What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Team

Jono078

Referee
Mann at 13 is the elephant in the room. Let’s see how that plays out - for O’Brien especially.
The thing that's shitting me is everyone is talking about the 13 and what role it plays in attack in the modern game. Has he completely forgotten that these top 13s are excellent defenders?

Mann is capable of defending but our middle will be weaker with the likes of Mann and Sisagi there.

Johns Magic

Referee
The thing that's shitting me is everyone is talking about the 13 and what role it plays in attack in the modern game. Has he completely forgotten that these top 13s are excellent defenders?
Not only are they great defenders - they can pass. I see none of the required ingredients.

Old dog

Juniors
I think over the next few weeks they will be swapped about a bit especially those with a chance to secure a spot

Knight Tales

Juniors
it is hard to see a successful season unless Joey has created a new fluency in attack. His success will be judged by him being able to turn our shortcomings into bonuses in other areas. Not to pretend a guy like Mann is somehow waiting to be unearthed as ball playing lock.

Johns Magic

Referee
Because he's wearing red? Don't think that's actually 100% indicator that he's in Reggie's. I see Jack Johns in blue and there's no way he's in our starting 17

I think there were more than 17 in blue, and Johns may be fringe 18th man material. Helps being a forward too.

Certainly none of the other red guys looked like potentially being in our starting 17. Lee, Tuala and Young were all in blue and that’s already too many wingers.

I’m not saying it’s gospel but if I was one of the players keen to start in Round 1 I’d certainly rather be in blue than red.

mozza91

Coach
Fitzy channeling Jake Trbojevic with the double thumbs up there.

Great that there’s so much competition for wing spots. Tuala would be pretty hard done by to lose his spot after how he finished last year and Hunt has never let us down.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Tuala did well there toward the end of last season and some of his finishes were superb but his shortcomings are his metres out of our red zone and his ability to contest the high ball. Hunt on the other hand didn’t get many opportunities in attack but was more solid in both the other departments. That being said I think Lee is better in all these areas if fully fit. Although isn’t it doubtful that he’ll be ready for round 1 anyway? So I imagine it’ll be a race between Hunt, Tuala and Young for the wing spots in round 1.

Johns Magic

Referee
Barnett is a better ball player than Mann

Yeah if O’Brien wants a Radley/Yeo type lock then Barnett is the obvious choice in our squad.

Picking Mann instead is pretty questionable to me - either judgement wise or more cynical.

Hopefully though we’re the idiots.

Jono078

Referee
I think we're looking more for a Dylan Walker than a Yeo/Radley/Murray.

Someone to come on and use their nimble feet to get around tired defenders.

Huge concerns though.. If we thought our attack looked clunky last year then imagine what it's like with Randall to Mann as first receiver/link-man.

Johns Magic

Referee
I think we're looking more for a Dylan Walker than a Yeo/Radley/Murray.

Someone to come on and use their nimble feet to get around tired defenders.

According to Toohey the idea is a playmaker, not a runner.

On paper I think we should have chased Tyrone Peachey. I don’t know if he’s a great character though.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
According to Toohey the idea is a playmaker, not a runner.

On paper I think we should have chased Tyrone Peachey. I don’t know if he’s a great character though.
Yeah I don’t mind Peachey the player but not sold on him as a good influence to have around the club. Also he had that spat with Barnett a couple of years ago so hard to imagine him coming here anyway.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Some will see it as a manoeuvre to convince the champion young fullback to reject a massive offer from Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins and stay in Newcastle.

The announcement will be made at a media conference this week as a result of regular skipper Jayden Brailey suffering what could be a season-ending Achilles injury.
We’re told Ponga was going to be appointed co-captain anyway because he has grown so impressively as a leader over the last 12 months.

Rugby league Immortal and Knights assistant coach Andrew Johns says the decision has nothing to do with the fact Ponga is weighing up his future options.
“It’s a no brainer – he’s the leader of our club,” Johns said.

“He’s our best player and he’s our most high profile player.

“He’s got that real presence about him whenever he walks into training.

“As a captain you don’t need to make Churchillion speeches – he leads and everyone follows him. I think it has to happen.”

Johns joined the Newcastle coaching staff late last year, replacing Anthony Seibold.

He was immediately impressed.

“I knew he was a special player – we all knew that – but he’s got that something about him that will make a great captain,” Johns said.

“It’s his personality, his demeanour, it’s everything. He’s got great values and he’s a cracking young bloke.”

Ponga is thriving from learning more about leadership under Johns and club legend Danny Buderus.

The 23-year-old has already played six seasons of NRL after starting at the Cowboys during the finals in 2016 as a rookie teenage winger.

Johns is hopeful Ponga will play out his career at the club.

“He loves the town and he loves the club,” Johns said, “His family love it too.