What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Grand Final: Panthers V Souths

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/09/...rs-become-the-new-team-nrl-fans-love-to-hate/
I liked this article. Maybe you will find it interesting too. Relatively recent.

I wrote an in depth post about a week a go on this same subject.

Since you're hear for the 'trolling' I'll give you the readers digest version which is.

I couldn't give a shit what other fans think or believe.

I know that Penrith Panthers represent their members, fans, families, friends and the community. Inspiring us all with their work ethic and reslience.

I think speak for myself here, and my family.

Win or Lose I will be so very proud.

Proud of a team whose co captain has played with a busted shoulder now for a number of months.

Proud of blokes like Brian To'o, Leota, JFH, Edwards who have played through great pain and discomfort to get to a grandfinal.

proud of the 6 players who made the Dally M team of the year.

Proud of the 7 players who played origin. and the 6 who won origin.

Proud of the team who are so closely aligned with the surrounding community. The father whose the coach and his son.

The young boys from the Druitt who have given inspiration to many kids in impovished circumstances that you can achieve.

One word.....PROUD.
Well said Alice; couldn’t agree more. Been a great season.

roofromoz

First Grade
You do understand the bunnies are fishing and looking for the reaction fletcher should just shut up and stay in the background don’t give them anything to cling to

Bennett's pulling the strings, just getting one of his many minions to do the work this week. Like the Russell Crowe tweet.

Don't fall for the tra... ah god dammit Brian.

Wish Bennett would focus on the game rather than trying to manipulate the referees yet again. The NRL claim it has no effect on how they adjudicate. Yet from the opening whistle of our first game referees were warning us about exactly what he complained about.

Souths are then doing the same thing they whined about us doing but not being warned for it. Now they're complaining about trainers on the field when Wayne Bennett and Alfie were the ones who made it an art to have a trainer on as 18th man.
Back in the early 2000s, Des Hasler was accused of playing the 18th man quite often when he was the trainer before switching to coaching.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
You do understand the bunnies are fishing and looking for the reaction fletcher should just shut up and stay in the background don’t give them anything to cling to
Nah, it's a legit complaint because it was bloody obvious that merkin knew the Westie boys were gassed and on the rack, the merkin did everything he could to hold up the play or coach them from behind the line. Melbourne, and that dick Munster didn't capitalise. Munster made no moves to his right side of the attack, where Ugg Boot Head had swallowed his lungs, and was gasping for air, he was on the rack.

Melbourne was dogshit tactically, yet still in the game right to the end

The_Frog

First Grade
Nah, it's a legit complaint because it was bloody obvious that merkin knew the Westie boys were gassed and on the rack, the merkin did everything he could to hold up the play or coach them from behind the line. Melbourne, and that dick Munster didn't capitalise. Munster made no moves to his right side of the attack, where Ugg Boot Head had swallowed his lungs, and was gasping for air, he was on the rack.

Melbourne was dogshit tactically, yet still in the game right to the end
Botany born
Botany bred
Long in the leg
And short in the head.

The_Frog

First Grade
Interesting quirk time.

1991: Captain was our halfback.
At least one player in the backline was called Paul (Smith)
Our Hooker had played Origin for the Blues. Simmons.

2003: Captain was our halfback.
At least one player in the backline was called Paul (Whaturia)
Our Hooker had played Origin for the Blues. Priddis

2021: Co-Captain is our halfback. (Still counts)
At least one player in the backline was called Paul (Momirovski)
Our Hooker has played Origin for the Blues. Api.
2021 Champion opposition half carrying groin injury.
1991 Champion opposition half carrying groin injury.
2003 Opposition half was Brett Finch, so didn't need a groin injury.

maple_69

Bench
Key will once again be the start. People say Melbourne were off their game and should have scored when we were out on our feet towards the end forget that they were blown off the park in the first 25 and were visibly gone in the last 20. Some bounces of the ball fell for us but we put them off their game and typically the side with the initiative gets the bounces.

Souths are not as bad as Manly but they are flat track bullies. Start like we did against Melbourne and they won’t be able to wrestle their way back into the contest like Melbourne did. We have the benefit of knowing this week and their pack (the most important guys in that first 20) could very well be overawed by an early blitzkrieg just like we were last year.

I feel like I need this win in my bones. It’s become such a burning obsession over the last decade as we’ve rebuilt and you can see the same in our whole squad/staff. Most of this bloody team is out of form but they’ve just wanted it more. They’ll do anything. I can’t recall a more brutal finals campaign. 93 hours to go gang.

Crashtest

Juniors
Ivan lost us the game week 1, he really is a mediocre coach

Have we been watching different games over the last 2 seasons?

You see Ivan as a mediocre coach.

I see a coach that has gotten us to our second grand final in a row, with an incredible 20 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss last season, and 24 wins and 4 losses this season, with hopefully 1 more win still to come.

Or if you want to judge him against whether he can beat the master coaches, over the last 2 years he is 5 to 1 against Bennett, 4 to 0 against Robinson, and 3 to 2 against Bellamy.

Or on for and against? 2021, 676 for and 286 against. 2020, 537 for and 238 against.

With one of the youngest rosters in the competition.

maple_69

Bench
Tactically/technically I think Ivan is back in the pack with the rest of the coaches. In terms of the soft skills of a coach, fostering talent, getting players to the right level for a game and building culture within a squad, Ivan is right up there.

Attitude and motivation won out the last few weeks and will be crucial this Sunday. Getting the right assistants in will be key going forward as it is for Bellamy, Robbo and Wayne. They need to compliment Ivan’s weaknesses and Ciraldo and Barrett fit the bill.

mxlegend99

Referee
Provided Ivan doesn't shit the bed trying to be too fancy, should be a comfortable win
This is a grand final... Meaning neither team is coming in ready to give less than 100%.

Souths have a fresher and healthier roster. One of the greatest coaches the game has ever seen. There's no chance we win comfortably as Bennett won't allow his team to be caught out with an early onslaught like we were last year

This game will be our toughest of the year. It's 50/50 despite what bookies say and could very easily come down to the bounce of a ball, an injury or a single poor read by a single player.

Our last 2 weeks prepared us for 80 minutes of that. But in these tight games luck could play its part or nerves. Fortunately our guys won't think it's an easy game having last years grand final loss and week 1 finals loss to remind them we can't give less than 100% for 80minutes.

Crowd capacity has been reduced by 25% for the game, things moving quickly, though, wouldn’t be surprised to see more changes.

Latest posts