What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

The_Wookie

Bench
It was

reported by Dill himself ( just after the signing) that in the 2017-2022 contract he admitted that $200m was contra in the 2.47b Six year agreement- them the facts. Seven was $60m so that would leave Foxtel with apox $140m.

That may have been what was reported - at least by some outlets - in 2015. The AFLs reports show 16m a year in contra since 2017...about $96m by the end of 2022.

Last reports for the NRL showed them paying $23m a year...but last reports with contra were a few years back now.

Rubbish, the afl contra was $16mill a year as evidenced in their financial annual reports.

Comments attributed to Mclachlan appeared in a number of outlets, including Mumbrella citing the "around 200m" figure.

It wasn’t even six months when vlandys signed the fox deal that stan bid for union (after getting us to take a lay cut)

if he had his time again he wouldn’t have stopped the comp and wouldn’t have panicked that tv compnaies were going broke
Now that our game is stuck with Ch9 and Foxtel he should look at bringing in the West Coast Pirates so we have something to work with in 2028. If he successfully brings in The Dolphins and the West Coast Pirates then he will have succeeded where Arthurson and Quayle failed.

Wb1234

Referee
Now that our game is stuck with Ch9 and Foxtel he should look at bringing in the West Coast Pirates so we have something to work with in 2028. If he successfully brings in The Dolphins and the West Coast Pirates then he will have succeeded where Arthurson and Quayle failed.
Nz2

madding dolphins was massive, second nz side will take the cake

Perth will get in sometime but I wouldn’t put them ahead of nz2

Perth Red

Post Whore

Starkers

Bench
there is some unwritten agreement with the bears after they were shafted that they get the 18th team if the comp ever goes back to that. they'll just be called the bears and will be a predominantly NSW regional team with games at Nth Sydney a few times a year.

NZ2 and Perth will follow. Adelaide deserves something too, further down the track. All these are growth areas for the NRL. If done correctly TV rights will increase.

It wasn’t even six months when vlandys signed the fox deal that stan bid for union (after getting us to take a lay cut)

if he had his time again he wouldn’t have stopped the comp and wouldn’t have panicked that tv compnaies were going broke

Stan? Good lord no. We don't need to basically put all broadcast of rugby league back in Channel 9's hands thanks. Nine haven';t had an original idea about coverage in decades.

Colk

First Grade
there is some unwritten agreement with the bears after they were shafted that they get the 18th team if the comp ever goes back to that. they'll just be called the bears and will be a predominantly NSW regional team with games at Nth Sydney a few times a year.

NZ2 and Perth will follow. Adelaide deserves something too, further down the track. All these are growth areas for the NRL. If done correctly TV rights will increase.

Bears have to move out of NSW to be considered. We don’t need any more NSW sides in the competition

Perth Red

Post Whore

I've been following NRL expansion closely for 20 years and this is the first I have heard of any such agreement. I very much doubt it exists.

colly

Juniors
Yes that's how I remember it, thanx.
That may have been what was reported - at least by some outlets - in 2015. The AFLs reports show 16m a year in contra since 2017...about $96m by the end of 2022.

Last reports for the NRL showed them paying $23m a year...but last reports with contra were a few years back now.

Comments attributed to Mclachlan appeared in a number of outlets, including Mumbrella citing the "around 200m" figure.

Starkers

Bench
I've been following NRL expansion closely for 20 years and this is the first I have heard of any such agreement. I very much doubt it exists.
The NRL has told them to look at JV partners in Perth, PNG and Christchurch and they've rejected them all.

When they merged then lost the JV with Manly apparently there was some play-off for an 18th club if it ever reverted back to that shape/size. This was 1999 when the comp went from 17 clubs to 14. So in that context it makes sense.

But we shall see. I favour Christchurch as the next addition. Then Perth and Adelaide to get back to 20. Like another poster said, NSW has enough sides, but the notion of a fully regional "Wanderers-style" franchise is a really good idea on it's own in isolation.

Colk

First Grade
The NRL has told them to look at JV partners in Perth, PNG and Christchurch and they've rejected them all.

When they merged then lost the JV with Manly apparently there was some play-off for an 18th club if it ever reverted back to that shape/size. This was 1999 when the comp went from 17 clubs to 14. So in that context it makes sense.

But we shall see. I favour Christchurch as the next addition. Then Perth and Adelaide to get back to 20. Like another poster said, NSW has enough sides, but the notion of a fully regional "Wanderers-style" franchise is a really good idea on it's own in isolation.

I didn’t know about PNG. Has Perth actually rejected the idea - I don’t necessarily blame them if they were talking about taking home games to North Sydney?

Starkers

Bench
I didn’t know about PNG. Has Perth actually rejected the idea - I don’t necessarily blame them if they were talking about taking home games to North Sydney?
No, it's the Bears that have rejected advances to move to Perth. Like it or not, V'Landys seems keen to right the wrongs of the past first, then get on with expansion.

Wb1234

Referee
I think Perth has the financial edge over NZ 2, but a second team in NZ will make the Fri 6pm game more palatable.
Nz2 means sky nz pay more Stan? Good lord no. We don't need to basically put all broadcast of rugby league back in Channel 9's hands thanks. Nine haven';t had an original idea about coverage in decades.
Stan? Good lord no. We don't need to basically put all broadcast of rugby league back in Channel 9's hands thanks. Nine haven';t had an original idea about coverage in decades.
agreed but the bidding will send the pay tv rights through the roof

the area the nrl is getting ripped off is pay tv rights

Wb1234

Referee
Bears have to move out of NSW to be considered. We don’t need any more NSW sides in the competition
We don’t need more nsw sides

BUT

if we are going to add dud areas like Adelaide then sure central coast should be mentioned