stamina, his great D, his line running and decoy running in attack (led to a try for Latrell), and his on field leadership.
No one would pick Taylor or Mateo. That's your true test?

My issue was losing a quality junior that has 5 to 10 years left in him for a rugby league journeymen coming of a poor season with possibly only one or two good seasons left in him. Talent and flash were irrelevant. Age and longterm effect were.

I love plenty of non flashy players. Cleary is not a flashy player. Yeo is not a flashy player. Mansour is not a flashy player. JFH. CHN. Etc. Are not flashy players. Deadset. I love tough merkin players who just aren't one dimensional.

OldPanther

Coach
We just call him a God to raise the blood pressure of the Penrith faithful who worship at the altar of Yeo.

It's funny to see them, and half of the Blues fans frankly, froth at the mouth because of a bloke they're supposed to support.

One thing QLDers never do is savagely turn on their own. I don't see them ripping into Dallas Johnson or Nate Myles in past years. Especially after a win ffs.

But Yeo is a football god though

As long as we keep winning. Cordner would be good if he'd learn to offload on the back of his kamikaze runs into the defence. With guys like Tedesco hanging around the defence would get wrecked.

TheFrog

Coach
The two aren't even in competition for a place in the side. Yeo is competing with Crichton for a place on the bench at this point in time. He's not going to make it this year, if he works really hard and keeps his form up he might make it next year.

mxlegend99

Referee
The two aren't even in competition for a place in the side. Yeo is competing with Crichton for a place on the bench at this point in time. He's not going to make it this year, if he works really hard and keeps his form up he might make it next year.
I thought we were talking Yeo up tongue in cheek as part of the Fraudner trolling?

He isnt even on the Origin radar for mine.

mxlegend99

Referee
Look at these poor souls. They were inconsolable!

View attachment 20670
View attachment 20671

A terrible signing he reckoned!

Thankfully Tommy came along to console the Penrith masses with his words of wisdom...

View attachment 20673

So you see I was in fact not full of shit :D
I expected him to go the way of James Tamou. I am gladly wrong. Although our cap is a mess right now..thats well publicised. Tamou. Maloney and Merrin locked in on big money. Trying to keep Cleary too.

What the f**k does that have to do with Fraudner being shit?

TheFrog

Coach
So you see I was in fact not full of shit :D
We've had this chat before. Moylan was seen as the future of the club and it came as a shock. Umina is a massive Moylan fan whoever he plays for. MX is, well, a tad excitable. You are correct though, in that Maloney in his first few games for us occupied the hallowed position on the Panthers forum formerly enjoyed by the likes of Paul Franze, Adam Woolnough, Brent Kite and Adrian Purtell.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Panthers fans over rate their own moreso then most clubs fans. When Nathan comes to daddy they’ll claim Tyrone May was always the better player and one they wanted to keep.

In all honesty if I could sign Cordner or Yeo I’d take Yeo. 3 years ago Boyd no question but today he’s one of the most one dimensional forwards in the game. I know Roosters fans will be up in arms over this, but I don’t see much difference between him and Chris Lawrence these days.

Latest posts