What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 PF Sat - Penrith 32-12 South Sydney @ Accor

Finals Week 3: Penrith v South Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Well yes that too but the fact that so many of these talented players weren't lured away in time is a failure on the other teams.

The point of the cap is to ensure no one team has too much talent for too long. If one team is doing a great job in development, that should be balanced out by other teams being good enough in recruitment to get a fair share of that talent.
Agreed, the NRL doesn’t disincentivise development enough.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Agreed, the NRL doesn’t disincentivise development enough.
lol of course it is always good to get a head start on finding players. I am not saying the Panthers can't have that. Well run teams will consistently finish in the top half of the comp. But they shouldn't be 2 games from a back to back premiership with no end in sight as the pipeline is as strong as ever.

Enough of the talent should be picked up by other teams to at least see them drift to a lowly 5th or 8th in between the premiership years

Munky

Coach
lol of course it is always good to get a head start on finding players. I am not saying the Panthers can't have that. Well run teams will consistently finish in the top half of the comp. But they shouldn't be 2 games from a back to back premiership with no end in sight as the pipeline is as strong as ever.

Enough of the talent should be picked up by other teams to at least see them drift to a lowly 5th or 8th in between the premiership years

Souths are in their fifth straight prelim and you're whinging about a team in their third?

yobbo84

First Grade
Anyway, on the game.

I think the pundits are right on this one. Expecting a high risk/high reward sort of game from us. Lots of shifting it around early and in our own half.

If it comes off, we'll win. If it doesn't, we'll probably lose by 20 plus.

If we try and go set-for-set with the Panthers, we'll keep it close but lose because they're better than everyone at that.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Smug Panther

First Grade
The only position on the field where souths come close to us is 5/8 and we all know Cody chokes when it matters

mxlegend99

Referee

There's plenty of players who were in the Penrith junior system floating around other clubs. The problem is the players development basically stops and the guys never become elite.

Not much incentive for clubs to poach players when they don't kick on. Likewise players can hang around for a year or two in a successful system and improve their worth.

2020 Panthers lost Mansour, Whare, Tamou, Tetevano, Hetherington

2021 Panthers lost Burton, Momirovski, Capewell, May and Naden

2022 Panthers are losing Koroisau and Kikau

Panthers aren't keeping together a successful squad for cheap. They're having to pay big money to keep players. They've also picked up cheap rejects from other clubs and gotten great value out of them.

Apey

Staff member
Ah yes, the Joseph Sualii strategy. How did that work out for you guys? Plucked him out of Glenmore Park straight off his mothers tit into the South’s system. Good plan.

@AlwaysGreen has nailed it. It amazes me how many people don’t understand the role of the salary cap.

You realise that all Penrith juniors aren’t born under the eastern stand at Penrith Park? Edwards, Yeo, Burton, Martin, Fisher-Harris were all bought in from other areas and developed here. Every other club could have picked them up.

Everyone laughs at the Gus 5 year plan, the 5 year part was a media beat up, but he screamed from the hilltops what the plan was. Maybe other clubs should adopt a similar strategy and we would have a competition brimming with talent, more competitive games and more chance of expansion. But no, let’s just raid Penrith…

it’s not even like we invented it. The Storm have been masters of it for 20 years. The Roosters are also great at it. Even South’s do a pretty good job. Other clubs need to just follow a similar formula & get good at development:
Didn't stop Gus having a sook on Twitter when Melbourne signed Xavier Coates, y'know one of those super rare times they sign an established player. God, Gus is a punish these days.

GongPanther

Referee

I know what you mean. In fact, Souths are playing in their 5 straight prelim, AND they might be playing in their second straight grand final. See where you are contradicting yourself?

Galeforce

Bench

I do not understand why you are going on about this point..........

First - developing and keeping a good team together is what fans expect of their clubs management. Nothing worse than getting developing a good team and then immediately losing the talent after tasting success. Real fans hate this.
Of course there is $$ pressure , however key talent are usually signed for more than 1 year ..........so back to back should not mean a failure of salary cap.

Second - fans talk about loyalty, even though understand $$ can change a players life. Most players will take a little less to stay with a team if they are happy.

Third - back to back premierships should be objective of all successful clubs .

Fourth - you miss the most important point. Panthers have a good team , however Souths are better and will get them on Saturday. 2022 is year of the Rabbit and I expect them to go back to back for 2023.

footy75

Bench
yeah I can't wait for this game.

Penrith have been the best team all year but Souths have timed their run to perfection.

soc123_au

Staff member
Fourth - you miss the most important point. Panthers have a good team , however Souths are better and will get them on Saturday. 2022 is year of the Rabbit and I expect them to go back to back for 2023.
7th is the new 1st. Haw Haw Haw.

soc123_au

Staff member
Didn't stop Gus having a sook on Twitter when Melbourne signed Xavier Coates, y'know one of those super rare times they sign an established player. God, Gus is a punish these days.
Gus is going a bit senile. I hate the Storm as much as the next man, but whinging about them poaching is a bit out there.

Galeforce

Bench
Well yes, if key Souths players didn't miss games they would have easily won the minor premiership.

Just like how if Cleary didn't miss ten games Penrith wouldn't have finished so low on the ladder.

Oh wait.
Haw Haw Haw , whose talking about winning the minor premiership IFS? not me.

Minor premiership is nice , $100k drop in the bucket, however who remembers the Minor premiers after the GF .
Souths had a great side and won the minor premiership in 1989 , who talks about that?

I am talking about the Premiership 2022 , no excuses. Expect the win on Saturday ,then Souths can focus in the real game.

soc123_au

Staff member
Haw Haw Haw , whose talking about winning the minor premiership IFS? not me.

Minor premiership is nice , $100k drop in the bucket, however who remembers the Minor premiers after the GF .
Souths had a great side and won the minor premiership in 1989 , who talks about that?

I am talking about the Premiership 2022 , no excuses. Expect the win on Saturday ,then Souths can focus in the real game.
You said Souths were the better team. 1st vs 7th, 1 win in the last 9 attempts against us, 0 and 5 with SuperTrell stinking it up at the back, so clearly this isn't the case.

If you win on Saturday night you might have an argument, but until then you aren't the best anything.

I guess I'll concede that come Sunday you will be focusing on the real game. We all know the Souffs real GF is the Charity Shield.

Ive never experienced smug as thick and pristine as this.

Hospitals are putting extra beds in the ICUs for Souths fans.

As a neutral, I just want to see Latrell injured. Justice for his hit on Manu.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Ive never experienced smug as thick and pristine as this.

Hospitals are putting extra beds in the ICUs for Souths fans.

As a neutral, I just want to see Latrell injured. Justice for his hit on Manu.
I don’t want to see any player injured. Accidents happen in a split second. I can’t stand JWH he’s done grubby shit to our players over the years that have caused injury but do I want to see him injured no I don’t wish injury on any player.

Latest posts