What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

The_Wookie

Bench
Crowds and members are great and we`ll narrow the gap in them with our new stadiums. Any way mate if you want to spruik the f-ball you`re on the wrong thread. I`m going over to the English Rugby League forum now, they`re discussing the Rugby League World Cup, it`s going to be huge and apparently the following one in France received a big boost today.
I think I can hear your cat calling, you better go give him a feed. ;);) He sounds lonely.

Not here to spruik AFL. Was genuinely after any actual meaningful data that led you to a conclusion. But ill move on

My cats fine. She thanks you for not assuming her gender lol.

The_Wookie

Bench
Because I buggered up my math. It was over 700000. That’s one of the biggest figures I’ve seen for 3 nrl matches on a Saturday. If you add in kayo the figure would be over 1.2 million. Mea culpa.

Saturday Foxgroup ratings 2022

Round 1 - 1.31m
Round 2 - 1.073m
Round 3 - 1.410m
Round 4 - 1.202m
Round 5 - 1.329m
Round 6 - 1.228m
Round 7 - 1.002m (2 matches)
Round 8 - 1.324m (before consolidation)

Wb1234

Referee

over 1,000,000 viewers for 3 games pre kayo. Just proves the resilience of the game despite all of the so called advantages our main opponent has over so many years.
The afl has spent literally tens of millions attempting to run our game over in its heartlands yet we are still the game of choice for viewers.
They have literally run out of new markets to permeate and we have hardly begun.
This war has a long long way to go.
Try hundreds of millions

the afl isn’t even bothered the the tv ratings for the swans and lions are down over 50 percent from their high. Since they are so desperate to grow into rugby league area this would show there’s a lot of pushback from fans about watching their sport long term

the storm with very little promotion and support generally get better tv ratings in Melbourne than the swans or lions get in their home markets

The_Wookie

Bench
the storm with very little promotion and support generally get better tv ratings in Melbourne than the swans or lions get in their home markets

While its possible, theres a distinct lack of data to support that given we dont know the breakdown of Fox ratings and there just arent enough matches on in Melbourne on FTA for the Storm to be able to draw that conclusion in any meaningful way.

Menaiduck

Juniors
Saturday Foxgroup ratings 2022

Round 1 - 1.31m
Round 2 - 1.073m
Round 3 - 1.410m
Round 4 - 1.202m
Round 5 - 1.329m
Round 6 - 1.228m
Round 7 - 1.002m (2 matches)
Round 8 - 1.324m (before consolidation)
I’m leaving this to you from now on. I got distracted by the insiders and my math turned to trash. Multi tasking ain’t my thing.

The_Wookie

Bench
NRL Saturday (to Round 7)
19 matches​
8.269m total​
435,000 match ave​
435,000 Fox Group ave​
AFL Saturday (to Round 6)
20 matches​
472,000 match ave​
9.445m total​
286,000 Fox Group ave​
339,000 FTA Ave​

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Because I buggered up my math. It was over 700000. That’s one of the biggest figures I’ve seen for 3 nrl matches on a Saturday. If you add in kayo the figure would be over 1.2 million. Mea culpa.
Wooki is quoting the ratio between Foxtel STB and Kayo as being the same for both codes. I think he is being a bit generous for f-ball.
During last year`s finals series I think the f-ball streaming was only about 2/3rd`s of the NRL`s, I can`t see why it would be different now, in fact earlier in the year in one NRL game the ratio was one-to-one STB/Kayo.
So yeah those Kayo figures could put last nights total viewers well over 1.2m, actually closer to 1.3m.

ash the bash

Juniors
Can we give the code warz stuff a rest.. Having a strong competitor is good for both codes. Really who cares if AFL is bigger at the end of day NRL should measure itself with NRL's past performance. There is a lot of upside to the NRL so we are heading in the right direction. :)

Menaiduck

Juniors
Can we give the code warz stuff a rest.. Having a strong competitor is good for both codes. Really who cares if AFL is bigger at the end of day NRL should measure itself with NRL's past performance. There is a lot of upside to the NRL so we are heading in the right direction. :)
Can’t argue with that!

ash the bash

Juniors
Can’t argue with that!
True, i mean the Wookie maybe from an AFL background but I don't see anyone else taking the time and effort to post these details. It should be appreciated.

