What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 team line up

possm

Coach
You need a balanced back line these days periera is certainly not fast ,but he's game and he gives 100% every game plus Mary will pick him there's no betting there .with a good bunch of forwards sometimes all you need is a john Chapman type winger ......and periera fits the mould .go the BIG RED V

Pereira is the ideal backup for our first grade wingers.

RufusRex

Post Whore
it is depressing that a player with average ability can excite simply because he has a f**king go.

The desire to contest aerial balls and to put his body on the line put to shame the rest of the outside backs. He has limitations in his game ..

As for size, well Pearson/Pereira/Ravalawa are all approx the same size .. it will come down to speed, intesity/desire and all that other stuff.

I think Pearson on the left and Ravalawa on the right is where it will end up but for now Pereira will probably start until one of the others out performs him.

possm

Coach
it is depressing that a player with average ability can excite simply because he has a f**king go.

The desire to contest aerial balls and to put his body on the line put to shame the rest of the outside backs. He has limitations in his game ..

As for size, well Pearson/Pereira/Ravalawa are all approx the same size .. it will come down to speed, intesity/desire and all that other stuff.

I think Pearson on the left and Ravalawa on the right is where it will end up but for now Pereira will probably start until one of the others out performs him.

It is going to be a fun time for our wingers in 2019; they can become instant stars if they apply themselves to the task. With 3 halves on the field and centres like Lomax and Lafai who can setup their wingers, speed and enthusiaam will be king.

DragonJ

Juniors

A team with Widdop at fullback, Pereira on one wing and Lafai, Lomax in the centres may win lots of games early in the season when they can win through brute force but have no chance at the backend of the season.

I'm not sure what's going on with Widdop. I've been readng in the media how Norman is going to be 5/8, forcing Widdop to fullback but then how Dufty has been guaranteed fullback. I don't think Widdop is going to be with is come round 1 or at least until the ESL season begins, whenever that is.

If Dufty has been using human growth hormone over the off season (as hasn't been caught and the club hasn't aided and abetted it in any way), that would be great. No more seeing the opposition manhandle our boy fullback on a regular basis. If not and provided he is found not guilty, as I expect, sign Hayne!

Dragonslayer

First Grade

So, you would plonk an untried winger who was dropped to Metro Cup (for whatever reason) and in reality hasn't played a high standard competition game since June last year, just on the premise he is fast,.....ok right!!!!!

DragonJ

Juniors
So, you would plonk an untried winger who was dropped to Metro Cup (for whatever reason) and in reality hasn't played a high standard competition game since June last year, just on the premise he is fast,.....ok right!!!!!

Speaking for myself, I agree with possm. Pereira reminds of Marketo. Really puts in 100% whenever he is one the field and in a body more suited to backrow in his case and winger in Pereira's case, would be a star. But unfortunately if he is one of our first choice wingers, we have at least one glaring weakness. If Dufty hasn't put on a few kgs, is more confident under the high ball and more willing to put his body on the line in defence, all while retaining his speed, make that two glaring weaknesses.

If what many posters here are suggesting will be or should be the backline this season, even though Lomax is a massive upgrade on Aitken and I'm a big fan of Norman, the backline will still suck. I think any backline where the forwards are generally faster runners will always suck.

RufusRex

Post Whore

you must have missed the phrase "until one of the other outperforms him"

Pearson and Pereira are the most experienced NRL wingers we have at the moment and will probably start - pretty scarey stuff really.

BLM01

First Grade
you must have missed the phrase "until one of the other outperforms him"

Pearson and Pereira are the most experienced NRL wingers we have at the moment and will probably start - pretty scarey stuff really.
True dat..and i would replace "until" with "if"
geez what about if that 30th player could be a George jennings or Alex Johnstone...then I think we are going somewhere

nontime111

Juniors
I get a good feeling about Ravalawa and Pearson, I think theyll be great finishers and be the reciprocants of heaps of good ball from Norman, Hunt, Lomax Luch etc nothing but excited

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, lets take a good look at our 3 wing condenders and their 2018 ISP performances.

Periera: games 16
Tries - 16
Linebreaks - 16
PCM - 708
Tackle breaks - 94
Run metres - 2390
Ave run m - 149
Errors - 17
Try assist - 3

Ravalava - games 11
Tries - 11 (inc 5 in 1 game)
Linebreaks - not in top 50
PCM - nit in top 50
Tackle breaks - 66
Run metres - not in top 50
Kick return m - 407
Errors - not in top 50
Try assists - 0

Pearson - games 18
Tries - 14
Linebreaks - 10
PCM - not in top 50
Tackle breaks - 60
Run metres - 1881
Ave run m - 104
Kick return m - 385
Errors - 21
Try assists - 3

Based on this info, who will be our wingers remains very open. I can see, however, Lomax being on one wing and Aitken as the centre. This seens more obvious now looking at those stats.

nontime111

Juniors
I think we should just cut the crap and go with the 2 fastest wingers......Id say Pearson and Ravalawa

I think if Norman clicks with Hunt theyll form a VERY dangerous halves combo and if we find a centre to click with Lomax ( dont care Aitken or Lafia whoever gels) I think with our forwards so good the speedy young wingers wont have to do much other than catch the damn ball and put it over the line, If our centres and halves really click therell be a hell of a lot of tries being set up so this is why Id not bother about a little bleed in defense and just go with the 2 fastest fellas.....

