What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RLWC Men's Semi Finals

Winners - who makes the final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Joey himself said Cleary has done more at 24 than he ever did

let’s see once his career is done in ten years

he’s already won as many grand finals and I suspect it’s going to be a few more before he’s done
I've never seen anyone work harder than Nathan but he's not on that level.
He'll have a better career number wise but that's not how I judge the greats

Wb1234

Referee
Gotta say. I don't get a real good vibe from Panthers supporters...f**k me, hate to talk to them when they're losing 😳
Turns out Luai is very accurate representation of Penrith. O no wait, you have Gus...
Must be the biggest concentration of fxckwitts in the country.
Gus is a club wh@re

he’s almost as much dogs as he was Penrith

don’t forget the chooks too he still loved the roosters too
I've never seen anyone work harder than Nathan but he's not on that level.
He'll have a better career number wise but that's not how I judge the greats
Johns is my fav player but I dunno

Cleary could take the mantle one day

and johns was all work too

it was his extra training that made him the goat

it comes down to Cleary maturing as a player

We were talking specifically about the Samoan and Tongan players, no one mentioned Tedesco

You avoided answering my question, I'll ask again using fewer words...

Your parents are Australian, they move to Japan and you are born 3 years later. Would you consider yourself Japanese or Australian?

Or as you put it , would you be a Japanese pretending to be Australian:D

The Tedesco situation doesn't suit your stance ?
Cooper Johns anyone ?

They're Australians just like the Samoan & Tongans & thats that.
If this is what you're putting up to become the mantle in RL.... good luck

you'll need plenty ....

taste2taste

Juniors
The Tedesco situation doesn't suit your stance ?
Cooper Johns anyone ?

They're Australians just like the Samoan & Tongans & thats that.
If this is what you're putting up to become the mantle in RL.... good luck

you'll need plenty ....
No one mentioned Tedesco or Johns, only you to try and suite your narrative, every one agress those are a stretch and moving forward the IRL needs to tighten the rules. But alll sports have the occasional one like that, do you rember Craig Gower playing Union for Italy? Ben Te'o playing rugby for England? Joel Embiid playing basketball for France ? Kevin Pieterson playing cricket for England, And there are plenty of other examples in cricket and soccer if you do some digging.

For a 3rd time you've avoided answering a very simple question, your born in Japan to Australian parents...Kangaroos? Or the Cherry Blossoms ?

I'm assuming you aren't answering the question because you'll be proving yourself wrong ? I'll answer for you. You could play for either country, Nanai chose Australia, To'o chose Samoa, I can't see how anyone could have a problem with that.

You're aware there are more Kiwi born Samoans in the team than there are Australian ? Or are they kiwis pretending to be Samoans ?

Anyways, the people of Samoa don't care that the team is made up of ' Aussies pretending to be Samoans ' did you see the main street of Apia packed with celebrations ? Or are people in Apia not real Samoans either ? They're just Samoans pretending to be Samoans :D :D :D

Last edited:
But we don't lose

Really? Penrith Panthers have a 100% win ratio in its entire first grade playing history eh?! Please stop talking rubbish on that one point. Of late they rarely lose, but they have not had a perfect winning season ever in first grade.

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Luai and Yeo are both better players than Cleary.

If fullbacks and wingers aren't dropping Cleary's bombs, as per the WC semi, he's not adding much. Quite a non-threatening running and passing game.

Luai and Yeo are both better players than Cleary.

If fullbacks and wingers aren't dropping Cleary's bombs, as per the WC semi, he's not adding much. Quite a non-threatening running and passing game.

Cleary's passing game is better than you think. Further a running game is not the be all and end all. Peter Sterling was not a great runner of the ball, nor very quick, but he was a brilliant halfback who had a great passing game, an excellent kicking game, and knew how to guide his team around the park. In fact in many ways Cleary's playing style is remarkably akin to Sterlo's, except Cleary is quicker than Sterlo was.

