What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

colly

Juniors
It will be close to what the NRL and the AFL get from ALL broadcasters. So we ( NRL) calculate what we get from Nine(cash/contra, know as $130m pa, $32m from Sky NZ, and roughly $240+m from Foxtel/Kayo to equal over $400m per year. Notice Telstra 'sponsorship' should not be calculated in BOTH deals.

If the AFL get from Seven West Media 7 Seven and Foxtel,KAyo (ONLY) over $500m it will be a good deal. This is a broadcaster ONLY comparison. Maybe the AFL only get just over $400m cash, which is a position where the NRL are always closing the gap and where the situation is neck and neck.

The much touted $946m 23-24 deal was not just broadcaster it was 'helped' along with a $100 million giveaway by Telstra, which they don't have the balls to even turn up at negotiation this time as their true identity ie Telstra. What a sweet deal they made Dec 2021, whereby all other participants clawed back millions due to Coronavirus and Telstra was the only one said 'nay', we will pay the $50 as usual and 'renew' the deal for two years for a cool $100 million again, even thou it must have already been discussed with Fox to have the Telsra exit the Live streaming for KAyo's benefit which they formally announced their exit in in Feb 2022 just two months after signing a $100m cash extension for cough/cough 'Live Streaming'. Sweet enough!

Anyway NZ is a broadcaster and don't be fooled by Perth Red trying to exclude the $32m contribution. Heck they have a team in the competition the Warriors and according to Perth Red we can't include their revenue in our calculations, that's outrageous.. We the NRL can't control Teltsra, thus their cash (if any) this time WON"T be calculated to the benefit of the AFL for the simple point telstra is NOT a broadcaster.
The reason we haven't seem the $500m signing ceremony for the AFL is because the $$'s ain't their. IF they have a over $500m deal it would be signed already, however don't expect to see Andy Pandy CEO at Telstra giving away untold millions.. We will see...

Colk

First Grade
This will ruffle some feathers in here..... Channel 9 have bid for the AFL

Channel Nine are scum. The worst thing about the new deal is not the lack of an increase but having to deal with them white anting the game for the next five years.

Also, they do just as much promotion for fumbleball as RL so it is not surprising that they have gone for it.

Colk

First Grade
Gold Coast needed to be an existing club promoted into the NRL

Dragons have a couple of Leagues clubs. 50/50 share with Bruce Gorton

Manly have Leagues clubs
Roosters have several other assets too
Newcastle are the perils of a Regional team in a National comp.

The only issue I have is what if the said owner gets bored with the club and wants out?

Yeah I know it is a mixed bag but so is the Leagues club model.

True about Newcastle (although we are not a national comp) In saying that not all regional teams are poor - look at my club. Wests Newcastle give them security however coming from the region there are still question marks about how much money they will tip in.

Roosters, Souths and Melbourne are all owned by private owners and they have been the most successful clubs over the past decade. So it can work

Iamback

Coach

True about Newcastle (although we are not a national comp) In saying that not all regional teams are poor - look at my club. Wests Newcastle give them security however coming from the region there are still question marks about how much money they will tip in.

Roosters, Souths and Melbourne are all owned by private owners and they have been the most successful clubs over the past decade. So it can work

Not saying Regional clubs are bad, I like that RL has plenty of them across the board there are very few regional based teams in sport. Corporate support is the main hinderance

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly, something that I had thought of as well.
Another issue and although minor is the number of players needed to field a team, probably at least 20 players per team. Given declining participation in sport it is only going to get more and more difficult for fumbleball clubs at grass-roots levels to field teams. This could be a real and on-going problem in regional areas that often make up the lifeblood of a lot of sporting codes.
I can see nines helping with this, it’s less physical and needs less players and caters for non 100kg players.

Wb1234

Referee
Channel Nine are scum. The worst thing about the new deal is not the lack of an increase but having to deal with them white anting the game for the next five years.

Also, they do just as much promotion for fumbleball as RL so it is not surprising that they have gone for it.
Channel nine are trying to get seven to pay more

it’s smart business

they don’t really want the rights which is a shame because seven could really change how the game is presented

Perth Red

Post Whore
GC are a basket case and should never of been let in
Knights are an example of the perils of Private ownership, much better following the Leagues Club backing model
How did that work for dragons or sharks? Even most LC’s have stopped adding pokies and instead using money to diversify into non LC businesses.

