1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL and Super League along with the match programme for the coming round!

Ahead of Women in League Round this weekend, this bumper issue has plenty of features. Paul Jobber chats to Erin Molan about life in broadcasting, footy and more. Joshua Wells talks to NRLW player Botille Vette-Welsh about her rise in the women's game. We've also got Rick Edgerton's weekly finals piece, this week looking at the spines of each of the top eight sides. We also look at Old Boys Day through the eyes of Newcastle prop Daniel Saifiti.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Round 19 programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 17 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

2021 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

Discussion in 'NRL' started by LeagueUnlimited News, Aug 6, 2020.

1. gzerounian

gzerounian Juniors

Very nike like?
    Screenshot_20200807_074923.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  2. sempmrh

sempmrh Juniors

I don’t remember the source but I’m sure I read that it won’t be Puma for the Broncos. Puma supposedly does now have a license to produce for the NRL, though.

The issues with the use of the Opera House in logos is disappointing. However, the Roosters could greatly benefit by switching to their heritage logo and I’m sure the AFL will pay whatever they have to to keep the Opera House shape for the Swans. Disappointing that the Kings have had to change their logo because their logo was timeless - and this comes from a Melbourne United/Tigers fan.

3. GAZF

GAZF First Grade

Very "every second on-line business from 1998" like.

I couldn't disagree more.

some11 likes this.
  4. greenBV4

greenBV4 Juniors

yeah IMO its a horrible, messy looking logo

5. shear_joy9

shear_joy9 Coach

Easy fix

[​IMG]

6. sempmrh

sempmrh Juniors

I’ll concede that it needs a little work and could benefit from a clean up but I think the concept is very solid and it has definitely stood the test of time.

7. Saint Doc

Saint Doc Coach

Well according to this article, the licensing fee for the Kings increased from $1000 per season (a deal initially brokered around the time the Kings went into administration) to $50,000 per season, in line with what Sydney FC and the Swans pay.

interestingly, the article states:
    “A League champions Sydney FC have had an arrangement and partnership with the Opera House Trust since 2017 given they display the Opera House on the club’s badge. It’s understood the Sydney Swans have a similar agreement while back-to-back NRL champions the Sydney Roosters don’t have an agreement.”

That said, unlikely to be an issue. $50k would fall out of Nick Politis’ jeans pockets if he turned them upside down.

8. MugaB

MugaB Juniors

what? This!
    Correct it has standed the test of time

9. Nqcowboy

Nqcowboy Juniors

*stood
    Not to be a dick hah

MugaB likes this.
  10. Nqcowboy

Nqcowboy Juniors

https://frinkiac.com/meme/S11E09/12...ZIEhFIEZPVU5ECiBJTiBISVMgVFVYRURPIFBBTlRTLi4u

Saint Doc likes this.
  11. flippikat

flippikat Juniors

An updated take on the classic Roosters logo - akin to how the Bulldogs revamped their classic Bulldog logo - would be very cool to see.

12. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

The bridge is more iconic and surely there isn't an F'ing bridge trust so just flip to that on the roosters head.

13. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion First Grade

[​IMG] that's why they got rid of this logo, the Harbour bridge told them to pay up or change.

14. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion First Grade

The Sydney Opera House Trust has slapped a $50,000 annual price tag on the use of its likeness in the logo of the Sydney Kings – and the city's other sports teams could soon be asked to pay a similar fee.

The Kings are set for a rebrand after the National Basketball League decided it was no longer "cost-viable" to use the badge the club has had since its inception in 1988, which features a squiggly line stylised to resemble the Opera House sails.
    The Kings had previously paid a nominal amount – believed to be as little as $1000 – to use the imagery for a 10-year period from March 2010 as part of a deal which was later taken over by Basketball Australia.

That contract expired this year and, after fresh talks with the Opera House Trust, the NBL – which now owns the intellectual property rights of all teams – decided it could not afford the rich asking price, especially in a post-COVID climate for basketball.

An Opera House spokesperson confirmed negotiations took place over a new trademark licence agreement for a "modest fee", which sources close to the discussions confirmed as $50,000, but that no agreement was reached.

The Swans, Roosters and Sixers could soon face similar demands. Those clubs do not have such licensing arrangements in place with the Opera House, despite all of them paying tribute to the venue in their logos. The Swans even use it in the heart of their AFL guernsey.

Sporting teams who want to use the Opera House as part of their imagery could be set to pay a hefty price. EDWINA PICKLES

"The recent approach with the Sydney Kings is part of an ongoing process to ensure consistency in commercial brand use and trademark licences," the Opera House spokesperson said.

The logo trademarks of the Swans and Roosters are both up for renewal in 2026, according to the IP Australia website, which could give the Opera House an opportunity to seek a substantial fee akin to what was asked of the Kings.

Curiously, no logo trademark was found for the Big Bash League's Sixers, whose badge features an outline reminiscent of the Opera House sails.

"I said there might be a bit of a misunderstanding of the nature of how things are now, as we're certainly not rolling in cash.

"It would be an interesting outcome if basketball, which is certainly the minnow in the pond compared to the football codes, was asked to fork out funds we didn't have – and the big machines, the AFL and NRL clubs, were given it for free."

The prospect of a rebranding has not been met kindly by Kings diehards who are upset that the team is doing away with a visual link that has lasted more than 30 years.

"We did not do [this] on the basis of trying to distance ourselves from the heritage of the club. We were just playing the cards we were dealt," said Kings chairman Paul Smith.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sm...50-000-price-tag-on-logo-20200807-p55jqj.html

15. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Hahah, i never spotted the opera house sails in this...

I suddenly have so much more respect for the logo (they should definitely change to the Training logo design, but still)

16. some11

some11 Coach

Can someone tell me what is so wrong about this?

[​IMG]

17. Nqcowboy

Nqcowboy Juniors

I would have thought something like the harbour bridge would be under public license

18. Nqcowboy

Nqcowboy Juniors

Modernise it a bit and it be good, like details in the feathers, to me it looks a little too old timey and basic, but that’s my opinion

flippikat likes this.
  19. Saint Doc

Saint Doc Coach

Sorry I know this is verging on needing to go in the mockup thread, but just quickly, I saw this on Twitter the other day. Very nice mockup. If roosters were in trouble because of the opera house sails in 2021, this would be a great new logo

greenBV4 and Nqcowboy like this.
  20. Nqcowboy

Nqcowboy Juniors

That Zander one is mint, has a real Tottenham vibe