I think RL has learned a lot from the AFL and will close the gap as time goes on. Will it ever be bigger than AFL ? Who cares, I do think IMO it has more growth left in it than AFL. As long as union is down in the dumps, which is the one code that actively has tried killing RL where it can.

Menaiduck

Juniors
True, i mean the Wookie maybe from an AFL background but I don't see anyone else taking the time and effort to post these details. It should be appreciated.

I think RL has learned a lot from the AFL and will close the gap as time goes on. Will it ever be bigger than AFL ? Who cares, I do think IMO it has more growth left in it than AFL. As long as union is down in the dumps, which is the one code that actively has tried killing RL where it can.
That’s why I’m always happy for afl to take the initial risk on many of these things. In the long run it’s about learning and adapting. We’ve got a great sport and should have confidence in it.

The_Wookie

Bench
Wooki is quoting the ratio between Foxtel STB and Kayo as being the same for both codes. I think he is being a bit generous for f-ball.
During last year`s finals series I think the f-ball streaming was only about 2/3rd`s of the NRL`s, I can`t see why it would be different now, in fact earlier in the year in one NRL game the ratio was one-to-one STB/Kayo.

Im not being generous with anything, its what the data shows for this season. Whatever last year may have shown, In Round 1 it was reported AFL Kayo ratings were up 47% on last season, NRL Kayo ratings up 14% - that lead to an AFL ratio of 0.83, and a NRL ratio of 0.84. This was updated two weeks ago to reflect both having an average ratio of 0.89 to STB as the season progressed.

Using figures reported by TV BlackBox on April 19

Fox Group Ave​
Fox STB ave​
Kayo​
Kayo: Fox Ratio​
AFL​
Round 1-5​
313000​
166000​
147000​
0.885542168674699​
NRL​
Round 1-6​
425000​
225000​
200000​
0.888888888888889​

Last edited:

Menaiduck

Juniors
Im not being generous with anything, its what the data shows for this season. Whatever last year may have shown, In Round 1 it was reported AFL Kayo ratings were up 47% on last season, NRL Kayo ratings up 14% - that lead to an AFL ratio of 0.83, and a NRL ratio of 0.84. This was updated two weeks ago to reflect both having an average ratio of 0.89 to STB as the season progressed.
As far as I’m concerned you just provide us with verified numbers from reliable sources in a viewing friendly manner. Whatever code you follow doesn’t matter as facts are facts. We are lucky you do it.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I don`t think so, as long as I`m having f-ball drivel shoved in my face I`ll keep resisting it until it goes back to what it originally was, a funny little game played in the outposts of Australia.
As long as union is down in the dumps, which is the one code that actively has tried killing RL where it can.
I doesn`t get enough attention this remark, League has been fighting a battle on two fronts for a long time and union has always been a drag on our progress. I sometimes wonder what the difference it would make if the whole of union in this country just came over to League and the up-market sponsors and followers with it. The result could be huge.

Menaiduck

Juniors
By the way I’m not sure what your relationship status is Wookie but watch out for those Launceston girls. I married one!

ash the bash

Juniors
I doesn`t get enough attention this remark, League has been fighting a battle on two fronts for a long time and union has always been a drag on our progress. I sometimes wonder what the difference it would make if the whole of union in this country just came over to League and the up-market sponsors and followers with it. The result could be huge.
I don't think that will ever happen, too many bitter old boys who need to look down on League as a status symbol. It's just the way it is and one of the reasons why union will always survive in Australia, due to its white collar support/background. You only need to look at some of the private school's that still don't include RL, reason being the old boys will loose their minds.

On an interesting note, at work we deal with a lot of High net income (HNI) clients. Had a couple last week both stockbrokers one based in North Bondi other in Vaucluse. Been a few years since I seen them with this covid, anyhow so they come up and asked where they could watch the footy. "Well the rugby is on channel 34", it turns out they were asking about league. Seems their kids who are all in private schools watch league. When I first met these clients 12 years ago you would be lucky to get them mention league. A very small sample size I know but maybe in time..... They travel half way across the world to a resort in the Maldives and want to know where they can watch league. Funny..