What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Trials

OldPanther

Coach
I've downloaded the game to my phone and watched the start a few times and there was definitely two different Panthers teams yesterday.

Before RCG try: we were rusty as hell but ran good shapes in attack and the defence kept the dogs in their end well. We looked like we just needed time between here and round 1 to fine tune things like timing. Reminded me of the Cows in the "TPA Trial". Unlike last year we had depth in our attack and we used inside/outside runners off the halves every time they had the ball with a deep backling meaning plenty of options. There was also a varied kicking game.

Post RCG try: We looked like elite Griffinball. Centres/wingers running sideways and props plodding their one outs. No effort in defence.

Players who stood out:

Kikau should have a big year. Very impressed with him since the world cup.

Merrin is playing as a ball playing lock + looks fit/strong and can bend the line back. Nice hybrid between prop style/ball playing lock.

Peachey looks like his head is at the Titans already. Real shame hope he improves as I'm a fan.

Crichton looks to be the goods.

Which team shows up in the regular season is anyone's guess and I hope they were just told to not take it seriously after the dogs named a reserve team.

mxlegend99

Referee
Hey real talk! Missed you. Are you saying Griffin is playing mind games? Surely BA didn't rattle him by being at the game.
The problem with this theory is you gain nothing by the time finals roll around. Scared to give slmething away for Round 1?

Guess what in Round 2 the secrets out...

Although the secret is already out. Hook is a terrible coach.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
The problem with this theory is you gain nothing by the time finals roll around. Scared to give slmething away for Round 1?

Guess what in Round 2 the secrets out...

Although the secret is already out. Hook is a terrible coach.

Yeah the mind games are pointless. At least he was discussing things without the petty stuff which was nice.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah the mind games are pointless. At least he was discussing things without the petty stuff which was nice.
I dont buy it.

Yesterday was exactly the same shit we saw last season. Especially with the ball. No signs of structure or game plan.

mxlegend99

Referee
When absolutely nothing whatsoever is at stake, there is very little difference.
In a game like that. Pride is at stake.

Look at the effort Thurston put into a nothing game against Storm. He has won it all. He still cared about winning a game with nothing at stake.

That's what winners do. I thought James Maloney was supposed to bring that. Yet his only contribution was getting steamrolled for a try. Then giving a penalty away immediately after it.

kinghippo

Juniors
Knights coach Nathan Brown expected more from his team against a full strength Parramatta. Bevan French got singled out for not putting more effort in to stop a try in a decent win.
Obviously other coaches in the comp demand some professionalism from their team.
Griffin is not concerned we got “out-enthused” by a “really good team”.
60% completions is what killed the first half of our season last year, that out of everything is the main worry for me.
I agree with the notion that trials don’t really count but we had our first grade team on for the first half and came in behind a reserve grade team. That can’t be dismissed completely.
A slick trial win would have taken a lot of pressure off a team that have taken hits all offseason.

OldPanther

Coach
Knights coach Nathan Brown expected more from his team against a full strength Parramatta. Bevan French got singled out for not putting more effort in to stop a try in a decent win.
Obviously other coaches in the comp demand some professionalism from their team.
60% completions is what killed the first half of our season last year, that out of everything is the main worry for me.
I agree with the notion that trials don’t really count but we had our first grade team on for the first half and came in behind a reserve grade team. That can’t be dismissed completely.
A slick trial win would have taken a lot of pressure off a team that have taken hits all offseason.

He doesn’t sound like he's trying to build an elite team.

franklin2323

Immortal
Hey real talk! Missed you. Are you saying Griffin is playing mind games? Surely BA didn't rattle him by being at the game.

Would say mind games trials mean not a great deal to anyone. Like Storm lost to NQ and Knights. Does that mean no one should fear them?

It was pushing 40c yesterday yet we played our starters all half. We clearly had a plan. Blowing them off the park wasn't going to happen the moment we did that long stint.

sure not all went to plan but no injuries and got good minutes out of everyone. Wasn't too many linebreaks from them was a good thing

mxlegend99

Referee
Exactly.

Its just a trial. Sure. But if you name a full strength team you would expect to get an idea on what to expect in the regular season.

The effort. The discipline. Seeing combinations starting to form. Seeing players who look primed for a big season and so on.

When theres a world of difference between your team snd the opposition you would slso expect to see exactly what sort of damage the team is capable of doing. Even a half hearted effort our halves and backs should have torn the Bulldogs to shreds out wide.

Yet it was our defence that was exposed. If we played like that against an NRL team we would have 50 put on us easily.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Would say mind games trials mean not a great deal to anyone. Like Storm lost to NQ and Knights. Does that mean no one should fear them?

It was pushing 40c yesterday yet we played our starters all half. We clearly had a plan. Blowing them off the park wasn't going to happen the moment we did that long stint.

sure not all went to plan but no injuries and got good minutes out of everyone. Wasn't too many linebreaks from them was a good thing

I saw it as a training run gone bad.

Am I ready to tear my hair out and join a nunnery. No.

NQ lost to West Tigers by 15 or so points. (1st week of the trials)

Would I prefer if we'd won last night. Yes.

Will last night's mean anything come the 'proper games' in the NRL. No.

Will the bleating stop NO

franklin2323

Immortal
I saw it as a training run gone bad.

Am I ready to tear my hair out and join a nunnery. No.

NQ lost to West Tigers by 15 or so points. (1st week of the trials)

Would I prefer if we'd won last night. Yes.

Will last night's mean anything come the 'proper games' in the NRL. No.

Will the bleating stop NO

Knights also beat Canberra 44-0 in a trial last year

Pretty much this. Even if we won it would of been 'we only won due to a poor opposition'

We got minutes into players which is better than this time last year. No injuries is good

1st trial we looked so good. We have 2 contrasting videos to study now Atleast

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
My biggest annoyance is we don't publicly bag refs or call out players. We never do such thing but I have no doubt Peachey will cop a blasting

Peach last night was dreadful. Shocking in fact. I can imagine (and hope) those tackle bags will be out in full swing come Monday.

I was pleased though with the little winger who replaced Dallin last night. Blake also looked quite OK, and big Sam has gotten through both trials OK too.

Bob

Juniors
It'd be alright if people could handle it when others give their opinion of things they think aren't good with the club.
Giving opinions is not the problem but when they say the same thing over and over again from thread to thread it gets a bit monotonous
People can rant all they like but it won’t change anything
If you want to change something stand at the next board elections,
And for the record I’m not a fan of Griffin and I don’t want Des here either
If we go down the path of a new coach McGuire would be my preferred option

Latest posts