What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

magpie_man

Juniors
With onionball looking like it will keel over at the pro level now is the time to reduce the salary cap and add extra teams. The RLPA will look like numpties if they want a select few to squeeze every last cent out of the NRL each year and in doing so, prevent an extra 100 players from earning a living.

Not a bad strategy.
I'd be more inclined to dropping the NRL cap and increasing the grants and number of teams in the NSW & Qld Cups, heck, even partnering with the Auckland RL and getting a semi-pro NZ Cup going.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just in case you havnt noticed
That's the way it is now due to a pandemic
Afl our main competitor is also doing the same
But we won't see you writing multiple posts criticising them .
You only have an anti RL thing going on

I'm not interested in afl unless its to compare our main competitor, you seem to spend a lot of time talking about it .

Try asking your builder to reduce your house building price half way through construction due to covid-19. I'm sure he'd be happy to do so lol
No-one disputes this years payment should be less. But unless we are getting something for it we shouldnt be reducing the 21&22 payments.

Reactions: Vee

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Tell ch9 ,okee, dokee after 2022, don't slam the door on your departure.Deep down you've been pushing the AFL barrow ,as the home of Rugby League.The crap thrown at the NRL this year by management, is way over the top, for an organisation supposedly a business partner.
Wait and see.I'll bet my unos that Nein will bid for the AFL from 2023.

To me it sounds like (and I may well be wrong )V'landys has told Nein to get rogered on trying to get the Digital Dept.Please say it is so.
The Telegraph story leaves out a lot re values for each broadcaster, and what has happened ,yes or no with digital.

Exactly what has happened to Digital, I'm getting very suspicious V'landys has done a deal with News Ltd.
Given them the extension to allow them time to work on it and bed it in.

Let's see what league has got from it.

It is f'n annoying that the mainstream media can't be trusted for honest opinion and debate as to what V'landys is doing (he is bringing us back closer to News Ltd). Instead they are just propaganda machines, it's pathetic, sooner the mainstream media perish the better.

They have orchestrated league fans anger towards Nine, but what about News Ltd?

taipan

Referee
Exactly what has happened to Digital, I'm getting very suspicious V'landys has done a deal with News Ltd.

It is f'n annoying that the mainstream media can't be trusted for honest opinion and debate as to what V'landys is doing (he is bringing us back closer to News Ltd). Instead they are just propaganda machines, it's pathetic, sooner the mainstream media perish the better.

Don't think we'll get the full details, there are far less NRL leaks now ,it's a far tighter ship.
I just can't see ch9 getting the digital, as they have not extended their Tv contract, and they publicly proposed taking over the profitable digital, which would have meant a longer term commitment.

I have little time for either broadcaster.But currently of the two,I wouldn't squirt on Nine if they were on fire.What their management said this year was unbusinesslike ,unprofessional, and ironic considering they were losing money and Tv ratings in their own industry.
Nine is deserving of the main barrage, that sort of sh*t would not be tolerated by the AFL hobnobs either.
Foxtel I'll bide my time.

Reading the SMH, listening to Ch 9 commentators and Hanky Head(all part of the Fairfax mix) serving it up to the NRL,t hey brought a large % of the fans' anger upon themselves.News Ltd just added fuel to teh fire.

The light at the end of the tunnel, is Nine will very likely not be part of the NRL circa 2023.And the world will be a better place.

Perth Red

Post Whore

TBF to News Ltd they havent played this out in the media. Ch9 has done so. I havent seen any comment at all from Fox directly re the TV deal.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Exactly what does that tell you, usually they are very negative towards the game. Reading between the lines Fox would have appeared to have got what they want....the devil is in the detail. Notice no News Ltd journos are talking about the digital arm even though it is a very valuable asset.

Not a bad strategy.
I'd be more inclined to dropping the NRL cap and increasing the grants and number of teams in the NSW & Qld Cups, heck, even partnering with the Auckland RL and getting a semi-pro NZ Cup going.

The state leagues are underutilised assets of the game.

I've often wondered whether state leagues should be run at the start of the season, followed by a shortened national competition. All professional players would have to earn a spot on an NRL team via the state leagues. That would keep the suburban grounds in play for the state leagues, with a few representative teams playing in an 8 team NRL competition.

