What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 coach

Flashstep

Juniors
the 3 years straight is great but for me. How many guys are left from 2016? That is my concern. We get injuries x player comes in and steps up. We rush to get him a top 17 spot. Nothing wrong with keeping that player as depth until their deal runs out. That is why it feels like we aren't moving any further along

I agree with you in the fact that we do seem to release players rather easily, however players that leave our club do tend to regress elsewhere pretty quickly, I think the only players we got rid of that have come back to bite us from the 2016 team would be Moylan and Elijah Taylor, players like Segz, Cartwright, Latu, Matagi, Smith aren't half the players they were when they with us.

We did also let go of Peachey to easily as well, we should be trying to keep our players together unless we can get proven upgrades instead of expecting our Juniors to come in and fill their boots right away.

MrBlack

Juniors
I agree with you in the fact that we do seem to release players rather easily, however players that leave our club do tend to regress elsewhere pretty quickly, I think the only players we got rid of that have come back to bite us from the 2016 team would be Moylan and Elijah Taylor, players like Segz, Cartwright, Latu, Matagi, Smith aren't half the players they were when they with us.

We did also let go of Peachey to easily as well, we should be trying to keep our players together unless we can get proven upgrades instead of expecting our Juniors to come in and fill their boots right away.

agree pretty much with all of this.

Though Korisau would be handy to have kept.

Yea true Korisau would have been great to have right now

Well Des wants Foran back and Manly will need to shed a player or 2 to make it happen.
I wonder if Des is dumb enough to make the same mistake twice with his hookers. Dumping an experienced one in favour for a rookie? Koroisau out and Fainu in?

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal

Our top 17 probably wouldn't change but a few guys Crichton, Hetherington etc struggled due to a long run in FG. Keeping the likes of Latu etc means we can ease those guys into their careers.

2020 was the season we needed the money for upgrades. I don't see what 12 months would of hurt. Don't re-sign him but gives us 12 months extra to find someone. Particularly a backup centre

franklin2323

Immortal
If we had of kept CHN, Peachy etc you would now be complaining because we lost Waqa Blake, Viliame Kikau or whoever else because we weren't able to resign due to salary cap restraints. Sometimes tough decisions have to be made for the better good and that is simply what happened with CHN & Peachy.

I expect Trent Merrin will shortly be next player released early. Again, like CHN & Peachy I don't want to see him go, particularly if there was a chance he could rediscover this 2016 form, but at the end of the day if it is for the better good then I accept it is business that has to be done.

We had both those guys already signed for 2019. Re-signing them past then would of cost us the guys you mentioned.

what is another 204 FG gone... if Merrin goes ( I assume he will) we need to replace him

Flashstep

Juniors
Our top 17 probably wouldn't change but a few guys Crichton, Hetherington etc struggled due to a long run in FG. Keeping the likes of Latu etc means we can ease those guys into their careers.

2020 was the season we needed the money for upgrades. I don't see what 12 months would of hurt. Don't re-sign him but gives us 12 months extra to find someone. Particularly a backup centre

Good point it is important to have good competition for our juniors if they want to make it in FG long term.

Hetherington struggled because he's a f**king moron

Kilkenny

Coach
We had both those guys already signed for 2019. Re-signing them past then would of cost us the guys you mentioned.

what is another 204 FG gone... if Merrin goes ( I assume he will) we need to replace him

Management of the salary cap is not a simple exercise. Yes CHN, Peachy (and others in the past) were signed and locked up no question. Gould has demonstrated time and time again he places the interests of individual players first ahead of self interest or other selfish reasons. Clearly, the decision to release both mentioned players was done with the interests of the players at the forefront and at the same time freed up cap space obviously needed to ensure the strongest squad available for 2019 and beyond.

I doubt very much that Cleary is our Coach in 5 years. I think he will be moved into a management/recruitment role before then with Ciraldo being groomed to take over.

This will lock Nathan up with us indefinitely. Don't kid yourselves, he is a very special player. Given time he will develop very nicely.

Our club is in a strong position. We are not reliant on recruitment now, just retention.

I was just talking in general about the 5 year deals, we hand them out to a lot of people. And almost no one finishes them.

We will always be reliant on recruitment though, every club is. We simply aren’t going to win with just juniors. Our two premiership successes both had a goos smattering if outside talent, for 2003 in particular they were essential.

MrBlack

Juniors
Management of the salary cap is not a simple exercise. Yes CHN, Peachy (and others in the past) were signed and locked up no question. Gould has demonstrated time and time again he places the interests of individual players first ahead of self interest or other selfish reasons. Clearly, the decision to release both mentioned players was done with the interests of the players at the forefront and at the same time freed up cap space obviously needed to ensure the strongest squad available for 2019 and beyond.

Spot on

We are a development club, but we cant keep everyone.

Players go through our system and if they are good enough we do what we can to keep them.

Blake, Kikau, Edwards, Cleary, DWZ etc (not all juniors but all development players). If we lost any of these players we would all want Gould's head.

Not saying that they get it right every time, but they do have a good success rate.

Looking after a players interest is how you attract a higher caliber player to begin with and enhance the culture of the club.

MrBlack

Juniors
I was just talking in general about the 5 year deals, we hand them out to a lot of people. And almost no one finishes them.

We will always be reliant on recruitment though, every club is. We simply aren’t going to win with just juniors. Our two premiership successes both had a goos smattering if outside talent, for 2003 in particular they were essential.

Probably should clarify my view - Agree we will need some recruitment, but only to fill a few gaps and not be the bulk of the team.

Probably should clarify my view - Agree we will need some recruitment, but only to fill a few gaps and not be the bulk of the team.

That entirely depends on the next 2-3 years.

If we haven’t made grand finals in that period I’d expect a player cleanout will happen.

It’s not enough to keep making week 2 of the finals & not progressing. A squad needs to keep improving or it needs to be rebuilt.

OldPanther

Coach
The thing is with outside recruitment...It is easy to be caught in the bubble that is Penrith. New recruits bring new insight it is impossible to get with only being around the same people

I agree with this. You have to have fresh ideas from time to time. As long as we have a strong core of players for the longterm we should be fine.

Latest posts