What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 1st Test Australia v England, Edgbaston Aug 1-5

Meth

Staff member
Absolutely amazing the difference that the inclusion of one player can make to a side. Smith is an absolute freak.

I doubt dramatic changes will be made off the back of a win, but I can't believe Hazelwood and Starc are behind Pattinson and Siddle.

England really missed Anderson in that 3rd innings.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The fact that the garden gnome said it is enough for me

Cricket is a simple game, batsmen make runs and bowlers take wickets

Makes about as much sense as saying you pick batsman to not make runs

Ridiculous

wilco44

Juniors
Yep. And wickets are created through pressure.

You rarely have four strike bowlers playing in the same team. Hazlewood isn’t a strike bowler either.

Reasoning is outlined here

OK! If Smithy wasn't playing..Poms would win in a canter. But Smithy is one in a Million.

The fact that the garden gnome said it is enough for me

Cricket is a simple game, batsmen make runs and bowlers take wickets

Makes about as much sense as saying you pick batsman to not make runs

Ridiculous

Gilchrist said it too. Read the article in the twitter link, starving the opposition of boundaries was a tactic in India 2004.

Surely this isn’t a new tactic to anyone that follows cricket? Lack of runs builds pressure, it’s as old as the game itself. We’ve repeatedly tried to blast English lineups out in England and it hasn’t worked, was about time they tried a new strategy.

wilco44

Juniors
OK - I doubt Siddle will handle the stress of his body - bloody Vegans..lol! Yes, starving runs but all the bowlers starved runs - the first innings - but patto 3.00 Siddle 2.00 2nd Inn Patto again. though Patto on wicket which can create drama's - His my pick and Starc and Cummins and Lyon.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Wickets win Test matches.

Playing the correct bowling group and not having 1 going at 4 runs an over like Starc would does more. England conditions are about line and length and doing just enough both ways. Look at what Woakes does in these conditions

wilco44

Juniors
Sometimes here on the forum, I'm not sure if they're mucking around or they are selectors! G Chappell - I wasn't to be a batsman like him, though my skill level for a cover driver was f'n poor. I could cut and pull - many ex's have said that!
What Greg said also - 5 Test's in a short period, so I think changes will be made. Example - Anderson. He wasn't fit to begin with with the POMS - Great :p:D

lockyno1

Post Whore
Sometimes here on the forum, I'm not sure if they're mucking around or they are selectors! G Chappell - I wasn't to be a batsman like him, though my skill level for a cover driver was f'n poor. I could cut and pull - many ex's have said that!
What Greg said also - 5 Test's in a short period, so I think changes will be made. Example - Anderson. He wasn't fit to begin with with the POMS - Great :p:D

Hazelwood would play if Siddle doesn’t anyway. If Pattinson needs a break then Starc will unfortunately play. Let’s hope that’s not till after we win the series.

wilco44

Juniors
Hazelwood would play if Siddle doesn’t anyway. If Pattinson needs a break then Starc will unfortunately play. Let’s hope that’s not till after we win the series.
Starc is one of our best bowlers, Hazelwood he's like Glenn Mcgrath - line and length. Though I prefer Starc as he has the X factor and when he's on..the best batsman are screwed.

Starc is one of our best bowlers, Hazelwood he's like Glenn Mcgrath - line and length. Though I prefer Starc as he has the X factor and when he's on..the best batsman are screwed.

Starc's strength is cleaning up the tail, not getting the best batsmen out.

The Stats show it too

Starc

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerWicketAnalysisGraph.asp?PlayerID=3830

Cummins

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerWicketAnalysisGraph.asp?PlayerID=3909

Hazlewood

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerWicketAnalysisGraph.asp?PlayerID=3799