What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Sponsor?

carcharias

Immortal
What sort of involvement does Shimano have, or have had with the club? I know they have a box in the stands and quite a few of the big guys in the company are fans but is there any more to it than just that?

They used to sponsor the younger teams .
Dunfey died though
So I’m sure if they are still involved.

yadamisha

Juniors
Can’t even get a sponsor on the bottom of the shorts.

Shorts are fully sponsored (Autocraze, Sydney Freezers, Whale Logistics) and Opal are staying on, either on the sleeves or back somewhere, but we are missing the big two (major and stadium) plus 2 more for the jersey.

Shorts are fully sponsored (Autocraze, Sydney Freezers, Whale Logistics) and Opal are staying on, either on the sleeves or back somewhere, but we are missing the big two (major and stadium) plus 2 more for the jersey.

missing

stadium sponsor
a resource we own that is used a megre 12 times a year but anyway

major jersey sponsor
little under the collar bit sponsor
sleeve sponsor
back of jersey

the club won the comp 2 years ago and made a prelim last year

pathetic returns by management

They used to sponsor the younger teams .
Dunfey died though
So I’m sure if they are still involved.

Always been a sore point. Dunphy had enough coin himself (let alone Shimano) to save the joint and wouldn't do it, which is his right. He knocked back several administrators.

Many could not understand why he would not align Shimano with the Sharks more formally. It fits, Sharks/fishing- Shimano being local but Dunphy knocked them back time and again.

Barry is doing what every single CEO to come into the joint has done. He's opened the books, seen how "cheap" these sponsorship deals are and said that they are not good enough and is sure he could do better. That is until he knocks on doors and then understands how hard it is to sell our brand.

ok so what is it about the sport?
tv ratings wise we dwarf the afl on a week to week basis.

surely it cant just be because the players are numpties?

When the people who hold these meetings value "brand alignment" more than any other metric the AFL and until recently, cricket, wins every time.
There is a perception that Rugby League, despite having better ratings, better fan engagement digitally and more international reach is a bonehead sport played by boneheads and consumed by boneheads which is not helped one iota by the upper management and continually perpetuated by the players who are seen as the spokesmen of the game. When players are promoted post retirement into commentating roles the cycle just continues.

The other thing that hurts the Sharks is those that have invested almost always feel as though the returns never justify the costs. The big local businesses nearby are- Toyota, Pipe King (Aussie Duct), Caltex, Shimano. All have been on board at some stage and none are ever back for a second go- in any capacity. What does that tell you?

When the people who hold these meetings value "brand alignment" more than any other metric the AFL and until recently, cricket, wins every time.
There is a perception that Rugby League, despite having better ratings, better fan engagement digitally and more international reach is a bonehead sport played by boneheads and consumed by boneheads which is not helped one iota by the upper management and continually perpetuated by the players who are seen as the spokesmen of the game. When players are promoted post retirement into commentating roles the cycle just continues.

The other thing that hurts the Sharks is those that have invested almost always feel as though the returns never justify the costs. The big local businesses nearby are- Toyota, Pipe King (Aussie Duct), Caltex, Shimano. All have been on board at some stage and none are ever back for a second go- in any capacity. What does that tell you?

so the businesses themesleves don't feel the return on investment is great enough, even though their logo/brand is on TV 24 times a minimum, sometimes in primetime to high viewership.

could be that the clubs are lazy and don't engage with the brands past their logo being on the apparel/corporate seats at the games.

also, we are just not professional. it would appear fro0m the outside, so from the inside I'm sure that's confirmed

txta2

Bench
If the club had higher membership numbers they would be lined up out the door. That's one reason.
Second is they are a shire/district team not a whole city team.also theclubs past history is average,most of the large companies won't bother

Green bay packers are in a crap location, have a crap name, bonehead local fans, but a great national presence and succesful business model and succesful NFL team. Not saying Sharks should copy it , just the attitude of working on the positives rather than negatives and thinking outside the square

I guess it really takes someone of vision and great Entrepreneurial skills to take the reins. . Unfortunately it aint me ,doesnt seem to be Barry Russel either ,great bloke though he may be. Someone like the late Harry Miller comes to mind.

Sharks have good location....near airport, near beach and ocean and Histerical sites. yet I never see any Sydney travel packages promoting the area with say tickets to the Game included . They try and increase membership but I wonder how much income to Community comes with every , tourist or business traveller lured to stay a few days in the shire? Im sure theres plenty more outside the square ideas that could work,but like all ideas ,the hard part is initially selling them to unimaginative business types who only look at past figures. Thats where a great Entrepreneur is needed.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Green bay packers are in a crap location, have a crap name, bonehead local fans, but a great national presence and succesful business model and succesful NFL team. Not saying Sharks should copy it , just the attitude of working on the positives rather than negatives and thinking outside the square

I guess it really takes someone of vision and great Entrepreneurial skills to take the reins. . Unfortunately it aint me ,doesnt seem to be Barry Russel either ,great bloke though he may be. Someone like the late Harry Miller comes to mind.

Sharks have good location....near airport, near beach and ocean and Histerical sites. yet I never see any Sydney travel packages promoting the area with say tickets to the Game included . They try and increase membership but I wonder how much income to Community comes with every , tourist or business traveller lured to stay a few days in the shire? Im sure theres plenty more outside the square ideas that could work,but like all ideas ,the hard part is initially selling them to unimaginative business types who only look at past figures. Thats where a great Entrepreneur is needed.

Green Bay system worked would it for us, another team Ebbsfleet Uinited in england tried similiar system fans buying into team and it ended up going no where, at the start with Ebbsfleet if you had shares you had say in the team that lasted about 4 weeks, i could only imagine our forum with input Moroko must play

Quigs

Immortal

We should get our No1 Ticket holder onto it. He is known as the Advertising Man. Youse know, get him out there and meet the fair dinkum supporters. Get shots of him chewing into a pie, maybe wear a few different Sharky Caps. Hey why not get a bus and put his moniker on it and have him drive around NSW and Qld telling everyone that they should love the Sharks. I reckon that would work a fair dinkum treat. They'd join up in droves. We've got us a bloke that could sell coal to the eskimoes.

fizman

Bench
I recently made contact with the Club about sponsorship for next season, even as a long term passionate supporter it is difficult to see a return on investment.

Some key points -

• All contracts within the Club start on the 1st November.
  • The reality is that while it is a 12 month contract your business is only promoted during the football season - March - September.
  • It is VERY expensive to become a Club sponsor.
  • Due to the competitive nature of the business, there is no guarantee that a competitor can come in over the top, particularly if they offer more money.
There are so many small to medium businesses in the Shire - I would like to see a model where the jersey sponsor is a charity - McGrath Foundation - in order to achieve this I would be seeking 100 local Shire businesses to sponsor $10,000 - Total $1M.

There would still be an opportunity for the larger businesses to offer corporate sponsorship through stadium naming rights, playing strip, etc.

Frenzy.

Immortal

Possibly my biggest pet hate in the game.