What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im struggling to comprehend how this could happen if it turns out afl get anything like $550mill!

gap between tv deals
2008 $73mill (game under conflicted ownership)
2013 $25mill first arlc deal
2017 $31mill the smith gate deal
2023? $100-150mill

and let’s not forget this isn’t comparing just Australian domestic deals.

this is potentially the biggest gap between deals EVER! Even worse than when news ltd was negotiating with itself.
Looks like Vlandys has fcked this up big time.

Colk

First Grade
No point going off early, Truth is in the detail but it is 9 games to 8 games a week so in reality should be more.

If what is reported is correct (that’s a big if I agree) $100m is a huge difference. It can’t be only attributable to an extra game, particularly as their audiences are going to be down and ours are going up.

All I can say is I would love to have their management. Yes, they make mistakes but they are ambitious and get things done

Colk

First Grade
Im struggling to comprehend how this could happen if it turns out afl get anything like $550mill!

gap between tv deals
2023? $100-150mill

this is potentially the biggest gap between deals EVER! Even worse than when news ltd was negotiating with itself.

The thing I can’t work out is if they get this done it is with the background of their rating figures going down and ours going up.

Their management is remarkable whilst ours isn’t.

Colk

First Grade

gap between tv deals
2023? $100-150mill

and let’s not forget this isn’t comparing just Australian domestic deals.

The other thing I can see is that they are maybe going to 20 teams. I’d say Tasmania is going ahead.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The thing I can’t work out is if they get this done it is with the background of their rating figures going down and ours going up.

Their management is remarkable whilst ours isn’t.
Tell me something I dont know. Whilst Vlandys was negotiating a 5 year deal with zero cash increase their ceo was getting a 2 year extension that recouped all their lost covId payments! This seemingly then set the bar for next deal.
we need an investigation!

Colk

First Grade
That would be 19, they are very ltd what they can do in immediate future for team 20.

Probably. It seems odd that they would get a notable increase without adding new content particularly as their ratings are dropping.

Colk

First Grade
Tell me something I dont know. Whilst Vlandys was negotiating a 5 year deal with zero cash increase their ceo was getting a 2 year extension that recouped all their lost covId payments! This seemingly then set the bar for next deal.
we need an investigation!

What are the Tigers management doing atm? Maybe we can somehow get some on the AFL board.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Probably. It seems odd that they would get a notable increase without adding new content particularly as their ratings are dropping.
They haven’t yet, still all rumour. However if they do nrl have some answers to give.

The_Wookie

Bench

If they can make the current content more palatable to broadcasters - Fox getting super saturday, local teams going on delay, seven getting Thursday nights, maybe even a night grand final - for example - then thats not really nothing.

Colk

First Grade
If they can make the current content more palatable to broadcasters - Fox getting super saturday, local teams going on delay, seven getting Thursday nights, maybe even a night grand final - for example - then thats not really nothing.

Still you would have to bear in mind in that scenario that they would or should get a decrease from Seven. What is their current deal with them?

The_Wookie

Bench
Still you would have to bear in mind in that scenario that they would or should get a decrease from Seven. What is their current deal with them?

3.5 matches a week. several thursdays - not all - fridays, saturday nights and sunday afternoons unless theres a public holiday game. This is altered depending on the televised matches of non victorian teams.

Iamback

Coach
If what is reported is correct (that’s a big if I agree) $100m is a huge difference. It can’t be only attributable to an extra game, particularly as their audiences are going to be down and ours are going up.

All I can say is I would love to have their management. Yes, they make mistakes but they are ambitious and get things done

Take Sat night for example. Ch7 in Melbourne shows a different game to the other Ch7's. Are you really going to watch that other game?

No overlap and extra game but wait to see, might even be over 6 years not 5. Which brings the ave down