If you think Luai is better than Cleary, then sorry but I cannot agree with you there. Luai is more a ball runner, and fades in and out of games a lot. Cleary is far more consistent.

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench
Really? Penrith Panthers have a 100% win ratio in its entire first grade playing history eh?! Please stop talking rubbish on that one point. Of late they rarely lose, but they have not had a perfect winning season ever in first grade.
A couple of good seasons and have a go at the carry on of these guys 😳 f**k me. Bad losers and bad winners.

Iamback

Coach

Since 2014 Luai has

Played SG Ball GF
Won NYC
Lost NYC GF
Won NSW Cup
Won National Championship
Lost NRL GF
Won NRL GF x 2

Throw in an Origin Series win
Now a World Cup final

The guy knows how to win and tells everyone so

No one mentioned Tedesco or Johns, only you to try and suite your narrative, every one agress those are a stretch and moving forward the IRL needs to tighten the rules. But alll sports have the occasional one like that, do you rember Craig Gower playing Union for Italy? Ben Te'o playing rugby for England? Joel Embiid playing basketball for France ? Kevin Pieterson playing cricket for England, And there are plenty of other examples in cricket and soccer if you do some digging.

For a 3rd time you've avoided answering a very simple question, your born in Japan to Australian parents...Kangaroos? Or the Cherry Blossoms ?

I'm assuming you aren't answering the question because you'll be proving yourself wrong ? I'll answer for you. You could play for either country, Nanai chose Australia, To'o chose Samoa, I can't see how anyone could have a problem with that.

You're aware there are more Kiwi born Samoans in the team than there are Australian ? Or are they kiwis pretending to be Samoans ?

Anyways, the people of Samoa don't care that the team is made up of ' Aussies pretending to be Samoans ' did you see the main street of Apia packed with celebrations ? Or are people in Apia not real Samoans either ? They're just Samoans pretending to be Samoans :D :D :D

I mentioned Tedesco & Johns , I'll throw in Victor Radley too
but you won't go near them , because it makes you look like a fool & international RL look like a circus

& its nice a few Samoans got excited a bunch of aussies of samoan heritage beat the worlds biggest bed shitters to make the RLWC final
but
Its Aussies & kiwis & poms we need to get excited about it , & they aren't

well aussies certainly aren't ...

SBD82

Coach
but you won't go near them , because it makes you look like a fool & international RL look like a circus

& its nice a few Samoans got excited a bunch of aussies of samoan heritage beat the worlds biggest bed shitters to make the RLWC final
but

I am.

good for you , I don't begrudge anyone a bit of excitement in their lives & better it be a game of RL then another sport

but
the absolute delusional garbage being posted about international RL once again becoming the pinnacle of our game off the back of this present set up needs to be called what it is

Baloney ......

Since 2014 Luai has

Played SG Ball GF
Won NYC
Lost NYC GF
Won NSW Cup
Won National Championship
Lost NRL GF
Won NRL GF x 2

Throw in an Origin Series win
Now a World Cup final

The guy knows how to win and tells everyone so

Sorry and what has that got to do with having Penrith never having a 100% winning record in an NRL/first grade season? Nothing. Penrith haven't achieved it in its history whilst a number of other clubs have.

Your post is not germane in any way, shape or form to the post you replied to.

taste2taste

Juniors

but

No one's arguing with you about Tedesco and whoever else it is you keep mentioning, we agree the rules are too loose for many heritage players. Do you have the same beef with union and cricket who also relied heavily on heritage players in the past and still do for thier emerging nations ? You'll find a fair few Tedescos in those sports too.

Your initial comment was about Samoans and Tongans. You can't put them in the same category as Tedesco.

For a 4th time you've avoided my question, I'll make it multiple choice so even a pre schooler could answer.

