What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Origin II - NSW 34-10 QLD @ ANZ

Series: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shear_joy9

Coach
I'll start by saying that I think Keary has been pretty hard done by. The only reason to justify him being dropped is if the arm injury isn't right.

On Cleary, I am beginning to wonder if half of you actually watch the game, or when you see a blue jersey with the number 7 on it your eyes glaze over & you start foaming at the mouth. None of the halves did a real lot, Walker looked most likely but wasn't really playing a halves role. The forwards were dominated convincingly, that makes it difficult to lump the defeat at the feet of either half.

The catch cry for Cleary is he has no assists. Try & linebreak assists are defiantly an indicator for a halves performance. So are try involvements that dont appear in the stats. Both of JAC's trys were started by Cleary drawing in the defenders to create space on the outside. Hardly revolountianry stuff, but if he just dumped it to Tedesco for try one or Walker for try 2 then the space isn't there. Gutho was the receiver from Teddy & Walker & gets the assist in the stats. He did his job in both cases, but he didn't create shit. The stats don't always tell the full story.

The kick intended for JAC looked great off the boot, initially I thought it was going to be a certain try, unfortunately a wind gust got hold of the ball & it becomes a 7 tackle restart. The rest of his kicking game was admittedly well below par.

QLD ran a lot of their attack down our right. Cleary & Gutho made 61 tackles between them for 4 misses (2 each) On the left Keary & Wighton made 27 tackles between them for 11 misses. No try assists or involvements from either of them.

Cleary isn't a particularly instinctive player, I don't think he ever will be. He still had a more positive impact on the game than his halves partner did. He is never going to be Joey Johns, but he is the best option we have right now. The only other option is Reynolds, there isn't a lot between them, the advantage Cleary has over Reynolds is his age & the hope that he improves on the creativity, Reynolds isn't improving beyond where he is now. Nathan may not create a hell of a lot, but he does allow others the chance to do that. He also doesn't butcher chances like Pearce used to.

f**king hell your clutching at straws saying Cleary was drawing in defenders creating space for the try's. He dumped the ball off before anyone was near him.

He was the worst on ground by a f**king mile.

The_Frog

First Grade
f**king hell your clutching at straws saying Cleary was drawing in defenders creating space for the try's. He dumped the ball off before anyone was near him.

Yes he did drop the ball. Once.

Other NSW players who had handling errors:

Tedesco (2)
Tupou (1)
Gutherson (2)
AddoCarr (1)
Keary (2)
Cook (1)

I look forward to seeing video clips of all those as well.

Last edited:

shear_joy9

Coach
I suggested Tyrone May ages ago, but I knew they wouldn't select him. Maybe Fittler has been told not to. I know he's not quite a superstar, but if he were the 14 you could have a bench with 4 forwards, since he can play hooker, backrow or lock as well as halves and centres. This is why Peachey played Origin, not because he was a world beater (his form was much better than it is now though), but because he covered so many positions adequately at the time, he allowed far more options elsewhere in the team.

Tyrone May, jfc...

The guy is barely a fringe nrl player and you're calling for him to be in the origin team.
You earn the dunce hat for the looniest panther's fan.

The_Frog

First Grade
Tyrone May, jfc...

The guy is barely a fringe nrl player and you're calling for him to be in the origin team.
You earn the dunce hat for the looniest panther's fan.
I'll save this to serve up to you along with a shit sandwich when he makes the side next year.

soc123_au

Staff member

Yes, we all know he dropped the ball. The clips showing where he didn't draw in the defenders for the trys would be more pertinent to your response. Good luck finding them.

shear_joy9

Coach
Yes he did drop the ball. Once.

Other NSW players who had handling errors:

Tedesco (2)
Tupou (1)
Gutherson (2)
AddoCarr (1)
Keary (2)
Cook (1)

I look forward to seeing video clips of all those as well.

if they made an error as comical and embarrassing as naf's then I'd post it.

The_Frog

First Grade
if they made an error as comical and embarrassing as naf's then I'd post it.
Because you have an axe to grind. This is your problem, not his.

It's well known around here that I'm not a Tedesco fan. But I am able to acknowledge his talent, and I couldn't be bothered posting vids of his errors of which there are a few.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Pearce was ordinary but he at least had the excuse of playing against Smith, Thurston, cronk, lockyer, GI etc etc and the one chance he got to not play against them he didn't shit the bed (barely).

I’ve always asked people how they would go if they had to tackle Sam thaiday at full speed about 7 times in a half. He defended him well but it had to an effect on his game.

Its strange that Freddy has gone away from everything that made the side successful over the past few years. Some of the selections in both games have been nothing short of bewildering. The balance of the side is completely out again. Players out of position and form, an abysmal halfback, wrong players dropped...ugh...NSW never learns. All the talent, none of the brains.

gerg

Juniors
I get that we all love our club players, want them to be successful and sometimes overrate them. But Tyron May for Origin is next level delusional.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The coach has no balls.
The coach picks the team.

The above statements are not mutually exclusive.
So he's got no balls because at the age of 22 and after the death of a best friend he decided to leave the place he grew up in to further his career.

You've got no brains or balls sport.

The_Frog

First Grade
So he's got no balls because at the age of 22 and after the death of a best friend he decided to leave the place he grew up in to further his career.

You've got no brains or balls sport.
A joke lost on you, unsurprisingly.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Because you have an axe to grind. This is your problem, not his.

It's well known around here that I'm not a Tedesco fan. But I am able to acknowledge his talent, and I couldn't be bothered posting vids of his errors of which there are a few.
Tedesco has won big games. Most of the ones he's played, and won 2 comps and played key roles in winning 2 origin series. Cleary has choked in a grand final, did up James Maloney's boots in the 2018 series and got injured last year before the other massively overrated 7 who keeps getting a Blues jersey managed to actually play some sort of role in his team winning a decider.
If nsw lose this series, and I'm almost certain they will on current form, it's gotta be back to club footy for The Chin for a few years.

Danish

Referee
Mate take it from someone who wasted the worst part of 8 origin series defending Mitchell Pearce.

tying your wagon to the Cleary train is only going to bring you pain and embarrassment.

Latest posts