What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

colly

Juniors
Tassie demanding decision on club 19, I’m guessing it’s tied into the tv negotiations. Still can’t believe a state govt is willing to put up $10mill a year for ten years to fund a professional sports club!

Why would Tv (Seven) negotiations matter about Tassie, doesn't come under 5 city Metro ratings which Tv exec's treat as Gospel. Their must be trouble, as Foxtel can see Seven's plus streaming showing all games on now , in reality means Sevens has five/games. Foxtel won't pay any more than they paid last time, which we reversed costed Foxtel last yealy payment as ( 23-24) $220m- to $230m. This leaves Seven paying a motzza which they said they wouldn't do, "we know whats it's worth" Warburton CEO Seven, we won't pay over.

Last edited:

westerntiger

Juniors
This leaves Seven paying a motzza which they said they wouldn't do, "we know whats it's worth" Warburton CEO Seven, we won't pay over.
AFL is Vic, SA, WA, that's it. The WA crowd is having an epic meltdown over not being able to see their teams play and reckon Albanese should save them 😂

Sooner this sport goes behind a paywall and starts the rugby union death spiral the better...

Wb1234

Immortal
And the fumbler fans are calling for blood if more crowds go behind a paywall. Some are already questioning their Dear Leader's decision to waste $200 million on failed expansion clubs in rugby league territory and not bring in Tasmania
More like a billion lmao

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would Tv (Seven) negotiations matter about Tassie, doesn't come under 5 city Metro ratings which Tv exec's treat as Gospel. Thier must be trouble, as Foxtel can see Seven's plus streaming showing all games on now , in reality means Sevens has five/games. Foxtel won't pay any more than they paid last time, which we reversed costed Foxtel last yealy payment as ( 23-24) $220m- to $230m. This leaves Seven paying a motzza which they said they wouldn't do, "we know whats it's worth" Warburton CEO Seven, we won't pay over.
Extra games, those games will be shown in the metro areas. Though of our sale fo the 17th club is anything to go by it’s very debatable if it’s worth anything.

AFL is Vic, SA, WA, that's it. The WA crowd is having an epic meltdown over not being able to see their teams play and reckon Albanese should save them 😂

Sooner this sport goes behind a paywall and starts the rugby union death spiral the better...
not only this ..
they're saying foxtel want NSW & QLD too , they want subscriptions ,
wait til the " development states " lose their guarantee of FTA coverage & the head spin this will cause in derpball land

its a kluster fu*ck & an epic one too

thank you aflol for the 1st class entertainment 😎

Billythekid

First Grade

It’s ironic because the NRL is the sport actually rapidly heading down that path when you look at the ratings.

Colk

First Grade

Rugby League is behind a paywall really. We have had three games on FTA (for a very long time) and it hasn’t hurt our ratings too much. Really why would you watch Channel Nine?

Unless you are say the A-League who have always struggled for viewership, are in a fairly precarious condition and need to be on FTA as a result, I don’t think it means that much nowadays

It’s ironic because the NRL is the sport actually rapidly heading down that path when you look at the ratings.
we've had a super sat for 25 years , with no clubs excluded from appearing in it so our fans are used to not ... expecting ... fta
not remotely the same thing as aflol & their entitled little muffins who think they should never have to pay

what a rude shock for them
the back lash against the aflol & foxtel will be ........... delicious

Wb1234

Immortal
Rugby League is behind a paywall really. We have had three games on FTA (for a very long time) and it hasn’t hurt our ratings too much. Really why would you watch Channel Nine?

Unless you are say the A-League who have always struggled for viewership, are in a fairly precarious condition and need to be on FTA as a result, I don’t think it means that much nowadays
Yeh but the difference is rugby league gets massive ratings behind a pay wall and afl doesn’t

indeed our pay ratings are basically on par with fta

once afl gives up fta coverage for most games on sa and wa their ratings are going to tank

the crucial fact is afl ratings in nsw and qld have tanked

billions of dollars have been spent in those states and nobody is watching afl on tv

their rights are based on the remaining states

Colk

First Grade
Yeh but the difference is rugby league gets massive ratings behind a pay wall and afl doesn’t

indeed our pay ratings are basically on par with fta

once afl gives up fta coverage for most games on sa and wa their ratings are going to tank

the crucial fact is afl ratings in nsw and qld have tanked

billions of dollars have been spent in those states and nobody is watching afl on tv

their rights are based on the remaining states

Yeah but there is an assumption that people in WA/SA won’t just simply get PayTV or subscription services to watch their teams play.

