What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL has told them to look at JV partners in Perth, PNG and Christchurch and they've rejected them all.

When they merged then lost the JV with Manly apparently there was some play-off for an 18th club if it ever reverted back to that shape/size. This was 1999 when the comp went from 17 clubs to 14. So in that context it makes sense.

But we shall see. I favour Christchurch as the next addition. Then Perth and Adelaide to get back to 20. Like another poster said, NSW has enough sides, but the notion of a fully regional "Wanderers-style" franchise is a really good idea on it's own in isolation.
If that agreement existed then surely they would have automatically got the 16th spot as CC Bears? There is no way the NRl made such a 'verbal' agreement, and as I said you are the first time ive ever heard of it even being a rumour.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I didn’t know about PNG. Has Perth actually rejected the idea - I don’t necessarily blame them if they were talking about taking home games to North Sydney?
Its always amusing when people say 'has perth'.
Who exactly do you mean?
We have a Govt keen to back someone, anyone.
We have three possible bidders who in last 18 months have indicated a desire to bid. So if we are talking about the three bidders then no is the answer.
But it would have to be on their terms.
So Sage wants to run the club and cover his Glory admin costs, so no way he would want Bears involved in any sort of ownership.
Puddy seemed open to the idea and has talked to them in the past before all this, but cooled off.
Cumins, no word on. He is keen to see a WA owned club though and ideally under the Pirates banner.
So no I doubt anyone has closed the door, but so far from what we have heard none of them have come out and said they would be happy to be minor partners in a NS owned venture.

Who exactly do you mean?
We have three possible bidders who in last 18 months have indicated a desire to bid. So if we are talking about the three bidders then no is the answer.
So Sage wants to run the club and cover his Glory admin costs, so no way he would want Bears involved in any sort of ownership.
Puddy seemed open to the idea and has talked to them in the past before all this, but cooled off.
Cumins, no word on. He is keen to see a WA owned club though and ideally under the Pirates banner.
So no I doubt anyone has closed the door, but so far from what we have heard none of them have come out and said they would be happy to be minor partners in a NS owned venture.
@Perth Red Are the Pirates an existing and well known brand in Perth?

Colk

First Grade
Who exactly do you mean?

Sorry I should have paraphrased - have any of the consortiums rejected the Bears overtures?

Perth Red

Post Whore
@Perth Red Are the Pirates an existing and well known brand in Perth?
No. They are an under 18’s team in a minor sport here. RL fans here know about the pirates brand and bid, beyond that no one would know.

western reds still has brand recognition more than pirates at this point in time. That would obviously change pretty quickly, pirates is actually a great grand to be able to promote, especially to kids.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sorry I should have paraphrased - have any of the consortiums rejected the Bears overtures?
No, but none have said they are keen. This is the only story from any of the bidders and sorry it’s behind paywall and don’t have access. there was a story last year that Puddy had met with them and wasn’t keen, sorry can’t find the link.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Tassie demanding decision on club 19, I’m guessing it’s tied into the tv negotiations. Still can’t believe a state govt is willing to put up $10mill a year for ten years to fund a professional sports club!

Just guessing, but I'd imagine they can pull it out of the 'tourism' bucket as boatloads of Victorians will head over on a regular basis

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
AFL is Vic, SA, WA, that's it. The WA crowd is having an epic meltdown over not being able to see their teams play and reckon Albanese should save them 😂

Sooner this sport goes behind a paywall and starts the rugby union death spiral the better...
Yes, there is a reason that they have to pay untold millions to get a small foothold in NSW and QLD and we don't have to spend a cent. NSW and QLD is 50% of the Aus population and that is where RL is king!

The other 50%, most of that is Victoria where we have carved a nice little niche for ourselves.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

Announcement seems imminent
How many people are going to watch a game on FTA that is on a 2 hour delay ? not many I suspect. And how would that even work in NSW and Queensland. If a game kicks-off at 3 p.m. and the delayed telecast at 5 p.m. the games would be running into the evening news and other programmes. Don`t get it at all.

Wb1234

Referee
Yes, there is a reason that they have to pay untold millions to get a small foothold in NSW and QLD and we don't have to spend a cent. NSW and QLD is 50% of the Aus population and that is where RL is king!

The other 50%, most of that is Victoria where we have carved a nice little niche for ourselves.
Exactly

couldn’t agree more with this

and regional nsw and qld have large populations to rival Adelaide and Perth

it’s why a majority of Australians live in rugby league areas

So rumoured to be aiming for $520mill?
how ?
foxtel are paying ... not much more then the old amount ,
Ch 7 paid 730 mill over 5 years 20-24 or 146 mill pa

around 416 with tesltra ( no one knows what they're paying moving forward because they haven't been mentioned )
is the starting figure , so 460 odd & they'll sell their soul to achieve this too.

this article is a load of tripe like every other on this subject has been with vague figures , un named sources & made up BS
the reason the talks are taking place is because the aflol is still a long way short of what they want & they're reluctant to go to the public with the deal they have ...

if the deal was 520 mill , I assure you it would have been announced weeks ago
it aint close to that ...hence the delay 😎

Latest posts