What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Grand Final: Panthers V Souths

Iamback

Coach
We are the best side and should be extremely confident. If our pack rips in we win, just have too much class.

This. We learn't what we did wrong last year and can improve from that. We almost beat them with Eisenhuth as starting prop which says alot about the rest of the team

The_Frog

First Grade
It's 50/50 despite what bookies say
What they are saying is Panthers 100/168 or 59%, Rabbitohs 100/225 or 44%. Taking out the margin 57-43. We are slight fav's on the back of beating the Storm I suppose but thats all. Our biggest worry is whether our crocked players pass fit and hold up for the game.

TheRiff

Juniors
This is a grand final... Meaning neither team is coming in ready to give less than 100%.

Souths have a fresher and healthier roster. One of the greatest coaches the game has ever seen. There's no chance we win comfortably as Bennett won't allow his team to be caught out with an early onslaught like we were last year

This game will be our toughest of the year. It's 50/50 despite what bookies say and could very easily come down to the bounce of a ball, an injury or a single poor read by a single player.

Our last 2 weeks prepared us for 80 minutes of that. But in these tight games luck could play its part or nerves. Fortunately our guys won't think it's an easy game having last years grand final loss and week 1 finals loss to remind them we can't give less than 100% for 80minutes.
Once you get on the field the coaching is irrelevant, Ivan's job this week is to pick the correct team. Tick there

Aside from that get out of the way and let the support staff rehab the injured guys

Then let the assistants go to work on the video breaking Souths down, Very minimal actual training needed this week.

When we get on the field, Our halves have won 52 from 56 games together. Are both now Origin players, So should be able to control the game.

Then we go to our All Origin backrow, Throw in the best prop in the game and 2nd rower of the year.

The squad is now elite, We have a great recent record v Souffs. Apart from another choke we should win well

TheRiff

Juniors
What they are saying is Panthers 100/168 or 59%, Rabbitohs 100/225 or 44%. Taking out the margin 57-43. We are slight fav's on the back of beating the Storm I suppose but thats all. Our biggest worry is whether our crocked players pass fit and hold up for the game.

There wouldn't be a side that gets to this stage with no injuries, We have the luxury of picking our top 16 players at the club

Iamback

Coach
Have we been watching different games over the last 2 seasons?

You see Ivan as a mediocre coach.

I see a coach that has gotten us to our second grand final in a row, with an incredible 20 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss last season, and 24 wins and 4 losses this season, with hopefully 1 more win still to come.

Or if you want to judge him against whether he can beat the master coaches, over the last 2 years he is 5 to 1 against Bennett, 4 to 0 against Robinson, and 3 to 2 against Bellamy.

Or on for and against? 2021, 676 for and 286 against. 2020, 537 for and 238 against.

With one of the youngest rosters in the competition.

Good coaches win Premierships, Hell even an average coach in Ricky won 1. Although he did lose 2 with Freddy in his team enough said really

BxTom

Bench
Good coaches win Premierships, Hell even an average coach in Ricky won 1. Although he did lose 2 with Freddy in his team enough said really
Ricky inherited some good teams that performed well before his coaching took effect...

Hooked

Juniors

Cleary goes into his shell after Bennett run-in whips up media circus​

By Sarah Keoghan

September 29, 2021 — 6.04pm

Panthers players have seen a different Ivan Cleary this week compared to last year’s grand final build-up after the coach declared he would be “staying in the background” ahead of the 2021 premiership decider.

Last year, Cleary was more than happy to facilitate interviews with his players, answer calls from journalists and have his say on a number of issues ahead of the grand final. Not this time.
Informing journalists he will not be taking calls this week, Cleary’s closed-door attitude has made for a “smoother” lead-up to the grand final, senior players said.
Son and skipper Nathan, in particular, has noticed the difference.

“It’s what he does best; he works well with the group behind closed doors,” Nathan said. “He’s got that personality anyway. He doesn’t want to be on the front pages and in the media too much.”
The change is likely the result of Ivan’s run-in with Wayne Bennett in the lead-up to and aftermath of his side’s semi-final clash against the Rabbitohs.
The two coaches engaged in a war of words ahead of the Rabbitohs 16-10 defeat of Cleary’s side after it was revealed Bennett had contacted the NRL to express his concerns about what he felt were illegal tactics used by the Panthers.
When asked after their preliminary final win over the Storm about whether he would be resuming hostilities with Bennett, Cleary said he would not be going up against the master coach again.

“Wayne’s the best coach probably of all time, certainly in my memory,” Cleary said in his post-match press conference on Saturday. “I’ll be doing what I’m good at and staying in the background this week.”
Panthers hooker Api Koroisau said the finals series had been very different to last year.

“Everything that’s been happening so far has been working really well,” Koroisau said. “It’s really smooth. He’s doing a great job. It possibly could lead to a different result.
“We learnt a lot of lessons from that game last year, so we will be way more ready than we were.”

After last year’s 26-20 grand final loss to the Storm, Cleary delivered a rousing speech to the players in the sheds with winger Brian To’o believing the group has carried the message, which was about resilience, through this season.
“[The speech was] just to ensure we worked hard next year and everything happens for a reason,” To’o said.
“Coach is a very generous man. He’s just trying to keep the boys positive with everything, even when things go wrong. He’s forever staying positive. He knows how we all feel when things go wrong and just is very composed and keeps us smiling.”

Hooked

Juniors
Most of the media being News Ltd. This just goes to show that everyone on NRL360 are just puppets.

I have been reading articles on the Herald and NRL.com this week. A few fair articles. (except Johns)
Telegraph is usual OTT, that is why I avoid them. Don't watch 360 anymore.

Iamback

Coach
I have been reading articles on the Herald and NRL.com this week. A few fair articles. (except Johns)
Telegraph is usual OTT, that is why I avoid them. Don't watch 360 anymore.

NRL.com has a few nice ones. I stick clear of DT ones

Frankus

Juniors
The only panther available to head to the tigers is me.i can be bought .Silverdale will put my poster on the wall and pray to the mob god.just quietly silverdale is a closet panther we go way back to the days when the club run its own forum .Silverdale was a regular back then
I used to be on the club run forum too. The marketing bloke used to run/administer it. From memory he was rather portly.