What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

K_Tigers12

Juniors
Craig Gower coached Peninsula Seagulls in Sydney Shield in their last season so it is likely he would be looking at a coaching position, however, he would not be the first 43 year old to play at this level - Hutch Maiva, Tere Glassie & Mick Hawkins. As a player, he has not played NRL since 2013 so my guess is he would be worth 2 points but now that there are about 10,000 different categories in the new points system, it is anyone's guess.
Sorry my bad I was meant to say David Gower, ex eels player.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Month and a half from the usual kickoff to the season and not a trace of any traction from NSWRL in regards to the comp draw, teams, structure, or anything. Same with the Illawarra Cup. Newcastle's cup has been relegated to that awful playleague site. Wow.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Still zero from the NSWRL. I should know better than to expect anything from them given their abhorrent treatment of these competitions for years.

Broncos93

Juniors
A draft copy of the draw sent to clubs suggests season kick off will be on the 19th of March, a week after NRL, NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg.

Top five this season instead of top eight.

It's a shorter season, only 18 rounds (as opposed to 24 for Cup and Flegg) with a Grand Final to be held on the 3rd or 4th of September.

3 weekends off (including one for rep round) plus two weekends left free (I assume for Covid/rain affected games).

President Cup semi-finals will be held two weeks after the GF.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigers1986

Juniors
Right so 50 days until the supposed start of the competitions and nothing concrete provided. Illawarra Cup hasn't had a mention since the article about Cronulla & Helensburgh joining surfaced back in November.

TigerDen

Juniors
See the NSWRL have announced there digital coverage of games in 2022. No mention of any Massey games being covered but I'm sure the Silktails will get a run at some stage.

Butts74

Juniors
Is the Sydney shield draw being delayed cause of Cabramatta pulling out ? I have heard a source about this but not a 100% sure.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I see the Illawarra draw has also been delayed. I wonder if Cabra have pulled out if NSW are talking to Cronulla Carringbah about coming backin SS ?

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Struggling to get enough teams I assume
There is a predicament that clubs are not having the money they once had due to covid. Cabra, Guilford and ASquith are all smaller licenced clubs and need time to recover.
Not sure about Guilford but I have heard both Asquith hope to return to SS and RM and eventually. it seems Cabra was as well.

I am a big believer that SS should stay and be open age. People need to realise that NRL (first grade) is not all there is to RL. SS and RM are something worth aspiring to and it sure beats playing in some of the A grade comps

rightleftin

Juniors
There is a predicament that clubs are not having the money they once had due to covid. Cabra, Guilford and ASquith are all smaller licenced clubs and need time to recover.
Not sure about Guilford but I have heard both Asquith hope to return to SS and RM and eventually. it seems Cabra was as well.

I am a big believer that SS should stay and be open age. People need to realise that NRL (first grade) is not all there is to RL. SS and RM are something worth aspiring to and it sure beats playing in some of the A grade comps
Having 9 teams in each grade makes it much easier to set up a draw where some teams are RM only, some SS only and others have both grades, 9 in RM and 8 in SS creates a nightmare.

Having 9 teams in each grade makes it much easier to set up a draw where some teams are RM only, some SS only and others have both grades, 9 in RM and 8 in SS creates a nightmare.
Only two rounds for RMC and 2 byes -18 Weeks and then finals - 8 teams SS will that be two rounds also and 4 byes for 18 weeks