It happened with League 25-30 years ago when it was less likely to work and the penetration of such services was much lower. I honestly don’t see how people in WA/SA won’t just switch to those services

The question is really whether PayTV will pay the difference for those games in order for their overall deal to go higher than previous because I’d presume that their FTA deal would go down (it shouldn’t increase if there are less games in any case). If it does than it will work for them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It could actually drive the price up as fta and paytv try and outbid each other to either keep the status quo for fta or to move more to pay tv. I can see possibly paytv getting Saturdays and fta getting weekly Thursday’s. Sucks for them they might end up having to put up with the sht coverage that we do From tv!
The SL war handed fox our game 25 years ago and they’ve been raping it ever since. Looks like it might be afl’s turn, though they’ll probably get well compensated.

Diesel

Referee
is a breakaway completion a possible reality in AFL? I’m not sure how the clubs are structured but if Fox doesn’t get what it wants, could it cook up a super league type competition

Diesel

Referee
It could actually drive the price up as fta and paytv try and outbid each other to either keep the status quo for fta or to move more to pay tv. I can see possibly paytv getting Saturdays and fta getting weekly Thursday’s. Sucks for them they might end up having to put up with the sht coverage that we do From tv!
The SL war handed fox our game 25 years ago and they’ve been raping it ever since. Looks like it might be afl’s turn, though they’ll probably get well compensated.
If FTA get Thursday games, I could see 7 pushing KO to 8pm. Since AFL games go longer than NRL, they’re going to finish very late on a school night. Nine’s Thursday & Friday NRL games kick off 20-25 minutes later than Fox’s late Saturday game so Seven will do something similar

colly

Juniors
So you ad
So you admit the TV rights have gone through so many CEO's and then to blame Vlandy when his hands were tried by prior agreements. The reason why their is no announcement for the AFL is because the money and the the amount of games are tried together. I see Fox paying the same which is a disaster for the AFL. Seven can't and WON"T pay more, Seven West Network is hundred of millions of debt their having trouble with. So the accountants say pay this and no more and if you get less games , pay less, simple isn't it. No Telstra waiting in the wings to stump up a cool $50 million either... The AFL were proud to call themselves the national game and now it's coming back to bite them. Where can i cheer for the AFL national team when they take on international countries, what? No can do!

Colk

First Grade
So you ad

So you admit the TV rights have gone through so many CEO's and then to blame Vlandy when his hands were tried by prior agreements. The reason why their is no announcement for the AFL is because the money and the the amount of games are tried together. I see Fox paying the same which is a disaster for the AFL. Seven can't and WON"T pay more, Seven West Network is hundred of millions of debt their having trouble with. So the accountants say pay this and no more and if you get less games , pay less, simple isn't it. No Telstra waiting in the wings to stump up a cool $50 million either... The AFL were proud to call themselves the national game and now it's coming back to bite them. Where can i cheer for the AFL national team when they take on international countries, what? No can do!

They would be getting more from pay and subscription services because they are getting more exclusive content.

I still don't understand why the NRL is so averse to overlapping games. With modern streaming you can watch games in split screen and it's actually better if one game's rubbish you can flip to the other one. Used to work with Viewer's Choice on Fox Super Saturday around 10 years ago no idea why it wouldn't work now.

It is a combination of factors. Firstly the TV networks, I'd dare say they don't want it as they want some broadcast space for advertising if nothing else. Additionally it involves extra spectrum to have overlapping games available on different channels which they may not have available anymore. Further they don't want to "split" their ratings as it is measured by OzTam.

The NRL allow the time between games due to injury stoppages, time off for goal kicks, also in case extra time is played. That is where the NRL focus is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So you ad

Vlandys just the latest in a line of cowards. Only two who've stood up to Tv is Smith and Greenberg and they both got sacked for it. Brave sport run by cowards.

Latest posts