What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 5th Test Australia v England, The Oval Sept 12-16

Mr Spock!

Referee
Yeah. I can make totally irrelevant hypothetical statements that can never be proven or disproven too... Fact is Smith is a weak tactician and his absolute failure of leadership in SA should have his papers stamped.

This is Australia though so he'll probably waltz back in because we're obsessed with making our best bat captain

Captaincy record is 18-10. Wasn't that much wrong with his captaincy. Didn';t f**k up too many drs's. Probably not as good as yours in the local Division 4 comp or Paine's though.

I suppose you'll be whinging when MMarsh is made captain.

Yeah. I can make totally irrelevant hypothetical statements that can never be proven or disproven too... Fact is Smith is a weak tactician and his absolute failure of leadership in SA should have his papers stamped.

This is Australia though so he'll probably waltz back in because we're obsessed with making our best bat captain

Who is your suggestion?

Why would you burden Smith with the captaincy?? As Baz has said he wasn’t that great a tactician to begin with. Just let him bat and bat and bat and bat and bat. Without captaincy his batting had gone to another level not worrying about anything but his batting, and if in the field he sees something he can always give a heads up to the skipper. Options are thin on the ground besides Paine, probably Oozie or Head and both are out of this test. It’s shows what an utter failure CA have been the last decade with a vacuum of test quality bats and a lack of leadership around the game.

His batting average for the last series in Australia when he was captain was higher than this series. I’m not sure the captaincy was a burden.

I could see Cummins being captain, but given the bowler rotation & injury concerns I’m not sure that’s the way they’d go. But I’d be cool with giving him a shot, starting this summer.

Bazal

Post Whore
Captaincy record is 18-10. Wasn't that much wrong with his captaincy. Didn';t f**k up too many drs's. Probably not as good as yours in the local Division 4 comp or Paine's though.

I suppose you'll be whinging when MMarsh is made captain.

Lol he mad.

I haven't mentioned Mitch Marsh. You really do talk a lot of shit.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
His batting average for the last series in Australia when he was captain was higher than this series. I’m not sure the captaincy was a burden.
It was in South Africa, he allowed Warner and Bancroft to do what they did.

So you’d have to ask where his head was at?? It was a total failure of leadership as far as I’m concerned and if that wasn’t a burden I don’t know what is.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
It was in South Africa, he allowed Warner and Bancroft to do what they did.

So you’d have to ask where his head was at?? It was a total failure of leadership as far as I’m concerned and I that wasn’t a burden I don’t know what is.

But but but he won a handful of tests!

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Smith also let the game drift and ive no doubt he would be making the same errors Paine did. Maybe the toss if Paine just bottled it after seeing the tiniest bit of green and it wasnt a team decision Smith would have got right.

The lame tactics to the tail im sure they have some kind of computer program telling them what to do.

Smith wears his emotions on his sleeve and failed in his role in South Africa. Just let the guy bat without the pressure of leadership. Make him VC if people want the symbolism of him being completely forgiven by Australian cricket. He is well respected and any captain would listen to any ideas he has.

Head or Cummins, at the moment. Hard to say really, but that also doesn't mean I'd want to go back to Smith just by default. He's a pretty poor captain.

But is there evidence Head is a good tactical captain? I’d rather experience of Smith unless it’s obvious the other captain is going to be much better.

Cummins we’re just taking a guess at, he hasn’t captained at any high level. But I’d still take a flyer on him this summer if it means moving on from Paine.

Latest posts