What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Colk

First Grade
Even if they don’t get $550 million and they instead get $500 million that’s still not particularly great news (it’s better news of course than getting $550 million but still)

Their deal is going to be a fair chunk more than ours. That’s bad news.

Wb1234

Referee
Even if they don’t get $550 million and they instead get $500 million that’s still not particularly great news (it’s better news of course than getting $550 million but still)

Nah take out the contra and 500 mill is pretty meh

especially since the afl has to fund basket cases whilst the nrl added a team that owns a shopping centre

Colk

First Grade
Nah take out the contra and 500 mill is pretty meh

especially since the afl has to fund basket cases whilst the nrl added a team that owns a shopping centre

Their revenue is already a fair degree more and now it is probably even more. That’s not good.

Anyway we’ll see where it ends up.

westerntiger

Juniors
The AFL is an absolute joke. It's an ailing sport that has no future in a multicultural Australia given its rampant racism and Anglo favouritism. Hopefully Channel Seven end up paying overs for the rights and goes bust as a result...

Colk

First Grade
The AFL is an absolute joke. It's an ailing sport that has no future in a multicultural Australia given its rampant racism and Anglo favouritism. Hopefully Channel Seven end up paying overs for the rights and goes bust as a result...

I would rather that they were paid less than Rugby League not more

Perth Red

Post Whore

Again, at a time we should have finally been closing the gap or getting ahead we could end up with this……

gap between tv deals
2008 $73mill (game under conflicted ownership)
2013 $25mill first arlc deal
2017 $31mill the smith gate deal
2023?$100-150mill speculated

how the nrl will justify a $17mill increase on our deal if they get anything like a $80-$100mill increase I just dont know.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

I think they're giving up a lot to get there. Saturdays exclusive to pay and throwing the expansion clubs under the bus. The extra money can prop up GWS and GC for a while but what's the point if they are still in the same position support wise at the end of the deal.

But questions still need to be asked if the gap between deals proves to be that large.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think they're giving up a lot to get there. Saturdays exclusive to pay and throwing the expansion clubs under the bus. The extra money can prop up GWS and GC for a while but what's the point if they are still in the same position support wise at the end of the deal.

But questions still need to be asked if the gap between deals proves to be that large.
They are only going to what we have done. exclusive ptv Saturday, more ltd fta covg, night gf. All stuff we gave to fox and nine years ago. Difference is they are getting paid, a lot, for it!

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
They are only going to what we have done. exclusive ptv Saturday, more ltd fta covg, night gf. All stuff we gave to fox and nine years ago. Difference is they are getting paid, a lot, for it!
I just envied the deal they had from a growth of game perspective. They didn't sacrifice scheduling and pushed expansion teams in their markets. Now they've given fox everything they want and look how that's gone for us. There's no putting the genie back in the bottle.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I just envied the deal they had from a growth of game perspective. They didn't sacrifice scheduling and pushed expansion teams in their markets. Now they've given fox everything they want and look how that's gone for us. There's no putting the genie back in the bottle.
Yeh I think the last deal they got will be hard to beat in terms of balance of fan benefit v revenue. They got a good wad of money but didn’t compromise the game times for attendance or fta covg, especially in other states.

this deal they are going to get a massive wad of cash by sound of it and finally a club in tassie, but more Thursday nights and less exposure could hurt them in the long run.

Colk

First Grade

The only way that this doesn’t look negligent for our game and its management is if they are expanding to 20 sides and thus getting an extra game. At least then they have probably topped out

I honestly think we are about 30 years behind them. They have got a national competition, much greater revenue, world class stadiums and facilities. We are still debating whether to put a team in Perth ffs and whether or not Sydney teams can still play at dilapidated stadiums.

Iamback

Coach

We have seen what Thursday night does to crowds, They have Pay TV and FTA Sat night game. That changes like I said the details are needed to fully judge

Colk

First Grade
We have seen what Thursday night does to crowds, They have Pay TV and FTA Sat night game. That changes like I said the details are needed to fully judge

He was talking about their current deal. Essentially they are in a position about 30 years ahead of us due to much better management and our conservatism in response.

The only way we could possibly catch up to them now is if they completely stuff themselves somehow (very unlikely) or there are a few billionaires that want to invest in the competition in some capacity

Steel Saints

Juniors
The only way that this doesn’t look negligent for our game and its management is if they are expanding to 20 sides and thus getting an extra game. At least then they have probably topped out

I honestly think we are about 30 years behind them. They have got a national competition, much greater revenue, world class stadiums and facilities. We are still debating whether to put a team in Perth ffs and whether or not Sydney teams can still play at dilapidated stadiums.
There was a team in Perth, then Super League came along, and from 1995-2012, the game lost it’s independence.

In the last decade, the NRL has been playing catch up football. And when you play catch up football, inevitably you make mistakes.

IMO, the game should look after it’s own backyard, rather than go crazy with what another mob is up to.

If in the next 5 years or so it can expand NRLW, bring back Perth as the 18th, increase tv rights deal from one to the next, install transfer windows, improve grassroots, sort out the Canberra stadium issue, solve the Sydney suburban ground conundrum, be a step ahead with concussion and save money to buy an asset, then the game would be in great shape as it heads towards the 2030’s.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There was a team in Perth, then Super League came along, and from 1995-2012, the game lost it’s independence.

In the last decade, the NRL has been playing catch up football. And when you play catch up football, inevitably you make mistakes.

IMO, the game should look after it’s own backyard, rather than go crazy with what another mob is up to.

If in the next 5 years or so it can expand NRLW, bring back Perth as the 18th, increase tv rights deal from one to the next, install transfer windows, improve grassroots, sort out the Canberra stadium issue, solve the Sydney suburban ground conundrum, be a step ahead with concussion and save money to buy an asset, then the game would be in great shape as it heads towards the 2030’s.
Totally agree, we are not out of the fight to be Australia’s dominant football code but we continually have to fight with one hand behind our backs. our time was the early 90’s but news ltd fcked that up and have been punishing us ever since. Will we ever get back there? It won’t be any easier if afl open up an even bigger revenue gap that’s for sure.

Alongside those opportunities we also have nz, png and the j ter ational game that could be massive for the sport if we invested properly in them.

Iamback

Coach
He was talking about their current deal. Essentially they are in a position about 30 years ahead of us due to much better management and our conservatism in response.

The only way we could possibly catch up to them now is if they completely stuff themselves somehow (very unlikely) or there are a few billionaires that want to invest in the competition in some capacity

Different set ups though

Panthers have $143m in Assets, Yet are in 2 different entities

Souths have Rich owners so lets not pretend NRL clubs are broke

Perth Red

Post Whore
Different set ups though

Panthers have $143m in Assets, Yet are in 2 different entities

Souths have Rich owners so lets not pretend NRL clubs are broke
Some clubs are financially very secure. Some have lots of assets but little spare cash to spend. I dont think the games issues are with the financially viability of the clubs anymore since the grant was doubled. Though I would question how much money they actually have to spend. You don’t really see them doing much to invest in building their customer base or sorting out their own stadiums.

bigger problem is with the nrl. pre covid nrl were sitting $265mill a year behind afl revenue. That’s massive and imagine what the sport could be doing if it had that much more annual revenue every year. If afl open that up by an extra $80-$100mill for the next 7 years it makes it near on impossible to overtake them I suspect.

So if this deal is padded significantly with contra .
will Pr be talking it down due to the contra component as he has repeatedly done with the NRL deal .
all we heard for last 12+ months is contra contra contra.
id bet he won’t be too negative about afl contra.

Latest posts