What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 coach

Pomoz

Bench
Management of the salary cap is not a simple exercise. Yes CHN, Peachy (and others in the past) were signed and locked up no question. Gould has demonstrated time and time again he places the interests of individual players first ahead of self interest or other selfish reasons. Clearly, the decision to release both mentioned players was done with the interests of the players at the forefront and at the same time freed up cap space obviously needed to ensure the strongest squad available for 2019 and beyond.
The reason he works this way is because in the long run, what is best for the individual is what is best for the club. Players watch how their peers are treated and it directly impacts how they think about the club. If the club is unfair, they won't want to stay here and certainly won't give their all. They see they are underpaid and get substantially more somewhere else, are they going to give their best effort? Won't they feel resentment? The team is everything, but within that you have to value people and treat them fairly and with compassion if you want the best out of them.

If they have personal issues and want to move, why stop them? Will we get the best from them if they are unhappy in their personal life? Moving isn't always the best answer, but when it is, we should support the player because we won't get any value out of a distracted unhappy player in the team. Ask the Titans about Cartwright.

Keep the playing group happy and success will follow. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that players should all get what they want, clearly that would send the team broke. But where it is obvious a player is underpaid then give them an increase where you can. If a player is offered more money elsewhere and wants to go, why would you make them stay? Aren't they telling you just by asking for a release that they consider money is more important than staying in the club right now? You try and convince them to stay, offer an increase where you can, but if they really want to go, why keep them? They will be demotivated and a source of disruption amongst the team.

People forget that in business when a person is unhappy with their salary they just get a job somewhere else, resign and leave. Why do we think players will feel different? If another club is offering them substantially more, question why that is? Sometimes it's because we just aren't paying them the right money, or their value relative to another club is higher because they are short in that position. Either way, if money is really important to them, they will be unhappy and won't deliver unless the situation is handled well. Sadly, sometimes it means letting them go.

maple_69

Bench
So serious question. What do we think Ivan will do? He’s never had a squad this good. We have rubbish discipline, zero attacking structure and defence is held together mostly by effort and scramble.

The main things Ivan has brought to clubs I’d suggest we already have, mainly from his first stint. I can’t wait to see what he has on top of all that. Defence and discipline is what we need out of him. I would hope that some luck with injuries will go part way to solving our lack of fluidity in attack given the cattle we have.

franklin2323

Immortal
So serious question. What do we think Ivan will do? He’s never had a squad this good. We have rubbish discipline, zero attacking structure and defence is held together mostly by effort and scramble.

The main things Ivan has brought to clubs I’d suggest we already have, mainly from his first stint. I can’t wait to see what he has on top of all that. Defence and discipline is what we need out of him. I would hope that some luck with injuries will go part way to solving our lack of fluidity in attack given the cattle we have.

I said elsewhere he needs Atleast 2 basic forwards. Even if they bring zero attacking can lessen JFH minutes which might cut out his errors and start Kikau off the bench 50 mins off the bench while I he learns to defend will help the team

MrBlack

Juniors
Like it or not he is our coach now.

What we all need to do is get on the bus.

No need to rush in, there's plenty of room.

Everyone except Tim Grant got off at the last stop.

Blues Riff

Bench
A few good quotes today from Alexander in the SMH article regarding Gould and Cleary.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/go...-panthers-says-alexander-20181101-p50dhz.html

"They have already worked together over the last three or four days that Ivan has been there. There was a meeting today with the assistant coaches."

"Everything is good. I think there was a lot of us at the club who didn’t agree with letting Ivan go in the first place."

"After two and a half seasons of Anthony Griffin, the chance to get Ivan back looked pretty attractive.
It was probably a shame we parted ways with him how we did in the first place."

OldPanther

Coach
A few good quotes today from Alexander in the SMH article regarding Gould and Cleary.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/go...-panthers-says-alexander-20181101-p50dhz.html

"They have already worked together over the last three or four days that Ivan has been there. There was a meeting today with the assistant coaches."

"Everything is good. I think there was a lot of us at the club who didn’t agree with letting Ivan go in the first place."

"After two and a half seasons of Anthony Griffin, the chance to get Ivan back looked pretty attractive.
It was probably a shame we parted ways with him how we did in the first place."

It seems a lot of people at the club see it as rectifying a mistake. As do I.

Panther Mick

Juniors
We could start to see a more humble and low profile Gus too.....maybe not.

source.gif