What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

The_Wookie

Bench
You know I don’t totally agree with this. Melbourne give our game enormous brand recognition. Good crowds, excellent ratings, excellent culture imho, and a foothold in an important market. I support a Perth team because the state is going to grow population and wealth wise exponentially. Adelaide not for a decade. NZ2 yes as well as PNG. Brisbane whatever.

Storm have even managed to get themselves onto Fox's AFL programming, Cam Smith has appeared multiple times on AFL 360 over the years.

The_Wookie

Bench
I posted an article to that effect somewhere else. It seems to be a slightly volatile changing environment as FTA struggles a bit compared to the past. A more direct marketing approach?

its simple integration, Nine have effectively taken over WIN marketing, without having to formally takeover WIN itself, which as they say makes their advertising sales department a one stop shop, particularly when they can include Stan.

This has been in the works for years, but became somewhat more pressing when Seven proceeded with a full takeover of Prime.

Pneuma

First Grade
A client wont assume anything. They'll buy specific airtime in specific markets or national rollout across metro/regional markets depending on arrangement.

Sydney ads arent always shown in regional areas unless they are part of the agreement between Nine and WIN for simultaenous broadcasting, most advertisements will be market dependent. Nine will have partners for its NRL broadcasts which get shown with the programming, but most ads in regional areas will be local businesses or companies that have specifically bought regional advertising, like car yards, lawyers, recreational facilities, bakeries and the like.

Under the 2021 affiliation agreement, WIN will pay an affiliation fee of around 50% of its regional advertising revenue to Nine and provide airtime to Nine to allow promotion of Nine’s assets across WIN’s television and radio network.

Nine said it would integrate WIN Television’s sales team into Nine’s in an effort to give advertising partners one point of contact to buy Nine’s TV audiences across metro and regional Australia as the media company further advances its “total television” strategy.
By the way mate the ALP have started a ‘no Stadium’ bumper sticker campaign down here in Tassie and there is a committee taking submissions in relation to it. I’m neither here or there about it to be honest and I think the afl is as well lol! The debate itself has almost no traction as generally speaking nobody really cares unless they are a massive afl fan or an ALP acolyte or green.

Wb1234

Referee
Good God, is Home and Away still going?

Back in the day, UK connoisseurs of Aussie crud were sad to see the demise of Prisoner Cell Block H. Nowadays there's AFLW to fill the void .
Everybody needs good

….

Neighbours

….

Cmon I remember when Kylie Minogue was as much of a star in England as Rick astley

come to think of it wham spandeau ballet

they were essential

Wb1234

Referee
Storm have even managed to get themselves onto Fox's AFL programming, Cam Smith has appeared multiple times on AFL 360 over the years.
its simple integration, Nine have effectively taken over WIN marketing, without having to formally takeover WIN itself, which as they say makes their advertising sales department a one stop shop, particularly when they can include Stan.
This has been in the works for years, but became somewhat more pressing when Seven proceeded with a full takeover of Prime.
Wooks do you have any breakdown of avg tv audience in Melbourne for the storm on both fox / kayo and nine

do nine cover storm games on the main channel (which i guess not) or a secondary channel and is it live into Melbourne ?

so if the storm are on Thursday night football on nine in Sydney and Brisbane does Melbourne get the game too on a secondary channel on nine or is it only fox coverage

The_Wookie

Bench
Wooks do you have any breakdown of avg tv audience in Melbourne for the storm on both fox / kayo and nine

Nine we can do. Fox we have only been able to do city by city for 2017 only. Kayo, not at all.

do nine cover storm games on the main channel (which i guess not) or a secondary channel and is it live into Melbourne ?

There are rare games on Nine main.

so if the storm are on Thursday night football on nine in Sydney and Brisbane does Melbourne get the game too on a secondary channel on nine or is it only fox coverage

All NRL games on FTA are national, they havent run separate markets since i think 2012 when the Brisbane and Sydney games on Friday nights used to be swapped between Live and Delay - Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth are generally on secondary channels with limited excceptions.

Pneuma

First Grade

I can answer some of that.
There is no capital city breakdown of any nrl matches available across all platforms available publicly. There is just guess work.
All storm games on nine are shown on either nine or a secondary channel in Melbourne. And it is live.
Here in Tassie I get whatever Melbourne gets. And like most sane people I watch all games on Fox Sports.
Wookie will know more but that’s my understanding about capital City breakdowns.

Pneuma

First Grade
Nine we can do. Fox we have only been able to do city by city for 2017 only. Kayo, not at all.

All NRL games on FTA are national, they havent run separate markets since i think 2012 when the Brisbane and Sydney games on Friday nights used to be swapped between Live and Delay - Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth are generally on secondary channels with limited excceptions.
I was close lol

Wb1234

Referee
I can answer some of that.
There is no capital city breakdown of any nrl matches available across all platforms available publicly. There is just guess work.
All storm games on nine are shown on either nine or a secondary channel in Melbourne. And it is live.
Here in Tassie I get whatever Melbourne gets. And like most sane people I watch all games on Fox Sports.
Wookie will know more but that’s my understanding about capital City breakdowns.
Mine do realise capital breakdowns or they used too

so what does a storm game get in Melbourne and how does it compare with an afl game on fta

what were the pay tv figures in 2017

is it a similar comparison to the swans vs nrl in Sydney on fta

Pneuma

First Grade
Ok I’m going to guess and say the storm would get 50 to 80k tops whilst an afl game would avg 250 to 300k
It’s not that simple. It depends on the time of the games.
Generally the afl outrates us on fta in metro markets on Thursday and Friday nights. Our Sunday game usually rates well by comparison. Outside that we don’t have fta games except at the end of the season on Saturday nights.
the way the comps are structured doesn’t allow much useful comparison except for overall numbers at the end of the season.
The afl will often have two games in the same time slot on fox so that doesn’t help their overall ratings. To sum it up we dominate fox/kayo they dominate metro and we have an advantage in regionals.
Fact is in 2023 we will not know how many people watch either code in metro markets unless something changes.

