What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Grand Final: Panthers V Souths

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
NRL now has to dispose of 1000 Bennett T Shirts with "Fairy Wings", good luck Vinnies.

So true.

It's going to be fascinating to see who stays and who leaves. Would love Mom to stay, but if he's in line for a huge payday he's better off going.

Api. I'd like him to stay but only with the right money, Same with Edwards and Kiks.

Now regarding May, I've made my thoughts clear. Sadly I think he'll probably be asked to play park footy either in Sydney or the bush for 18 months to 2 years. Give him an opportunity to distance himself away from all the hoo haa.

The level of NRL media coverage and bile against May and the fact that he lives and breathes is at the level of what Lindy Chamberlain coped back in the day.

The club has a duty towards May, This could end worse than anyone could or would imagine especially if the vigilantees have their way.

By him going back and playing park footy, getting a job, getting some help for his emotional goings on could be very helpful for him long term.

To a large extent the outcome is up to May and what he's willing to fight for.

In my mind a sad state of affairs.

BxTom

Bench
So true.

It's going to be fascinating to see who stays and who leaves. Would love Mom to stay, but if he's in line for a huge payday he's better off going.

Api. I'd like him to stay but only with the right money, Same with Edwards and Kiks.

Now regarding May, I've made my thoughts clear. Sadly I think he'll probably be asked to play park footy either in Sydney or the bush for 18 months to 2 years. Give him an opportunity to distance himself away from all the hoo haa.

The level of NRL media coverage and bile against May and the fact that he lives and breathes is at the level of what Lindy Chamberlain coped back in the day.

The club has a duty towards May, This could end worse than anyone could or would imagine especially if the vigilantees have their way.

By him going back and playing park footy, getting a job, getting some help for his emotional goings on could be very helpful for him long term.

To a large extent the outcome is up to May and what he's willing to fight for.

In my mind a sad state of affairs.
I can't help thinking that this is being driven by the fact that Panthers are suing NEWS Corp as Blade23 alluded to.

Whino

Bench
Not sure if this has come up but, We won the premiership by scoring fewer points per game in the finals series than any team in the past 60 years.
The Panthers averaged 10.5 points per game. It hasn't been that low since St George triumphed over Western Suburbs in 1963. St Geoge averaged 9.33 points per game.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think it’s rather sad our success in winning the GF has been somewhat hijacked by the negative narrative around our post GF celebrations.

Perhaps we have been our own worst enemies by buying into the debate, I don’t know.

I tend to think of the three, this year was our greatest achievement.

It really was against all odds, doing it the hard way with a side which clearly had some serious injuries to deal with and other adversity.

Its only just a little over three weeks since our greatest achievement and all the conversations are largely negative.

It really is such a shame. What we achieved in 2020-2021 was frankly amazing really in every aspect. The win loss ratio, the amazing defensive record, just everything really, and yet we are now swept up in the negative narrative.

It is such a shame. Our club, the players, the staff, the fans all contributed to an amazing two seasons.

Maybe we all need to take a deep breath, maybe watch a couple of replays of the finals series games and enjoy it for what it was.

Black Diamond

Juniors
I think it’s rather sad our success in winning the GF has been somewhat hijacked by the negative narrative around our post GF celebrations.

Perhaps we have been our own worst enemies by buying into the debate, I don’t know.

I tend to think of the three, this year was our greatest achievement.

It really was against all odds, doing it the hard way with a side which clearly had some serious injuries to deal with and other adversity.

Its only just a little over three weeks since our greatest achievement and all the conversations are largely negative.

It really is such a shame. What we achieved in 2020-2021 was frankly amazing really in every aspect. The win loss ratio, the amazing defensive record, just everything really, and yet we are now swept up in the negative narrative.

It is such a shame. Our club, the players, the staff, the fans all contributed to an amazing two seasons.

Maybe we all need to take a deep breath, maybe watch a couple of replays of the finals series games and enjoy it for what it was.
Yes it is sad but we the faithful will always smile when we wake up each day and know we are champions. F*ck all the haters.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Sure I've been annoyed by the negative articles and by some of our own players judgement off the field but I could care less about our team being hated by opposition fans. Professional sport at the elite level is about winning trophies, not being liked by the opposition. Title winning teams and dynasty teams, are rarely well liked by opposing fans and there is plenty of jealousy. In fact I have enjoyed our team for once being a team whose success pisses other fans off.