GC Dragon

Juniors
I think we should just cut the crap and go with the 2 fastest wingers......Id say Pearson and Ravalawa

I think if Norman clicks with Hunt theyll form a VERY dangerous halves combo and if we find a centre to click with Lomax ( dont care Aitken or Lafia whoever gels) I think with our forwards so good the speedy young wingers wont have to do much other than catch the damn ball and put it over the line, If our centres and halves really click therell be a hell of a lot of tries being set up so this is why Id not bother about a little bleed in defense and just go with the 2 fastest fellas.....
I agree go with the youth size and speed . There is a much higher ceiling with Pearson and Ravalawa . I am sick of watching us run out the slowest wingers in first grade . Remember when the likes of Bmoz , Blacklock or Ofiah got the ball ? . No matter where it was on the field we would all be on our feet .

Having a 19 year old future champion centre with a 21 year old 100kg speedster outside of him can't possibly be any worse than what we have served up on our right side for the last 4 years ….In defence or attack .

DragonJ

Juniors
I agree go with the youth size and speed . There is a much higher ceiling with Pearson and Ravalawa . I am sick of watching us run out the slowest wingers in first grade . Remember when the likes of Bmoz , Blacklock or Ofiah got the ball ? . No matter where it was on the field we would all be on our feet .

Having a 19 year old future champion centre with a 21 year old 100kg speedster outside of him can't possibly be any worse than what we have served up on our right side for the last 4 years ….In defence or attack .

The second last game last season was one of my favorite ever but seeing their backrower run away from our winger and centre to score their first try was painful and should never be repeated.

nontime111

Juniors
yes what I miss most about watching my mighty Dragons is flying wingers!! bought up with Mitch Brennan, Slippery Steve Morris, Steve Gearin, Offiah, Walford, Wishart, Ainscough, Blacklock, BMoz, cmon just GET the greyhounds back!! good centres will set em up and good halves will get good ball to good centres!

Saints also were renowned for quality centres! now look at the pile...at least get Lomax in there!!

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
yes what I miss most about watching my mighty Dragons is flying wingers!! bought up with Mitch Brennan, Slippery Steve Morris, Steve Gearin, Offiah, Walford, Wishart, Ainscough, Blacklock, BMoz, cmon just GET the greyhounds back!! good centres will set em up and good halves will get good ball to good centres!

Saints also were renowned for quality centres! now look at the pile...at least get Lomax in there!!

The problen here is not the speedy wingers. We could have Usain Bolt on the wing but what good is it if they dont get the ball?
Our recent style if play doesn't fit the speed factor ie:
1. Power game - hit it up through the forwards. We rarely spread the ball unless its a telegraphed block play.
2. Relatively slow play the balls due to the power play. This allows for set defense.
3. Our centres dont get early ball, we know this already. Add in a centre that doesnt pass.
4. Our sweep play 99% of the time ends with the fullback not the winger.
5. Once fatigue sets in our hakves and fullback start crabbing across the ground effectively crowding both the centre and winger.

Theres a big difference between what we see as having to do versus what the coaching staff sees them wanting to do.
Norman is the big X factor this year. If he doesnt crab, then it is possible our 3/4 line wull get some early ball opening up the chances of our wingers.
The fact remains that our highest try scorer last year was the fullback with our wingers hardly in the frame.
As I said, unless we change the game plan and become more expansive, Usain Bolt would catch a cold at the Dragons.

watatank

Coach
Pearson and Ravalawa will need to prove they can do work if they want to be first grade regulars. McGregor already alluded to it when asked about the new recruits in the preseason. Hopefully the opportunity will be a strong motivator

Pearson and Ravalawa will need to prove they can do work if they want to be first grade regulars. McGregor already alluded to it when asked about the new recruits in the preseason. Hopefully the opportunity will be a strong motivator

The great bald one has the squad he wanted, so I am sure all will be revealed when the round 1 squad of 17 is announced for FG.

We have at least one wing position up for grabs and a scramble for splinters on the bench.

BLM01

First Grade
Ravalawa could not even hold his spot on the wing for the Mounties. We have plucked him direct from park footy, dont expect too much from him apart from an opportunity we have given him.

watatank

Coach
Ravalawa could not even hold his spot on the wing for the Mounties. We have plucked him direct from park footy, dont expect too much from him apart from an opportunity we have given him.

To be fair, he was probably playing park footy because we signed him halfway through the season.

Still don't expect anything either way.

possm

Coach

Ravalawa is my dark horse for 2019. If he has good defence the rest will take care of itself; experience will lead to improvement each week. I'm told he is big and super quick, he can beat a man one on one and his good in defence. I really don't know how much of this is true however, if the coaching staff can work with him in the off-season to give him the best chance possible to be ready for round 1, we will most certainly have a great backline in 2019.