What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Wb1234

Referee
Link from previous post explaing whats wrong with the $946 or $473 yearly AFL figure.

Quote from the age: the AFL deal with Foxtel, the Dill and Foxtel spokesman, explains"

"This extension with Foxtel and Telstra, along with the extension we signed with the Seven Network earlier this year, ensures that we are able to not only rebuild our game but take it to more and more people," McLachlan said.

The deal represents a 25 per cent increase on the revised rights agreement the AFL struck with Foxtel because of the pandemic, but is only slightly higher than the original deal.

"The extension of the rights deal resets the discounts associated with COVID and is financially little changed from the original 2017-22 agreement," a Foxtel spokesman said.
I suspect gill is including digital income from Telstra for all the websites

since the arlc controls most of its digital content then to make a fair comparison the revenue from our digital department should be included

The_Wookie

Bench
I suspect gill is including digital income from Telstra for all the websites

since the arlc controls most of its digital content then to make a fair comparison the revenue from our digital department should be included

Hes not. Income from the AFL website network including the clubs belongs to Telstra, as these are Telstra assets, not the AFLs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hes not. Income from the AFL website network including the clubs belongs to Telstra, as these are Telstra assets, not the AFLs.
He kind of is as the deal includes payment from Telstra, which includes for those assets. I'm not sure exactly how the deal is with set up with Telstra and AFL but it seems the revenue raised from AFL's digital assets goes directly to Telstra and they then pay AFL for that in the media deal, is one of the reasons they pay the AFL so much whilst paying NRL little I'm guessing?

Wb1234

Referee
He kind of is as the deal includes payment from Telstra, which includes for those assets. I'm not sure exactly how the deal is with set up with Telstra and AFL but it seems the revenue raised from AFL's digital assets goes directly to Telstra and they then pay AFL for that in the media deal, is one of the reasons they pay the AFL so much whilst paying NRL little I'm guessing?
Wth ?
Are you agreeing with me against afl ?

ded

Finally some sense of reality. What the Dill has allowed the media to put out regarding the final two years of their current contract is down right fabricated figure of $946 over two years OR $473 over one year, however this story reveals what they really get which is $672 over two years OR $336 million per year.

"It’s not clear how much the rights would fetch, but AFL’s current broadcast agreement with pay-TV operator Foxtel and the FTA broadcaster Seven Network is bringing in around $672 million to the league over the next two years."

It was a fantasy that they get $946 over two years OR $473 per year. It must point to some deeper psychological butt hurt for the AFL to have go full Baghdad Bob just to try to beat the NRL. The AFL use Industry Sources, insiders, and experts to spew constant repetition of falsehoods which now have gained google search results recognition for their previous lies. ie $946 million deal for 2 years.
AwFuL always lie to make themselves look almighty and powerful. Their braindead supporters down in Fumbleball City gobble them up like an echidna at a termite nest.

Lol lol lol
There's nothing in there to say there is an offer from 10
Lol the AFL is LOOKING for that amount .
Then some vague reference ..lol no comment from any Ch10 or Paramount official .
The kings of bullshit do it again .

The AFL is reportedly looking for '$2.5billion over five years', and Channel 10 is willing to do 'whatever it takes' to secure the rights.
It will be interesting to see how much they get. I hope they go with another broadcaster so that News Ltd have no choice but to pump up our game and bury fumbleball. Foxtel is still the most important broadcaster for every Australian sporting league.

They are. They have 13 events a year that keeps the costs down because you can use the same crew. You can't do that with other sports.
Don't the NBL produce their own content, hence the reason ESPN purchased the broadcast rights for $15 a year, which is apparently the largest deal the league has ever signed?

You're aware that this article is citing US dollars right and the amount is the same
I didn't read it and was just going off what other people said. If it's American dollars then that would make it more clear.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gill The Dill got a good deal for 2025. Not because he's a genius or anything, but because the broadcasters always jump head over heels for AwFuL. My guess is they believe there's no class divide amongst fumbleball fans whereas rugby league is predominantly a working class man's game, so they would assume that there's more rich bastards with a lot of disposable income watching AwFuL. That's just my theory and not something I can prove, but it would explain why they're more interested in attracting fumbleball fans, as it would allow them to charge more for advertising space.