GongPanther

Referee
Sure I've been annoyed by the negative articles and by some of our own players judgement off the field but I could care less about our team being hated by opposition fans. Professional sport at the elite level is about winning trophies, not being liked by the opposition. Title winning teams and dynasty teams, are rarely well liked by opposing fans and there is plenty of jealousy. In fact I have enjoyed our team for once being a team whose success pisses other fans off.
The "fans" in here are a very, very tiny percentage of the overall NRL fan population.

maple_69

Bench
Yeah the proportion of people that have been successfully whipped into a Panther hating frenzy because they frequent this community or r/NRL is not representative of the average fan. I haven’t met anyone in the outside world who hasn’t been super pumped for Penrith or said more than just the odd ‘ah footy players are dumb ay’. I think the effect is exacerbated by the fact that we weren’t able to go out and celebrate it so have been absorbing it all online.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Yeah the proportion of people that have been successfully whipped into a Panther hating frenzy because they frequent this community or r/NRL is not representative of the average fan. I haven’t met anyone in the outside world who hasn’t been super pumped for Penrith or said more than just the odd ‘ah footy players are dumb ay’. I think the effect is exacerbated by the fact that we weren’t able to go out and celebrate it so have been absorbing it all online.

Some very good points raised.

The club were away from home. So some of the 'normal' cheques and balances weren't in sight.

It was basically 'online' celebrations only. In 'normal' times the online presence wouldn't have been so great.

I just hope going forward that the club puts in place, ensures that players do some 'intensive' work about social media, and that appropriate steps are taken and persisted with.

When it's all said and done, the players themselves are damaging their own personal brand. Not just the clubs.

Let's hope that lessons are well learnt.

Like with penalities during the game. Don't give the vigilanttes a chance to be critical of you.

Just to be clear, the things that Penrith are being accused of are;
- May’s post. Been talked about to death and have made my position clear a few times.
- We broke the trophy which is a dumb thing to do (but even dumber to then make light of it). Critta with a photo of broken trophy disrespecting it. Cleary also got fined because his head was shown in one of the photos.
- Kikau sang the Glory Glory song. Given the things that the owner of South Sydney said about the area and people of Penrith before the game I really enjoyed that.

Is that it? Honestly, if you take the May thing out (only because I don’t want to go around the houses on it again) that is the lamest stag do ever….

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It comes across CWP as Troy Dodds said in his Western Weekender article as 'perception'.
I agree the 'offences' were blown out of all proportion.

Folks took the KoolAid and drank it to get their fill.

Bit like when a team is continually getting hammered by the match officials. You don't give them anything to penalise you for.

That's what it comes down to in the end. Don't give the 'suckers' cause to carry on.

Iamback

Coach
Just to be clear, the things that Penrith are being accused of are;
- May’s post. Been talked about to death and have made my position clear a few times.
- We broke the trophy which is a dumb thing to do (but even dumber to then make light of it). Critta with a photo of broken trophy disrespecting it. Cleary also got fined because his head was shown in one of the photos.
- Kikau sang the Glory Glory song. Given the things that the owner of South Sydney said about the area and people of Penrith before the game I really enjoyed that.

Is that it? Honestly, if you take the May thing out (only because I don’t want to go around the houses on it again) that is the lamest stag do ever….

'White powder' in a Post GF party. Turned out to be a cracked screen

May and Cleary sneaking their mates into QLD.

Very lame bender if you ask me

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Honestly think the ship has passed on this.

Will be missing Burton, Capewell, May, Naden and likely Koroisau (unvaccinated).

Will be a bit of a Dizzee if you ask me.

I was told the only ones missing will be Api and May.

I don't know how true it is, but that's what I was told.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Honestly think the ship has passed on this.

Will be missing Burton, Capewell, May, Naden and likely Koroisau (unvaccinated).

Will be a bit of a Dizzee if you ask me.
Capewell, will won't be. Naden, did not play, so he won't be. Koroisau, has not had his vaccines, so he won't be, and same with May. Burton might though.