The big grounds would be used for the game of the day, finals and NRL games. This would allow more areas to be represented, increase the length of the season by a few weeks for the broadcasters and have 3 grand finals (2 state leagues, 1 NRL). Brisbane gets a grand final for the QLD league, Sydney gets one for the NSW league and the NRL final can be kept in Sydney or sold to the highest bidder.

There would be more games broadcast on TV and it would make Foxtel more relevant as it would be the only place to see every game from both state leagues.

Diesel

Referee
Why can’t state league games be played during the week. Mon-Wed (3 games) and the rest on Sat/Sun arvo? It’d give extra exposure to some clubs for sponsorship even if it was at a shitty time.

The NZRU have games mid-week, no reason why the Q/NSW RL’s can’t

flippikat

Bench
I've been a proponent of stand-alone State Of Origin weekends, coupled with "inter-league" rounds between NSW & Qld Cup clubs.. so that the lack of NRL games on SoO weekends is compensated by seeing some additional inter-state clashes on TV from 2nd tier - with the results all counting towards the respective 2nd tier ladders.

If the NSW & Qld cups can get to the same number of clubs, I think 3 rounds of interleague play would be a fine addition to the calendar - you could even make the interleague draw an TV show in itself.. perhaps have CEOs or coaches of NSW cup clubs pick their Qld opponents for the first round, vice versa for the 2nd round, and a randomly drawn 3rd interleague round.

colly

Juniors
This will send Leaguex111 off to hostipal with sky high blood pressure!

Quote SMH. Q and A

Was Channel Seven interested?

No. They are heavily invested in the AFL and have a chairman in Kerry Stokes who is AFL obsessed. It was never an option in my eyes.

People question the wisdom of brokering a long-term broadcast deal when the NRL is at its weakest. Thoughts?

Related Article

NRL 2020
Who your NRL team plays twice: Roosters dealt toughest draw, Eels one of easiest
Forget where we’re at right now. I went to the US and did my research and analysis about where the sports broadcast market is. I’m getting no less than what I was prepared to take before the coronavirus crisis came in. It’s a good deal for us.

Getting the same money in seven years’ time that you’re getting now is a good deal?

I think it will be better because we’ve carved a few things out. I can’t be more specific because it’s commercially sensitive. I’ve really appreciated the advice of [Fox Corp executive chairman] Lachlan Murdoch.

How so?

He’s doing a deal with the NFL in America. I’m working on the same strategy the NFL has. In my view, there’s a lifespan for traditional media, which gives you the maximum return for broadcast rights. The rest will give you revenue share and you have to provide production. That won’t produce the rivers of gold that we get now. The longer we have the traditional model, the more chance we have to build up our asset base. It gives us more certainty because we know what our revenues and costs are going to be over a long period of time. There’s a price for certainty.

Doesn’t a long-term deal also secure the future of Fox Sports, which is owned by the Murdochs?

Lachlan's taking a bigger risk than I am.

colly

Juniors
This will send Leaguex111 off to hostipal with sky high blood pressure!

Quote SMH. Q and A

Was Channel Seven interested?

No. They are heavily invested in the AFL and have a chairman in Kerry Stokes who is AFL obsessed. It was never an option in my eyes.

People question the wisdom of brokering a long-term broadcast deal when the NRL is at its weakest. Thoughts?

Related Article

NRL 2020
Who your NRL team plays twice: Roosters dealt toughest draw, Eels one of easiest
Forget where we’re at right now. I went to the US and did my research and analysis about where the sports broadcast market is. I’m getting no less than what I was prepared to take before the coronavirus crisis came in. It’s a good deal for us.

Getting the same money in seven years’ time that you’re getting now is a good deal?

I think it will be better because we’ve carved a few things out. I can’t be more specific because it’s commercially sensitive. I’ve really appreciated the advice of [Fox Corp executive chairman] Lachlan Murdoch.

How so?

He’s doing a deal with the NFL in America. I’m working on the same strategy the NFL has. In my view, there’s a lifespan for traditional media, which gives you the maximum return for broadcast rights. The rest will give you revenue share and you have to provide production. That won’t produce the rivers of gold that we get now. The longer we have the traditional model, the more chance we have to build up our asset base. It gives us more certainty because we know what our revenues and costs are going to be over a long period of time. There’s a price for certainty.