Cheers, interesting no one has yet forged a path that way. Must be good reasons why. I guess trying to run a Tv production company is a big diversion from running the actual sport.
Let's hope AwFuL never do start up their own production company. If they do then it will make the Hillsong Channel look a little less insane. There would be docos about "God" being a Victorian who has a couple of Sherrin footballs for nuts and created women and the goalposts at the MCG from his ribs. I'm afraid some people from the southern states would believe it, too.

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Let's hope AwFuL never do start up their own production company. If they do then it will make the Hillsong Channel look not a little less insane. There would be docos about "God" being a Victorian who has a couple of Sherrin footballs for nuts and created women and the goalposts at the MCG from his ribs. I'm afraid some people from the southern states would believe it, too.
I think you`ve forgotten that it was a game played by Aboriginals for thousands of years with a dead stuffed possum as a ball. The first explorers came across the game being played on cleared patches of ground, it`s true ! the fumble-ball history channel said so.

I think you`ve forgotten that it was a game played by Aboriginals for thousands of years with a dead stuffed possum as a ball. The first explorers came across the game being played on cleared patches of ground, it`s true ! the fumble-ball history channel said so.
Didn't Ch7 run a docufiction program on this titled "The Game That Made Australia" about 20 years ago?

Kerry Stokes is a fumbleball fan.

Wb1234

Referee
I deal in facts. It does seem you are on to something for a change lol
I need to
sean fagan, a noted sports historian actually examined the origins of afl and found it came from England

the first game of afl was played on a rectangular rugby field and an Englishman from Wigan was heavily involved in the start of that sport

afls origin myth is as realistic as the one rugby union peddles

rugby league is the only sport with a clear and accurate knowledge of its history

Wb1234

Referee
Let's hope AwFuL never do start up their own production company. If they do then it will make the Hillsong Channel look a little less insane. There would be docos about "God" being a Victorian who has a couple of Sherrin footballs for nuts and created women and the goalposts at the MCG from his ribs. I'm afraid some people from the southern states would believe it, too.
Afl is a cult. Everyone in it is brainwashed into accepting anything the cult says. Like all cults they get angry when you don’t want to join the cult.

The_Wookie

Bench
I need to

sean fagan, a noted sports historian actually examined the origins of afl and found it came from England

the first game of afl was played on a rectangular rugby field and an Englishman from Wigan was heavily involved in the start of that sport

afls origin myth is as realistic as the one rugby union peddles

rugby league is the only sport with a clear and accurate knowledge of its history

Hes a particularly noted rugby league historian. He does good work, but like Ian Syson - the soccer historian - his work is often coloured by bias towards his chosen sport.

I dont particularly subscribe to Marngrook as a foundation - its entirely based on things that *may" have happened or *may* have been seen. Its pretty clear that many of the rules originated in English school and village sports of the day, but were cobbled together and codified into the Mellbourne Rules in a hotel in Melbourne in 1858. And before that it doesnt really matter where they borrowed ideas from.

Telstra pays for the digital rights and the right to operate the club and AFL network - this has been 60m a year and wasnt reduced during the pandemic. In the extension, this has been enhanced with some other jazz they are doing at Marvel Stadium, an increase in actual sponsorship, and balanced by dropping the live rights.

• Telstra continues its partnership through the 2023 and 2024 seasons, with highlight, replay and on demand rights while increasing their investment in sponsorship assets.
  • Telstra will become Marvel Stadium’s official technology and innovation partner over the next four years, ensuring the revamped Marvel Stadium offers supporters the best digital experience of any stadium or entertainment venue in the country and ensuring supporters have the technology to connect them to the game they love.
  • Telstra technology and connectivity will be deployed at Marvel over the next few years including fixed and 4G/5G networks upgrades, Artificial Intelligence, and mixed reality and edge computing. From booking a seat to parking to engaging with the game, attendees will soon be able to experience a new stadium experience before, during, and after they attend the game.
  • Telstra will also expand its visual sponsorship elements such as on-field Telstra 5G signage, and continue the development of the AFL’s digital assets such as AFL.com.au, club websites and the AFL Official LIVE App. The updated sponsorship also deepens Telstra’s connections to AFL Clubs and extends the agreement with the AFL Players Association that engages all listed players as ambassadors for use in social marketing campaigns and other initiatives.

The_Wookie

Bench
AFL Media has done production for the league since 2012.

Latest posts