A client wont assume anything. They'll buy specific airtime in specific markets or national rollout across metro/regional markets depending on arrangement.

Sydney ads arent always shown in regional areas unless they are part of the agreement between Nine and WIN for simultaenous broadcasting, most advertisements will be market dependent. Nine will have partners for its NRL broadcasts which get shown with the programming, but most ads in regional areas will be local businesses or companies that have specifically bought regional advertising, like car yards, lawyers, recreational facilities, bakeries and the like.
The ads I see on Nine's RL coverage are for big multinational or major Australian brands (motor vehicles, fast food, retail, etc). Surely all these will fall into the "simultaneous" category?

Cmon I remember when Kylie Minogue was as much of a star in England as Rick astley
In the early 90s you couldn't move for Aussie soap actors plugging their new single. Craig McLachlan doing a Bo Diddley song was the final straw.

My favourite Aussie from that time was the singer in the Divinyls. Most intriguing. Sadly no longer with us.

come to think of it wham spandeau ballet

they were essential
Essential to what?

Wb1234

Referee
In the early 90s you couldn't move for Aussie soap actors plugging their new single. Craig McLachlan doing a Bo Diddley song was the final straw.

My favourite Aussie from that time was the singer in the Divinyls. Most intriguing. Sadly no longer with us.

Essential to what?
Yeh she has a big personality

The_Wookie

Bench
Ok I’m going to guess and say the storm would get 50 to 80k tops whilst an afl game would avg 250 to 300k

On FTA in Melbourne

In Melbourne, the NRL averaged 14,000 on Nine/Gem through the season with the top rating game being round 22s Panthers/Storm with 60,000. In all the secondary NRL cities, the NRL averaged a combined 29,000 for the season with #1 being the Panthers/Storm in R19 averaging 81,000

All Storm FTA Ratings in Melbourne this year

CodeRoundDateDayTimeHomeAwayVenueMelbourne
NRL2211-AugThu1950PenrithMelbourneBluebet Stadium60,000
NRL2426-AugFri1955MelbourneSydneyAami Park51,000
NRL1226-MayThu1950MelbourneManlyAami Park46,000
NRL1630-JunThu1950ManlyMelbourne4Pines Park37,000
NRL251-SepThu1950ParramattaMelbourneCommbank Stadium32,000
NRL2319-AugFri1955BrisbaneMelbourneSuncorp Stadium31,000
NRL1517-JunFri1955MelbourneBrisbaneAami Park29,000
NRL217-MarThu2005MelbourneSouth SydneyAami Park26,000
NRL1014-MaySat1945MelbournePenrithSuncorp Stadium25,000
NRL43-AprSun1605MelbourneCanterburyAami Park20,000
NRL178-JulFri1955NewcastleSouth SydneyMcDonald Jones17,000
NRL1817-JulSun1,605MelbourneCanberraAami Park16,000
NRL1119-MayThu1950NewcastleBrisbaneMcDonald Jones13,000
Average31,000

In Sydney, the citys AFL FTA average was 28,000 per game. Matches involving the Swans averaging 51,000 per game on 7/7mate, while the Giants again struggled for audience, pulling in 24,000 viewers per game on FTA.

In Brisbane, the city average for the AFL season on FTA was just 27,000. Matches involving Brisbane averaged 43,000, while the Suns averaged 23,000 per game

In Melbourne, the city average for 2022 was 223,000 - the top 10 games rated 300k or higher. 5 clubs – Dees, Pies, Dogs, Blues and Tigers beat the 223k average mark. The average is bought down by North Melbournes lone Melbourne broadcast game audience of 83,000. North were the lowest rating team of the season, but hardly any FTA.

The_Wookie

Bench
The ads I see on Nine's RL coverage are for big multinational or major Australian brands (motor vehicles, fast food, retail, etc). Surely all these will fall into the "simultaneous" category?

negotiated separately until recently - but yes as said there are some national broadcast partners for the NRL

Wb1234

Referee
On FTA in Melbourne

In Melbourne, the NRL averaged 14,000 on Nine/Gem through the season with the top rating game being round 22s Panthers/Storm with 60,000. In all the secondary NRL cities, the NRL averaged a combined 29,000 for the season with #1 being the Panthers/Storm in R19 averaging 81,000

Average31,000

In Sydney, the citys AFL FTA average was 28,000 per game. Matches involving the Swans averaging 51,000 per game on 7/7mate, while the Giants again struggled for audience, pulling in 24,000 viewers per game on FTA.

In Brisbane, the city average for the AFL season on FTA was just 27,000. Matches involving Brisbane averaged 43,000, while the Suns averaged 23,000 per game

In Melbourne, the city average for 2022 was 223,000 - the top 10 games rated 300k or higher. 5 clubs – Dees, Pies, Dogs, Blues and Tigers beat the 223k average mark. The average is bought down by North Melbournes lone Melbourne broadcast game audience of 83,000. North were the lowest rating team of the season, but hardly any FTA.

Thanks

Pneuma

First Grade
On FTA in Melbourne

Average31,000

That article really is excellent. The viewing hours differential really must make a difference to the potential for each game to negotiate with networks. I’m strongly against moving to quarters though. Kills the games momentum.