What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 starting 17? and BAs tenure

eels_fan

First Grade
I think we have 6-8 weeks to decide who will be our coach in 2023 at a minimum. We know we have BA for 22, but with 14 players coming off it will be impossible to recruit or retain without any surety on who the coach will be. The 3 spine players will all be looking for 3 year deals if not 4 and won’t be signing without knowing who the coach is for at least half their deal. The managers will use that as leverage for bigger $$.

So the way I see it either BA gets a 1 year extension for 2023, or we hire a new coach now to start in 23 and announce it in the next 1-2 months

IFR33K

Coach
Brown hasn’t shown enough to be a half. Either he picks up his game or we need a new half. Or Gutho to 6 and we need a new 1.

Dylan could be a gun 1 but not sure it’ll happen.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think we are heading in right direction. It is good to say we need a better fullback. But they have to be available and want to come. Plus meet our budget.
Very easy for clubs at bottom to sack half the squad and pay big bucks. But once you've built your side and it is very competitive which ours is then it's far more difficult.
So we could of rolled dice. Not signed Gutherson and went for Manu and thrown 1 mill. He may of killed it or flopped at fullback. He may not of wanted to come. So in the ned we may of ended up with W.Smith as our fullback and 600k left in cap wondering what other areas we need to spend on to improve.
Then that would mean most likely moving a player on and chipping in for his contract to play elsewhere. This is where problems start.

The situation we are in now means we have a great core. Our safest and most likely additions are cheapies. I'd prefer at this stage your Cartwright style. Guys looking for a 2nd or 3rd chance with talent and a high ceiling. Or young promising guys who perhaps have had a few injuries. Like Roache( A lot of time don't work out) But if did can be a difference maker. Over journeymen who won't improve us now or get us to another level.

Bar that our only other ways to improve is juniors bursting into the side like Dunster and Penisini.

This keeps our cap in check and minimal risk. It's exactly how the Storm do it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
1. Gutherson
2. Russell
3. Penisini
4. Blake
5. Dunster
6. Brown
7. Moses
8. Campbell-Gillard
9. Mahoney
10. Paulo
11. Niukore
12. Matterson
13. Stone

14. Smith
15. Brown
16. Kaufusi
17. Lane

Eelementary

Post Whore
My reasoning for starting Stone, and having Browny off the bench - they play similar styles, and a fresh Browny running at tired defences may cause havoc.

Let Stoney cut people in half, then have Browny give him a spell.

The Eel

Juniors
I think this is probably right, but the question of course remains who you get to replace him. My concern is timing - if he moved along now I’d love to see us throw everything possible at getting Bennett for two years, the thought of him coaching Moses and Brown genuinely excites me. But given what’s been said about him heading to Brisbane to be involved in the new club up there, surely that could only be realistic (if it is at all) if we were to snap him up next year.

If BA sticks around for 2022 (and given the performance last night, it’s really difficult to see how you could be justified in moving him along right now), who do we get for 2023? Shaun Wane or Flanagan? Or make a real play for one of the few elite coaches that have already got a job?
Bennett is going back to Qld, so you can forget about him. I would like to see Flanagan, but I know I won't be popular saying that.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Yes, but my point is that we won't be playing any Finals between now and when Origin is on, so what will we learn more between now and then that we don't already know?

There is nothing really in the positive that can occur between today and Origin, that would change what we already know.

So whats your option??

Doing crap first 12 rounds BA is obviously out.
Or do we sack him now, or just tell him he wont be renewed, and risk season derailing?

Based on how we beat Melbourne twice and should have beaten Penrith twice, suggests we have turned the corner in big games

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
So whats your option??

Doing crap first 12 rounds BA is obviously out.
Or do we sack him now, or just tell him he wont be renewed, and risk season derailing?

Based on how we beat Melbourne twice and should have beaten Penrith twice, suggests we have turned the corner in big games
We either extend him for a year, or tell him 2022 is his last. There is no in between waiting.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Priority 1 is we need to recruit an NRL quality 9 that is part of, and gets game time each week. We also need an up and coming 9 as a third option. We found out last night just how critical that position is.

yy_cheng

Coach
Tbh i dont know where the perham love comes from. He hasnt looked anything other than a reserve grader from what ive seen ... russell has to be ahead of him surely
he's got good footwork with the only 1 game I saw.

But he could be dynamic, RTS like but that's wishful hope

Gazzamatta

Coach
Credit where its due. Before Elkin we looked very unfit at the back end of games. Now days we are up there with the fittest teams in the comp. Who was it that signed The AFL Guy? Was it the same bloke that signed Kidwell and Murphy?

Gazzamatta

Coach
I don't reckon BA will be extended regardless of where we finish 2022.
He will know within the next 3-4 months that 2022 will be his last year and that the club intend to let him finish the complete year.

Whether he does stay the whole year or not will be up to him. And it isn't a sacking. It is the end of a contract - not the same thing.
Given BAs salty nature recently he maybe already knows. It could have been a make week 3 final scenario or else.
Its also telling Kids and Murphs were re signed to coordinate with BAs current contract.
Additionally the media continue to talk up the BA/ MON relationship.
The board has spoken.

emjaycee

Coach
Priority 1 is we need to recruit an NRL quality 9 that is part of, and gets game time each week. We also need an up and coming 9 as a third option. We found out last night just how critical that position is.
If we need to provide Mahoney with game time coverage and reduce him to less than 80 mins, we need a 9 who can also play in the middle, such as B Smith, Havlilli, etc.

Gazzamatta

Coach
If we need to provide Mahoney with game time coverage and reduce him to less than 80 mins, we need a 9 who can also play in the middle, such as B Smith, Havlilli, etc.
My point exactly. Havilli is my first choice but there are always other options. Who would have suggested Lussick this time last year. Im also confident Joey could have easilly played 13.

Latest posts