Wb1234

Referee

Regional nsw and qld have massive populations

Perth and south Australia are literally empty

maybe the nrl should get new borders drawn so both regional nsw and regional qld are separate states just to show how big the game is lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
This will ruffle some feathers in here..... Channel 9 have bid for the AFL

shts cut funding during covid, refused to pay anymore for nrl in next deal, then miraculously can find $2.5billion to buy afl? Home of rugby league!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not saying Regional clubs are bad, I like that RL has plenty of them across the board there are very few regional based teams in sport. Corporate support is the main hinderance
cowboys buck that trend on regional corporate support. Not sure why Newcastle had such a hard time, maybe too close to saturated Sydney to pick up the corporates?

Iamback

Coach
How did that work for dragons or sharks? Even most LC’s have stopped adding pokies and instead using money to diversify into non LC businesses.

Sharks did a deal and got cash in lieu of an operating club, As I said the other day. That will re-open and the new restuarants in that complex will pay rents. Sharks Leagues club benefits aa such gives the Football club extra protection for bad years

In hindsight they probably should have just picked another Brisbane side. In any case, so long as they get success they will be fine. Massive growth area too.

Aren’t a lot of clubs owned by private owners and not leagues clubs? Just off the top of my head I know of GC, Dragons, Broncos, Storm, Manly, Souths and Roosters. Most other sports also use private ownership as you need massive investment nowadays. So, I don’t necessarily think it is the model that is the problem (if a League Club starts faltering the same thing happens) it is the process of electing the ownership.

Also I would say that the Knights did not have an alternative at that stage - maybe a different private owner of course but they needed outside investment. Before Wests Newcastle took them over, they’d always been poor - it is probably the fault of the NSWRL at the time for letting them in at the time without proper financial planning.

The Roosters are most definitely not under private ownership. The football club is run by its members, of whom there are actually very few (becoming an actual member of the club is rather hard to do). The football club controls the leagues club, which is why there is significant cross over between the football club and leagues club boards. It is just that many of the Roosters Board of Directors are personally wealthy. The leagues club itself has a lot of assets, including owning a lot of property in Bondi Junction.

As to Newcastle, they never had a leagues club funding them until Wests Newcastle bought them out. That was why they sold a good chunk of the club to Nathan Tinkler because, with poor onfield results, they were struggling financially.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I can see nines helping with this, it’s less physical and needs less players and caters for non 100kg players.
Not sure if you`re referring to League nines or fumbleball nines which I had never heard of until recently and was assured by a fumbleballhead that it is very popular. Sorry to say but I assume with your rose-tinted glasses for everything fumbleball you are referring to the latter. In that case nine fumbleball players on a cricket-size field would be laughable. lol.
If by chance you are referring to League nines I think you`ve missed my point. The great attraction of Touch and Tag League is that it doesn`t involve the tackle, the one thing that would put most people off League. In fact League Tag with its` 13 per side, full size field and all the same rules as 13-a-side Tackle ( except of course no tackle ) is a great substitute for those who want the League catching, passing, evasive running experience without being hammered.
I`d love to see it as a permanent part of our World Cup with teams coming from all over the world.

Iamback

Coach
The Roosters are most definitely not under private ownership. The football club is run by its members, of whom there are actually very few (becoming an actual member of the club is rather hard to do). The football club controls the leagues club, which is why there is significant cross over between the football club and leagues club boards. It is just that many of the Roosters Board of Directors are personally wealthy. The leagues club itself has a lot of assets, including owning a lot of property in Bondi Junction.

As to Newcastle, they never had a leagues club funding them until Wests Newcastle bought them out. That was why they sold a good chunk of the club to Nathan Tinkler because, with poor onfield results, they were struggling financially.

Don't Roosters own an apartment block too? Which young guys get housed

Wb1234

Referee

Wait till they redevelop the leagues clubs and wherever they own next to it

it’s all high rise and Bondi junction is developer heaven. Plus the commercial on the ground floor and a new leagues club will be raking in the bucks

uncle Nick sure has done a great job leaving the roosters as self reliant once he departs this earth

Colk

First Grade

I know about Newcastle and their travails as I live here

There you go about the Roosters. Learn something new everyday.