If you were born in Japan to Australian parents with 100% Australain ancestry, who should you be allowed to play for
A) Japan
B) Australia
C) eligible for both

Just write a simple A,B or C, no need to get side tracked rambling about Tedesco again.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
On a more parochial note, lot of soul searching for English RL. We definitely need to playing more often. A few brain explosions probably cost us yesterday, probably from those you may have least expected to? We should have won, but here we go again. Because of the way the media is here, not getting to the final is a massive blow. But, like I said last night, we carry on but this has to count as a lost opportunity for English RL. We need more international games.
I have a fear that there will be a fair few empty seats at the final now. That would be a shame to end an hugely enjoyable tournament that way.
I know it’s easy to have a crack at SL right now. Please don’t take this that way.

I don’t think that the English players necessarily need more internationals. I think they need a comp that provides a high standard of football week in and week out.

The reason that the Aussies are so good in the clutch moments is because they hone their skills in a tough comp, and on top of that they are given the opportunity to play at a high level in origin.

How they reach that standard is easier said than done. The NRL model is to ensure that all clubs are strong across the board. Pick them up financially when they falter, make sure their playing roster is paid for. Expand with caution and focus on income from television rights. Some teams go through lean years, but the financial safety net means that they all play at a fairly high standard most of the time.

England is a different environment so the same formula won’t work for them. But unless they work out a way to ensure that games each week are against reasonable teams, I think they’ll struggle to stick with the international sides that are largely comprised of NRL players. Strengthen France Ireland and Scotland players within the comp and they’ll benefit too.

SBD82

Coach
good for you , I don't begrudge anyone a bit of excitement in their lives & better it be a game of RL then another sport

but
the absolute delusional garbage being posted about international RL once again becoming the pinnacle of our game off the back of this present set up needs to be called what it is

Baloney ......
It doesn’t have to be the pinnacle to be enjoyable though. And it’s thoroughly enjoyable watching NRL players strengthen the sides that have traditionally struggled against the top 3 international teams. Watching the heart that Tonga played with a few years back was awesome, and watching Samoa emulate that this year is pretty gratifying.

No one's arguing with you about Tedesco and whoever else it is you keep mentioning, we agree the rules are too loose for many heritage players. Do you have the same beef with union and cricket who also relied heavily on heritage players in the past and still do for thier emerging nations ? You'll find a fair few Tedescos in those sports too.

Your initial comment was about Samoans and Tongans. You can't put them in the same category as Tedesco.

For a 4th time you've avoided my question, I'll make it multiple choice so even a pre schooler could answer.

If you were born in Japan to Australian parents with 100% Australain ancestry, who should you be allowed to play for
A) Japan
B) Australia
C) eligible for both

Just write a simple A,B or C, no need to get side tracked rambling about Tedesco again.
Samoans & Tongans were my initial example of a much bigger gripe
cricket & union internationals are the pinnacle of their sports , international RL is not & is way behind other forms & this is set up is not going to get it closer to those

Your suggestions it will is laughable

taste2taste

Juniors
Samoans & Tongans were my initial example of a much bigger gripe
cricket & union internationals are the pinnacle of their sports , international RL is not & is way behind other forms & this is set up is not going to get it closer to those

Your suggestions it will is laughable
Do you remember the 1987 Rugby World Cup ? I do, I attended games. There were scores of 70 - 10, crowds of 5k, emerging nations made up entirely of heritage players. Were you on forums back then telling them the sport was headed no where and anyone who thought it could grow was laughable and delusional ?

For the 5th time you've doged the question. You've appointed yourself the gatekeeper of international elegability, in the scenario I gave you putting yourself in the same situation as the Samoans and Tongans, what's your answer ?

If you were born in Japan to Australian parents, who you can you play for ?
A) Japan
B) Australia
C) Eligible for both
I'll add in a fourth option
D) You'd be Japanese pretending to be an Aussie

Last edited:
In some respects, I think promotion and relegation works against the ESL in developing a strong competition. The team near the bottom vary in quality a lot from year to year as a result, and the lack of stability would effect the caliber of players in the squad. The best players want to play in the highest tier comp, so like in the EPL, I'll bet any player signed by a team that gets promoted has an "out clause" in their contract in case of relegation by their club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts