What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s 2022. What happened last year is irrelevant now other than a point scoring excercise

look at the games financials. It’s pretty clear they are in rude health
personally I find it quite interesting to see what tv managed to negotiate due to the covid period and how much it cost us.

Wb1234

Referee
personally I find it quite interesting to see what tv managed to negotiate due to the covid period and how much it cost us.
Why as a point scoring opportunity against vlandys

vlandys has himself admitted he got that wrong and if he had his time again he wouldn’t have stopped the nrl and wouldve made the broadcasters stick to the original contracts

Why as a point scoring opportunity against vlandys

vlandys has himself admitted he got that wrong and if he had his time again he wouldn’t have stopped the nrl and wouldve made the broadcasters stick to the original contracts
Out of curiosity, where did vlandys admit he got it wrong?

The_Wookie

Bench
Turn it up! Have you got a copy of the financial/cash amounts???? I Don't think so. My responce was a well reasoned account using YOUR links which go over what I said anyway. So with old and NEW contract announcement the individuals parties and joint ventures CAN AND SHOULD laid out the amounts AND other benefits one party is giving to another. That Tesltra (alone) only mentions upgrades- creates confusion and problems of accountability WHICH as in this example fall entirely on AFL/Telsra press release. Sorry to tell you when you don't mention anything about cash amount, this leaves open speculation (fully justified I'd say) what amount Telstra is actually providing.

Ideally yes, we'd have all the information wrapped up neatly in a bow and we could all have a calm reasoned discussion.

but they arent and your reasoning is that the absence of anything means nothing is being paid for - despite those rights always historically having a fee attached - and the extension that literally includes the same terms as the pandemic rights is on the same terms.

And when the same thing is done for the NRL you guys are taking it like its holy writ like we literally dont know what Fox are paying the NRL, and only a vague idea what Sky are - and thats literally a single source comment in a telegraph opinion column. Spare me.

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
Ideally yes, we'd have all the information wrapped up neatly in a bow and we could all have a calm reasoned discussion.

but they arent and your reasoning is that the absence of anything means nothing is being paid for - despite those rights always historically having a fee attached - and the extension that literally includes the same terms as the pandemic rights is on the same terms.

And when the same thing is done for the NRL you guys are taking it like its holy writ like we literally dont know what Fox are paying the NRL, and only a vague idea what Sky are - and thats literally a single source comment in a telegraph opinion column. Spare me.
That is true- yes we speculate, boost own own opinions OR assorted media 'facts' from reputational sources such as the Daily Terrorist- but that's blogging, anyway don't blow a fuse- put your feet up after your interstate move, so we leave it at that, whats more you could be right, because my reasoning is Telstra ( I once worked for them also) is Melbourne orientated and so don't treat shareholding funds as tightly as they should.

Wb1234

Referee
That is true- yes we speculate, boost own own opinions OR assorted media 'facts' from reputational sources such as the Daily Terrorist- but that's blogging, anyway don't blow a fuse- put your feet up after your interstate move, so we leave it at that, whats more you could be right, because my reasoning is Telstra ( I once worked for them also) is Melbourne orientated and so don't treat shareholding funds as tightly as they should.
That’s what it comes down to really is why Telstra are paying so much and what’s it’s for exactly. That seems to be the real difference between them

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s what it comes down to really is why Telstra are paying so much and what’s it’s for exactly. That seems to be the real difference between them
The press release for AFL made it pretty clear what Telstra is paying them for.
Not sure if Telstra pay NRL anything now other than naming rights sponsorship? There was no mention of them in the media deal releases.

The_Wookie

Bench

i worked for Telstra too back in the day. cant say i miss it.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

Warburton has cut costs aggressively at Seven since taking on the CEO role in 2019, and he told investors at a conference hosted by investment bank Macquarie that the company would remain disciplined in its bid to renew its longstanding deal with the AFL.
“We haven’t done all the hard work in this business to blow our brains out by doing ridiculous sports deals,” Warburton said.

If Paramount paid what Foxtel were paying they would need three million subscribers paying them $15 a month for the 10 months or nine months of the season just to break even.”

Is this likely ?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

Warburton has cut costs aggressively at Seven since taking on the CEO role in 2019, and he told investors at a conference hosted by investment bank Macquarie that the company would remain disciplined in its bid to renew its longstanding deal with the AFL.
“We haven’t done all the hard work in this business to blow our brains out by doing ridiculous sports deals,” Warburton said.