Doesn’t a long-term deal also secure the future of Fox Sports, which is owned by the Murdochs?

Lachlan's taking a bigger risk than I am.

Full story

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/q-...g-marks-and-rugba-league-20200522-p54vje.html

Well I thought before corona virus Nine were only break evens on the NRL - which was good for us as they (Nine) robbed other shows/line-up to pay the NRL contract amount.. To be clear here the amount of dollars was right in the deal BUT with Foxtel also showing the games the profitability was low to none. Thats my opinion. Well so what, Nine done their figures and got it wrong. RL is a loss/leader for them at the current contract but would be profitable if they could get exclusive rights as they had before. That was the state of play until corona virus came along. This was a circuit breaker for Nine to bargain again with the threat to walk away. The problem with contract law ( Thats taking Nine to court) it is is expensive AND in importantly it is LENGTHY. A possible case such as this would likely not be resolved until 4/5 years in the courts , which would deprive the NRL of much needed revenue. Look I posted about the evils of " old long balls" as he sits with Jerry in NY- but i don't mind his son who is at least a fan of R/L. So I agree with Vlandy that NRL ONLY streaming is NOT quite their at the moment - so take the cash now even if it is reduced. One last point, I think the economic slowdown recovery will make for poor business conditions for the next 3 years- such as i foresee Seven going into administration/bankrupt in not short reason because of the AFL contract and big loans and a POOR ADVERTISING ENVIRONMENT SINKING Seven.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Strange that they didn’t ask about ch10 interest? Or maybe not as the answer might have been different to what they want us to hear?

I would love the negative crowd ..we know who they are
To explain where these mythical media companies are that want RL
They bitch about fox & 9

We all do
But what is the alternative .
There are none if you face reality
All you can do is try to get th best deal possible out of them .

T-Boon

Coach
Having read that article, Vlandis biggest challenge lies ahead...trying to get the permission of the clubs to "build up assets" which is a philosophy that goes against article 1 of the NRL clubs constitution which is "squander the whole lot".

taipan

Referee
Having read that article, Vlandis biggest challenge lies ahead...trying to get the permission of the clubs to "build up assets" which is a philosophy that goes against article 1 of the NRL clubs constitution which is "squander the whole lot".

If the clubs haven't learnt a thing from what has happened this year, they'll never learn.

I would love the negative crowd ..we know who they are
To explain where these mythical media companies are that want RL
They bitch about fox & 9

We all do
But what is the alternative .
There are none if you face reality
All you can do is try to get th best deal possible out of them .
My hope is for the NRL to bank at least $25 million a year so they can hire an independent production company to film all the matches, then sell the content to the networks.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the clubs haven't learnt a thing from what has happened this year, they'll never learn.

hah, some of them have been on the verge of bankruptcy for years and they haven’t learnt a thing. You honestly think this will make any difference?

taipan

Referee
hah, some of them have been on the verge of bankruptcy for years and they haven’t learnt a thing. You honestly think this will make any difference?

WTF.Tha's a scoop about prior finances?
How many COVID-19 in operation in the past?
Let's see ,a new Chairman(you either like or don't) who has a chartered accounting background and is a slasher on costs and cuts through the BS, a humanitarian crisis where not only the financial viability of clubs was at death's door, but a health issue that is beyond the control of medical experts. Especially as some of the NRL clubs who rely heavily on poker machines, that source took and will continue to take a big hit.Their football depts will be required to reduce numbers as an example.

When your head office looked like going down the gurgler because of lack of revenue, sponsors pulling out because there was no TV for their clubs, when your quarterly grants looked like ceasing, when club CEOs were given details of the dire situation and some knew their club could finish kaput,I am pretty certain the Australia/World wide disaster, will make a difference to their thinking.

Throw in Bart Campbell from your fave Melbourne Storm, they were on the verge of having to get rid of staff and he dreaded the thought, and he initially thought the 28th May start was far too ambitious, now thinks V'Landys was spot on.

Latest posts