What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
NRL are reporting that only Kenny is in doubt for Round 1.
Everyone else should be available. Trials and nines permitting of course.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23/casualty-ward-all-the-latest-nrl-injury-news/#Penrith

NRL also have us as having the second best goal kicking squad. Souths are in front because they have 2 good goal kickers in Reynolds and Mitchell. Whereas we have to rely on Luai if Cleary gose down.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/02/ranking-every-clubs-goal-kicking-stocks/

Kilkenny

Coach
We have our 2020 squad locked in time to get excited I guess with the season fast approaching. It’s been a pretty turbulent 18 months or so so it would be great to have a decent season and I’ll be happy just to make the top 8. Anywhere between 5-8 place would be a pass mark for me. Hope to play a better brand of footy to last year was not good and that’s being kind. Hopefully Trent Barrett can improve our attacking structures and set plays.

TheFrog

Coach
Anywhere between 5-8 place would be a pass mark for me. Hope to play a better brand of footy to last year was not good and that’s being kind. Hopefully Trent Barrett can improve our attacking structures and set plays.
Last year was downright embarrassing at times, but still we only missed the 8 by one point.

Kilkenny

Coach
Last year was downright embarrassing at times, but still we only missed the 8 by one point.

Maybe, but the footy was awful. Even on that mid season winning streak it was awful. I think the only game I enjoyed was away to the Warriors. That match winning try from Naden length of the field. That was special the other wins well basically nothing memorable about any of them.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Maybe, but the footy was awful. Even on that mid season winning streak it was awful. I think the only game I enjoyed was away to the Warriors. That match winning try from Naden length of the field. That was special the other wins well basically nothing memorable about any of them.

I though there were a couple of wins that gave me cause for hope. Last game against the Knight. The one against the Sea Eagles mid year. One against the Sharks (that was a classy effort with an understrengthe team) and my favourite which was the win on a Sunday avo (packed house) against the Chooks.

These games give for hope for 2020.

Kilkenny

Coach
I though there were a couple of wins that gave me cause for hope. Last game against the Knight. The one against the Sea Eagles mid year. One against the Sharks (that was a classy effort with an understrengthe team) and my favourite which was the win on a Sunday avo (packed house) against the Chooks.

The game against the Knights was certainly a great way to finish the season given we scored a few tries.

I see 2020 as a new beginning in many ways.

Ivan Cleary and his backers have got what they wanted, total control, and it is now up to them to deliver.

We have a squad on paper that is capable of making the top eight, not capable of going all the way, but certainly capable of laying the foundations of better things from 2021.

Kilkenny

Coach
The Ball and Matts kicks off this weekend so let’s hope for strong season’s from both sides it would be good if there are future NRL stars in both our junior sides.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The Ball and Matts kicks off this weekend so let’s hope for strong season’s from both sides it would be good if there are future NRL stars in both our junior sides.

Are you going to the games ? I would love to hear how it goes (I live in regional nsw, unable to get down for the games)

Anyone would love to know about any up and commers.

Bob

Juniors
Are you going to the games ? I would love to hear how it goes (I live in regional nsw, unable to get down for the games)

Anyone would love to know about any up and commers.
I can’t get down to games either as I’m regional as well, Pretty sure they replay some games on nswrl website if not they might have a highlights package, can’t remember what they had last year,

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I can’t get down to games either as I’m regional as well, Pretty sure they replay some games on nswrl website if not they might have a highlights package, can’t remember what they had last year,

Thanks for that I didn't know that happened. I'll look out for it.

Hooked

Juniors

I am hopeful for a better season to be fair Newcastle checked out the last game. Still a enjoyable afternoon.
The Sharks win was my favourite. A long time coming and with a few out.

Crashtest

Juniors
From reading the quotes below from Kenny, about how he never thought about leaving, wants to learn as much as he can from Api, and never wanting to leave, I am glad we have kept him as our back up hooker to Api, rather than Egan and Katoa. With his awesome attitude, and easy to see why he made a difference to a struggling side last year, despite being a rookie & learning a new position.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/0aaf08116de9a93f9dea018e523c463c

“Basically, Ivan respectfully wanted to let Wayde and I know first before it came out in the media that Api would be coming across to the club,” Kenny told foxsports.com.au

“He wanted us to know we were still valued members of the team and that he didn’t want to see us leave.

“Obviously there were further conversations held between Wayde, his manager and the club when other opportunities came up for him and there were no hard feelings around that.

“For myself, obviously there’s that human reaction of ‘oh, I’ve lost my spot’, so it’s a bit of a punch in the gut, but there are so many more upsides to it. Now I’ve got a really good leader in front of me and someone to learn off.

“Api’s been more than helpful this pre-season. We’re really good mates and he’s teaching me a lot.”

While Egan joined the Warriors on a three-year deal with a view of becoming the club’s long-term hooker, Kenny didn’t think that moving on was ever an option for himself.

