What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

callmack1

Staff member
NRL confirms 18th player rule for foul play or three failed HIAs: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/06...ayer-rule-for-foul-play-or-three-failed-hias/

The tweaks they've made sound great! I like it!

Souths skipper Adam Reynolds’ ‘growing anger’ as contract standoff takes ugly turn: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/d1666481705581e17be623806beb1e71

17-year first exposes NRL’s worrying gulf but V’landys says clubs must ’get their rosters right’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/c131134d9a66b4cdb8b787d3a0ad84af

Billy Slater's solution to end NRL's 'concerning' divide between top and bottom teams : https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/billy-...om-teams/e5a1a29e-ece3-45d9-96e4-997b9e20a536

Why scrapping U-20s has led to great divide between NRL's best and worst - Phil Gould: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/why-sc...il-gould/1b1ee2ce-a1ed-499f-81e9-3af438178c26

Rabbits20

Immortal
Reynolds on verge of walking out on Rabbitohs as club stands ground
Michael Chammas
By Michael Chammas
April 6, 2021 — 5.20pm

Adam Reynolds is on the verge of walking out on South Sydney after the club held its ground by refusing to budge on its offer of a one-year extension to the veteran halfback.

The Rabbitohs held an internal meeting on Tuesday where it was decided that they would not fold on their position when they speak to Reynolds’ manager, Steve Gillis, later this week.

Reynolds is now expected to test the market as protracted negotiations threaten to become a distraction in the Rabbitohs’ quest for a premiership in coach Wayne Bennett’s final year at the club.

While Reynolds has dropped his demands from a three-year deal to a two-year deal, the Rabbitohs are adamant there will only be a one-year extension put on the table for the 30-year-old, who is off contract at the end of this season.

The club has reiterated to Reynolds’ manager it would be happy to revisit another extension in 12 months’ time and move players on if necessary, but doesn’t want to commit long term at the risk of crippling the club’s salary cap if things didn’t work out with the playmaker.

Reynolds’ camp has also taken exception to a Sydney Morning Herald story written on Monday, in which it was revealed the Cowboys had discovered the halfback has been on restricted training duties since fracturing his vertebrae in 2019.

The Reynolds camp told Nine News that the disclosure was a case of dirty tricks from South Sydney trying to impact his value, despite Reynolds spotted wearing a non-contact rehab bib at training on Monday.

It was also revealed that the Rabbitohs had more contracted players for 2023 than any other club, and would only have around $2 million to spend on 16 players if the contracts of Reynolds and Cody Walker were extended for another two years. That would leave the club with a per-player average of just $125,000 to spend on the remaining squad.

Latrell Mitchell, Cameron Murray, Jai Arrow, Campbell Graham, Damien Cook, Thomas Burgess, Tevita Tatola, Liam Knight, Hame Sele, Keaon Koloamatangi, Jacob Host and Jed Cartwright are the 12 Rabbitohs players contracted until the end of 2023.

The Cowboys are sitting back and waiting with interest, and are in the process of compiling an offer to lure the halfback away from Redfern, where he has played his entire career.

The Rabbitohs don’t want to disrespect Reynolds but had hoped the halfback would be considerate of the club’s salary cap position and future planning. However, it appears that ship has sailed with the club now bracing for the 2014 premiership winner to explore his options at rival clubs.

The club had also hoped to deal with the matter privately, but Reynolds decided to voice his frustrations with negotiations in an interview in February. The matter has since been played out in the media as a result.

The club has a big opinion of young halves Lachlan Ilias and Blake Taafe, who led the club to the 2019 Jersey Flegg title, and is hoping to get value for money out of the pair in the early stages of their careers to help balance the salary cap in the event of Reynolds leaving.

The Cowboys may not be the only Queensland club in the market for Reynolds, with speculation that both the Titans and Broncos are considering having a crack at landing his signature.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Yeah but at the same time John Sutton agreed to year by year contracts so why can’t Reyno?
Sutton had a family too
Fair enough. However I just think if Reyno was prepared to adjust what he was looking for, then maybe the club could do the same. Compromise requires both sides to cede some ground.

handyman2190

Bench
So Reyno was prepared to drop from three years to two but the club wouldn't negotiate? I'm officially pissed at the club.
Come on rocky,have you not been reading my posts?
Signing him for 2 years means we lose players a lot of them,from competitive to also rans, he wants 2 years and a mill each year, take 500k and we sign for 2, he cant have his cake and eat it as well. All of us want success, imagine coming 12th every year this forum would explode and call the powers incompetent. Take a pill everyone,this is the way it works, and u know he could take the year and help the club, but selfish, go elsewere spread the love i say, but whats the bet he takes the year, anyone?

TSP I like your humor.

It’s a good forum this one.

If I was adopting your adamant policy, I’d need a theory.

Firstly, the (fake) stand-off is good click bait, sells papers and subscriptions. A bit of cash is being exchanged amongst unknown parties for the delivery of the fracas!

Secondly, it brings some lessor players into line about their expectations. They can no longer count on lavish contracts.

Thirdly, Adam and his manager are in on the game. It’s good for their reputation and their perceived value to be tough.

Fourthly, Paytens alleged chat was just one he’s having with a lot of players as they are struggling.

Probably a few more, but they are all possibilities.

mmmmm....

Mad Bunny

Juniors
Come on rocky,have you not been reading my posts?
Signing him for 2 years means we lose players a lot of them,from competitive to also rans, he wants 2 years and a mill each year, take 500k and we sign for 2, he cant have his cake and eat it as well. All of us want success, imagine coming 12th every year this forum would explode and call the powers incompetent. Take a pill everyone,this is the way it works, and u know he could take the year and help the club, but selfish, go elsewere spread the love i say

Great post handyman2190.