If Paramount paid what Foxtel were paying they would need three million subscribers paying them $15 a month for the 10 months or nine months of the season just to break even.”

Is this likely ?
nearer 1.5million for the ptv component but even that is very ambitious. It’s hard to see how the numbers add up for any streaming service given the price point.

Is this likely ?
That would be a $15 add on to their current Paramount+ subscription, which would bring the total near the cost of Kayo.

3,000,000 x $15pm = $45,000,000pm
X 9 months = $405,000,000
X 10 months = $450,000,000

Is Foxtel really paying $405/450 million a year, or is that the combined cost for Ch7/Foxtel?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
nearer 1.5million for the ptv component but even that is very ambitious. It’s hard to see how the numbers add up for any streaming service given the price point.
Warburton also said ;
We know those rights, we want a digital inclusion in the rights, and we know exactly what we’re going to bid for it.
So Seven want more of the one area that Fox have any growth in as well. In that case how could the afl hope to achieve any more from Fox if they are going to meet Sevens request for more digital, which I gather is to offset their softening FTA numbers.

How many people would be willing to pay $250 per season to see every NRL game?

If we can get 1,000,000 people willing to pay that then we'll see streaming services bidding for it.

How many devoted fans does our game have?

Foxtel ratings would suggest it's under 1,000,000.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
That would be a $15 add on to their current Paramount+ subscription, which would bring the total near the cost of Kayo.

3,000,000 x $15pm = $45,000,000pm
X 9 months = $405,000,000
X 10 months = $450,000,000

Is Foxtel really paying $405/450 million a year, or is that the combined cost for Ch7/Foxtel?
I was a bit confused by that as well, but what I think he means is that he is lumping the C10/Paramount bid into one and calling it Paramount. Which doesn`t really make sense anyway because x-amount of those games would be hived off to C 10 FTA and would be expected to pay for themselves through advertising etc.
But as Perth said even if the Paramount + ( streaming ) component was $250m that is still selling 1.6m - 1.7m subscriptions at $15 dollars. Which let`s face it is almost like the whole subscriber number of Kayo, including NRL, afl and all other sports signing up on Paramount +. Sounds like a big ask.
Having said all that I`m not prepared to right anything off with the fumbleball they sometimes seem to be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat, but I do console myself that it`s only a few years and we should be able to negotiate something like wise when the time comes.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
How many people would be willing to pay $250 per season to see every NRL game?

If we can get 1,000,000 people willing to pay that then we'll see streaming services bidding for it.

How many devoted fans does our game have?

Foxtel ratings would suggest it's under 1,000,000.
But even if they got 1m @ $250.00 that`s only $250m, and then where does the other $200m - $250m come from. FTA ain`t going to pay that if someone else has the streaming rights.
I think what we are seeing here is that advertisement free, cheap streaming services, combined with anti-syphoning laws and the desire to remain on FTA, has the potential to undercut the value of sports broadcast rights especially in a small market like Oz with competing duel broadcasters.
Alternatively and as I said before when our deal was being negotiated, the most value for rights might lie in one broadcaster having the lot, so if you don`t watch the FTA they catch you on their streaming service and vice versa. This is probably what Paramount/ C10 are thinking. Is it worth between $470m and $500m who knows.
Interesting to note Mclachlan did say the opportunity to broadcast the game internationally was part of negotiations, good luck with that.

Colk

First Grade
But even if they got 1m @ $250.00 that`s only $250m, and then where does the other $200m - $250m come from. FTA ain`t going to pay that if someone else has the streaming rights.
I think what we are seeing here is that advertisement free, cheap streaming services, combined with anti-syphoning laws and the desire to remain on FTA, has the potential to undercut the value of sports broadcast rights especially in a small market like Oz with competing duel broadcasters.
Alternatively and as I said before when our deal was being negotiated, the most value for rights might lie in one broadcaster having the lot, so if you don`t watch the FTA they catch you on their streaming service and vice versa. This is probably what Paramount/ C10 are thinking. Is it worth between $470m and $500m who knows.
Interesting to note Mclachlan did say the opportunity to broadcast the game internationally was part of negotiations, good luck with that.

Good luck considering they have no presence internationally. This is something that the NRL should be pushing in places like England. It even due to its somewhat similarity with Rugby Union, it would be easier for us to push into rugby markets in Europe for example

Wb1234

Referee

Is this likely ?
All these quotes are bs. It comes down to whether gill can get 10 to make a competitive bid then they will have competition for their rights