“I wanted to stay. This club gave me my chance,” Kenny explained.

“I knew I had a lot to learn about playing in the No.9 and I knew Api coming across would be a really good figurehead to do that with.

“Wayde and Sione (Katoa) were both more well-rounded hookers than I am. It just happened that I had that opportunity last year to play and I was a good fit for the team at that point in time.

“I never thought I owned the No.9 jersey here and that it was mine. I knew that something like this might happen and I think it’s going to be really good for me in the long-term having Api here.

“I never thought about leaving. I always wanted to stay.”

“I’m not sure if I’ll be available for Round 1. If so, I’ll be pushing to be in the 17 to share some hooking duties or play in the middle.

“I played all my footy at lock before last year, so I’d happily do that if the opportunity is there.

“I guess it comes down to the makeup of the team and what works best for us and having a balanced side.

“If I need to play a little bit of reserve grade before I can force my way back into the 17, I’m happy to do that as well.”

betcats

Referee
From reading the quotes below from Kenny, about how he never thought about leaving, wants to learn as much as he can from Api, and never wanting to leave, I am glad we have kept him as our back up hooker to Api, rather than Egan and Katoa. With his awesome attitude, and easy to see why he made a difference to a struggling side last year, despite being a rookie & learning a new position.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/0aaf08116de9a93f9dea018e523c463c

“Basically, Ivan respectfully wanted to let Wayde and I know first before it came out in the media that Api would be coming across to the club,” Kenny told foxsports.com.au

“He wanted us to know we were still valued members of the team and that he didn’t want to see us leave.

“Obviously there were further conversations held between Wayde, his manager and the club when other opportunities came up for him and there were no hard feelings around that.

“For myself, obviously there’s that human reaction of ‘oh, I’ve lost my spot’, so it’s a bit of a punch in the gut, but there are so many more upsides to it. Now I’ve got a really good leader in front of me and someone to learn off.

“Api’s been more than helpful this pre-season. We’re really good mates and he’s teaching me a lot.”

While Egan joined the Warriors on a three-year deal with a view of becoming the club’s long-term hooker, Kenny didn’t think that moving on was ever an option for himself.

“I knew I had a lot to learn about playing in the No.9 and I knew Api coming across would be a really good figurehead to do that with.

“Wayde and Sione (Katoa) were both more well-rounded hookers than I am. It just happened that I had that opportunity last year to play and I was a good fit for the team at that point in time.

“I never thought I owned the No.9 jersey here and that it was mine. I knew that something like this might happen and I think it’s going to be really good for me in the long-term having Api here.

“I never thought about leaving. I always wanted to stay.”

“I’m not sure if I’ll be available for Round 1. If so, I’ll be pushing to be in the 17 to share some hooking duties or play in the middle.

“I played all my footy at lock before last year, so I’d happily do that if the opportunity is there.

“I guess it comes down to the makeup of the team and what works best for us and having a balanced side.

“If I need to play a little bit of reserve grade before I can force my way back into the 17, I’m happy to do that as well.”

Couldn't like this anymore. With all due respect to Wayde he did exactly nothing that should of made him think he was entitled to the starting spot. The idea that he was not given a chance or forced out is false imo. We signed the best hooker available and he spat the dummy and wanted out. rather then learn and fight for a spot. I wish him all the best going forward but that is how It seems to have played out from what we know.

Dave's mate

Juniors

Couldn't like this anymore. With all due respect to Wayde he did exactly nothing that should of made him think he was entitled to the starting spot. The idea that he was not given a chance or forced out is false imo. We signed the best hooker available and he spat the dummy and wanted out. rather then learn and fight for a spot. I wish him all the best going forward but that is how It seems to have played out from what we know.
To say he spat the dummy is reaching imo. Clubs shit on players the second they aren't useful anymore so I can't blame Wayde for looking after number 1

franklin2323

Immortal
I presume a few other guys felt like that when we signed Tetavano and Capewell. Nothing wrong with competition to get the best out of everyone

Kilkenny

Coach

Kilkenny

Coach

I don’t think Wayne Egan spat the dummy so much as a better opportunity presented itself given we brought in Api.

I think it is a shame we brought through a couple of decent hookers one of whom was touted as being the next Cameron Smith and they are now both gone.

I understand some fans felt Katoa & Egan simply didn’t perform at NRL level but I can’t help feeling sorry for the pair of them who from my viewing were definitely restricted by poor coaching and poor games plan which didn’t allow them to perform at there best.

Anyway they are gone and we move on. No big deal I suppose player in and outs happen each every season just part of the NRL and player rosters and salary cap.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Katoa I didn't rate at all in the NRL. I felt his service was far too slow. (or maybe the fact that his partner is a follower of Taylor Winterstein) that probably helped it along too.

I don't think Katoa will be good for the dogs week in week out. (which you need for a hooker)

Latest posts