2019 team line up

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Saints Forever, Nov 3, 2018.

1. GC Dragon

GC Dragon Juniors

Politics played a major role in him going back to play for the Bulls . He was the Raiders u/20 player of the year then made the move up to the Mounties with ease .

Ricky Stuart said himself after he had played a few games for the Mounties he was destine for first grade . All of a sudden it is reported last July that he has agreed to join the Dragons and he ends up back at the Bulls . Even the Bulls coach David Howell said he was way above that level .

You don't drop one of the leading try scorers and better preforming wingers in the comp back to park footy a few weeks after he scored 5 tries in a game if you haven't got a axe to grind . Even the Raiders supporters were bemused by what had happened to him

The real question is do we have the coaching / man management ability to bring the best out in this obviously talented kid ?.

DragonJ, SGMax and BLM01 like this.
  2. RufusRex

RufusRex Immortal

changing from Dufty to Norman/Widdop at the back changes a lot of things around structure.

You go from a team looking to run around an opposition to one that wants to pass around .
    That to me means the centres have to be ball players as well AND the wingers fast.

If you play aitken in centre with lomax outside you but a cross against both of this ...
    It means again that the defence can compress in again against our right and make it even harder for them.

As soon as you have centres capable of getting the ball to the wingers it forces the opposition edges to space out more in defence which then leads to more time ...

this should also spell and end to the JDB/James graham link player in the middle as with three genuine passing options in 1/6/9 and ball skills in the centers the passing shoudl be faster and crisper. Means that the forwads can go back to carting it up and looking for offloads just before or after the ad line.

In terms of skill Hunt/Widdop/Norman/Lomax/Lafai has it in spades over Hunt/Widdop/Dufty/Aitken/Lafai.

3. DragonJ

DragonJ Juniors

Well FFS, what are our talent scouts doing? They knew we were in need of fast wingers so they go out and sign another 5/8 along with a park footballer and a Broncos reject?

Saint_JimmyG likes this.
  4. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

Excluding Maranta, Peirera is the most experienced winger at the Dragons. Injury free, he is a sure thing to being in first grade for most of the year.

5. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

Shh...repeat after me....Millward and co. are doing a fantastic job.

DragonJ likes this.
  6. George Dragon

George Dragon Juniors

Jordy 9 FG games, been playing league for 5 years.
    Jonus 11 FG games, started playing league as a junior.

GC Dragon likes this.
  7. possm

possm First Grade

Pereira is a good ISP winger and backup for first grade. So if either Pearson or Ravalawa do not step up in the off-season, then the door will be open for Pereira to be selected on one of the wings.

8. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

perfectly logical possm but mary will select periera no betting on that .........

DragonJ likes this.
  9. possm

possm First Grade

I would love to have the stats on speed, fitness, tackle drills, high ball returns and agility for Pereira, Pearson and Ravalawa. It would help a lot with judging who should be selected.

10. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

You sound like Mary..

11. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Bench

I would love to know there shoe size, mothers name and wether they like Hawaiian pizza.

12. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

Peirera will be the first winger picked.

13. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

Pearson’s 11 games have been spread over a three-year period.

14. GC Dragon

GC Dragon Juniors

I agree and Lomax will be the second with Aitken and Lafai in the centres . Our ISP backline will without doubt be the fastest in the comp . With a back 3 of Dufty , Pearson and Ravalawa . Throw in Field at 5/8 and that's 4 genuine speedsters .

15. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

As I have previously said, I would start the year off with Widdop and Lomax in the centres. I think they would both be upgrades on Lafai and Aitken. I would be looking to offload Lafai and Aitken right now. If we could offload both of them, we could spend the money on one outside back who is on close to bottom dollar and with the rest I would hope to have enough to get another good prop if possible. The ones I thought of were George or Tom Burgess. There was a bit of talk that Souths were trying to offload either or both George and Tom. I would take either. With the addition of Tom or George, we would then have a very strong front row rotation and much needed depth in the front row department. If we did manage to do it (I know I am dreaming lol), I would have Tom or George coming off the bench. If we got a Burgess brother this year, we would probably have the best pack in the comp and the best bench too.

Marsters, Maranta and Runciman would be our back up centers if we let Aitken and Lafai go and moved Widdop to centre.

I won't be surprised to see Mary pick Aitken and Lafai as our centres in game one.

16. nontime111

nontime111 Juniors

Widdop (Duftys a gun but needs more work, his year will be 2020 then for a long career here I can foresee)
    Ravalawa
    Lomax
    Lafai
    Pearson
    Norman
    Hunt

JDB
    Frizz
    T Simms
    Vaughnie
    Mcinnis
    Graham

with 3 big bodies on the bench and Robson

SGMax likes this.
  17. RufusRex

RufusRex Immortal

That would be lawrie/korbin/Luc

nontime111 likes this.
  18. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

sorry mate what you mean is it doesnt sound like mary.no logic involved in marys decisions just a warped sense of incumbancy ..............

19. BLM01

BLM01 Juniors

Periera will be 1st winger picked. Rav wont get picked for Round 1

nontime111 and Dragonslayer like this.
  20. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

Actually, I disagree,

As mentioned previously, I feel McGregor will confound is all by choosing Aitken on the wing in round one.

I just feel it in my bones.