What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

franklin2323

Immortal
Even if it's not as bad for a lot of players Mansour is at a particular disadvantage having this specific weakness.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t see him playing the year in FG but he is a great trainer and great for morale. Things a teenager can learn so until we play some games then he is in his role

martielang

Bench
Early days I know but that’ll absolutely do me if Leota starts the season in NSW Cup.

Right up there with having money to spend & buying 2 forwards & no outside backs.

franklin2323

Immortal
Early days I know but that’ll absolutely do me if Leota starts the season in NSW Cup.

Right up there with having money to spend & buying 2 forwards & no outside backs.

He was injured of course he was going to be down the pecking order atm. He will get trial game time.. from that then can see where he sits

Kilkenny

Coach

Three if you count Api as a forward Martie!!!!!

I have a friend who is high up in the NSWRL, former referee who has been involved in Rugby League all his life and same age as me. (Not a Panthers fan because he is impartial given his position). He expressed the view to me last season if Moses Loeta had of played for the Storm or Roosters it is probable he would have already played SOO and the fact he hasn’t is down to coaching. Hard to argue. His strengths have been coached out of him (his ability to offload) and he does have a big motor capable of playing big minutes but for the most part he probably averages 20-25 minutes a game with us.

When RCG was last off contract I said on here, ad nauseasm, he was not worth the big bucks and long term contract. Gus thought otherwise. RCG was a solid player but he was a one trick pony and over rated because of his ‘aggression’. I’ve always thought with proper coaching Leota could have been anything, great attitude, humble person with all the skills but what we’ve seen week in week out is a far cry from what this kid was capable off and from my perspective that is all down to coaching or lack there off.

Kilkenny

Coach
You are overrating Moses massively.

Maybe I am but his development has been hindered by some average coaching.

He has never been allowed to show us what he is capable off and I am confident he could have shown us so much more with proper coaching.

I’ll just add one of the reasons he hasn’t been given more minutes in the NRL is the coaching staff (both Hook and Cleary) felt he had issues with his lateral defence when fatigued. I don’t analyse or scrutinise a game the way our coaching staff do so they would know better than me but I don’t understand how he can play 80 minutes in NSW Cup with no issues but is only worth of one stint of 20 minutes in the top grade. The same applies to Kaide Ellis I have watched him closely in the lower grades and he is an NRL player but has never been given the chance to show what he can do. It’s hard to prove your worth when you get 10 or less minutes of the bench.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
He is solid enough. Has potential and at 25 still time but like many others hasn’t shown can go to the next level

I’m sorry but your all missing the point here.

We had a SOO and Australian representative front rower who even at his best was capable of 130 running metres in RCG. Most of his metres were gained from kick off returns for god’s sake.

I feel sorry for Moses Leota, I sit in the Western Stand so I feel for kid given most games I watch him in his long overcoat they wear during the winter months just itching to get on the field

In closing, you can’t tell me if Moses had enjoyed the RCG minutes he wouldn’t have delivered less than the 90 metres to 120 metres RCG delivered on most of his appearances when given 55-60 minutes.

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m sorry but your all missing the point here.

We had a SOO and Australian representative front rower who even at his best was capable of 130 running metres in RCG. Most of his metres were gained from kick off returns for god’s sake.

I feel sorry for Moses Leota, I sit in the Western Stand so I feel for kid given most games I watch him in his long overcoat they wear during the winter months just itching to get on the field

In closing, you can’t tell me if Moses had enjoyed the RCG minutes he wouldn’t have delivered less than the 90 metres to 120 metres RCG delivered on most of his appearances when given 55-60 minutes.

2017 Leota, Browne and RCG were fighting for one spot. Leota and Browne got their chances and made too many errors.

Meanwhile RCG was interchange player of the year. Played for Aust. Followed that up by starting 2018 well and playing SOO.. Of course he would get more of a run after that

betcats

Referee
Maybe I am but his development has been hindered by some average coaching.

He has never been allowed to show us what he is capable off and I am confident he could have shown us so much more with proper coaching.

I’ll just add one of the reasons he hasn’t been given more minutes in the NRL is the coaching staff (both Hook and Cleary) felt he had issues with his lateral defence when fatigued. I don’t analyse or scrutinise a game the way our coaching staff do so they would know better than me but I don’t understand how he can play 80 minutes in NSW Cup with no issues but is only worth of one stint of 20 minutes in the top grade. The same applies to Kaide Ellis I have watched him closely in the lower grades and he is an NRL player but has never been given the chance to show what he can do. It’s hard to prove your worth when you get 10 or less minutes of the bench.

He played every game last year, a quick glance shows me he played 40 minutes in round 1, 40 minutes in round 26. Saying he is being held back is ridiculous, he has been around the squad for years and been given plenty of opportunities.

He just isn’t as good as you think he is. His lack lateral movement is always going to exploitable around the ruck by players with quick feet and his impact running the ball has been limited a lot of his FG career, that’s not coaching that his own physical limitations.

He is a good player who hits hard on defence and puts players on there backs. He is no where near a 24 yo origin quality prop.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
I think some of the "held back" stuff with Leota comes from the view that he's better suited to big minutes and he doesn't get them. That's always been my take anyway. He's got a big motor, great tackler, always looking for work and the errors are way down. It wasn't surprising to me that he looked better when starting.

I agree with Kilkenny that he would have provided more than RCG last year, but we're talking a pretty low bar there.

franklin2323

Immortal
RCG ave more metres then Leota.
RCG tackle efficiency 91%. Leota 89%
Errors RCG 9. Leota 11.

So there is nothing to say that he is even capable of the extra input needed

betcats

Referee
RCG ave more metres then Leota.
RCG tackle efficiency 91%. Leota 89%
Errors RCG 9. Leota 11.

So there is nothing to say that he is even capable of the extra input needed

Leota was dominant in NYC so I think there are a few who just thought it was a given he would dominate at this level. The fact that he hasn't, well that must be the coaches fault.

betcats

Referee
I think some of the "held back" stuff with Leota comes from the view that he's better suited to big minutes and he doesn't get them. That's always been my take anyway. He's got a big motor, great tackler, always looking for work and the errors are way down. It wasn't surprising to me that he looked better when starting.

I agree with Kilkenny that he would have provided more than RCG last year, but we're talking a pretty low bar there.

He is just a solid prop. Talking like he has been held back from origin potential is way off.

franklin2323

Immortal
Leota was dominant in NYC so I think there are a few who just thought it was a given he would dominate at this level. The fact that he hasn't, well that must be the coaches fault.

Maybe he will be one day. Still young for a prop and if he is good enough to beat those proven guys in front of him then we will be very strong

betcats

Referee
Maybe he will be one day. Still young for a prop and if he is good enough to beat those proven guys in front of him then we will be very strong

Yeah he is a good player and should continue to get better but if he was going to be an origin level prop he'd have shown us a bit more by now IMO. He just has not had the ball running impact so far in his FG career to be considered as above average.

martielang

Bench
He was terrific backend of last year. I agree, I think he's a lot better than people make him out to be & his 'lack of engine' has more to do with lack of opportunity to play big minutes.

Don't agree that he doesn't have an impact with the ball. He's got good footwork, built low to the ground & falls flat on his front more times than not which leads to quick play the balls. I think Api's running game will only accentuate his strengths with the ball.

Latest posts