What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

callmack1

Staff member
NRL stars given relaxed Covid-19 protocols: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/player...-allowed/84d52f82-b38d-41f3-9037-6adc7a37eee5

From Zero Tackle,

Stars aligning for three-pronged Souths reunion

South Sydney champion Sam Burgess has claimed that an on-field reunion involving himself, Benji Marshall and Greg Inglis was currently in the works.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, the 2014 Clive Churchill medallist revealed that he had held conversations with Marshall about getting him to pull the boots on for NSW Country outfit Orara Valley this season.

While Burgess has signed on with the regional side in a head coaching capacity, the English international suggested that his own return to the playing field could be on the cards.
“I want to see if I can play a few games if I can get a clearance,” Burgess said.

“I’m contemplating playing. It would be great."

“I’d like to play a few games and I’m hoping Benji might join me."

Fresh off calling time on his first-grade career following Souths' narrow grand final defeat last season, Marshall is currently expected to take on a punditry role with Fox Sports, as well as lend a hand with his beloved Wests Tigers in an off-field capacity.

Still, Burgess claimed he had already reached out to the ex-Kiwi captain about lining up for his club based in Coramba.

“It could be great for the competition and country rugby league, which certainly needs some rejuvenation and some excitement,” the 33-year-old commented.

“Benji would also be a great asset for any young kid who is playing. Any young half that is pretty tidy would benefit from Benji Marshall being around.

“I have spoken to him about playing a few games and he did show some excitement.

“I don’t want to pressure him to play because I know he is busy with his commitments and with his family. But it would be great for the competition up here.”

While the prospect of Marshall and Burgess waxing lyrically is sure to have whet appetites on the state's mid-north coast, further stars may align for a genuine clash of the titans.

In late October of last year, it was announced that Inglis had agreed to coach the Macksville Sea Eagles - a direct Group 2 rival of Burgess' Axemen.

Although Burgess was unsure whether his long-term teammate would slip on jersey or not, the mere fact that the 39-time Kangaroo will be pulling the strings from the sidelines will be enough to ensure a healthy crowd at either Allan Gillett Oval or the Coramba Sports Ground this winter.

The Group 2 competition draw for the 2022 season is yet to be released.

Rabbits20

Immortal
NRL All Stars: Shaquai Mitchell on cusp of securing South Sydney contract
The Shaquai Mitchell story is far from over - with the comeback story about to take another enormous step after a barnstorming All Stars performance.
David Riccio

February 13, 2022 - 7:26AM

On a night more suited for ducks, we didn’t get to see the offload or the type of skill once rated better than his younger brother Latrell.
But the dream is far from over for the Bunnies big show, Shaquai Mitchell.

In fact, another crucial chapter is about to be written in every rugby league fan’s favourite feel-good story.

No less than 24-hours after the biggest game of his life in the jersey of the NRL Indigenous All Stars, the 25-year-old - who already has an almighty story to tell - will board a flight to Cairns for a career-defining NRL trial match with South Sydney.

If ‘Shaq’ proves his worth in the preseason hit-out against the Cowboys next Saturday night, his current $1,000-a-week train-and-trial contract with the Rabbitohs could quickly develop into something more concrete.

An NRL contract that became his obsession and driving force to get out the NSW Cup, get fit and drop 25kg, from his once 167kg frame.

The Rabbitohs have strategically avoided spending the money they had set aside for Anthony Milford.

In wet and slippery conditions, tough for the big boys at any time, let alone footy in February, Mitchell used his limited time on the field to carry the footy with purpose as a middle-forward.

His eight hit-ups amounted to 56-metres.

By comparison, his much more experienced teammate Ryan James, picked-up 59-metres for the match, while Josh Kerr and Jamayne Taunoa Brown ran for 31-metres and 35-metres respectively.

But more importantly, Shaq finished without error.

Shaq was once in the same Roosters SG Ball premiership-winning team in 2014 as his brother Mitchell.

However, Shaq was eventually cut from the Sydney Roosters system.

Battling anxiety and depression, it appeared his shot at making an NRL squad was over.

He played NSW Cup last year and with a decision to have one more crack at making first grade he shed 25 kilos to earn the train and trial contract with the Rabbitohs.

Mitchell, who joined the Indigenous week-long training camp, described his brother’s journey as inspirational.

“He was a great player coming through the system and opportunities arose when he was playing reps and then a thing or two didn’t happen, like they do,’’ Mitchell told Fox Sports last night.

“Things fall in your path and you have obstacles for him to overcome.

“For him to what he had to do and keep his footy dream is very inspirational.

“Not only for myself and my family, but for himself too to give himself a bit of hope and just to know that he can play this game.”

Shaq’s story so far is a beauty.

It’s not over yet.

handyman2190

Bench
Rumour of Haas to Roosters 2023 on someone find me a vomit bag!
Other teams push hard,work behind the scenes to get/poach better players,while we sit on our arses expecting quality to drop in our lap,we let suali walk because it was too hard,we could have given him his contract then worked on him,mentoring him into wanting to stay,instead we let the rorters free rein to work on him. We have no recruitment people noone to convince players that we can make them better,then we have that 1 year 30year old BS policy, we didnt need to lose gagai but we have this dilusional view that players will stay for less. Those days are gone, weve brought up the cream of our juniors to take positions they are not ready for, and our depth is nil,non existent, and we expect 22?
Wake up!! Im sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, we wont make the 8 this year, we will be lucky, if we dont have many injurys, to make the top 12. I hope im misguided and wrong,but our juniors and wmns will be lucky to win 1 game,same as the nsw cup,weve not built up a team that ran last.

callmack1

Staff member