What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

So what’s your thoughts on afl getting double the revenue of nrl for telstra and naming rights? Come on don’t be shy. Add something to the conversation for a change. what do we need to do to be able to attract the same level of corproate revenue? BasEd on what we know it looks like Toyota paid $15.5 million a year more for afl naming rights compared to what Telstra is paying for nrl.
I'll add something to the conversation when you add something other then your biased anti everything NRL & turning a blind eye to anything that shows the AFL up as less then perfect

come on
don't be shy , the AFL's result is utterly woeful

used to get 68.5 million
now they get 30.5
take your rose coloured ( I wuv awful & can't say anthing bad about it glasses ) off & admit it

Last edited:
The problem is we don’t win any of the battles really. The result though is neither good for the NRL (only earning half of what the AFL does) nor the AFL (suffering a massively drop in their revenue).

On the profit/loss aspect, it depends on the revenue and projected revenue, your expenses (how far you can cut them over a short term/long term basis before it impacts on your future profitability) and what your position was prior to that year.

For all we know, cutting development costs substantially in order to obtain profit might impact revenue in the long term (less talent in the competition) particularly when junior development is often criticised. Inversely, AFL might not have cut costs because they can wear short term pain and are banking on much higher revenue coming in.
hahaha

wot ?
how is a 50 million dollar profit not a good result in the environment it resulted in exactly ?
The NRL didn't cut costs for shits n gigs & just so they could boast about it , they were measures required to ensure the comp didn't go under with revenues under serious threat. As it turned out , the NRL's good management garnered the comp a far better result then expected & showed that bumbling victorian shit show how its done.
Id say thats a win.

Last edited:

Smug Panther

First Grade
hahaha

wot ?
how is a 50 million dollar profit not a good result in the environment it resulted in exactly ?
The NRL didn't cut costs for shits n gigs & just so they could boast about it , it was measures required to ensure the comp didn't go under with revenues under serious threat. As it turned out , the NRL's good management garnered the comp a far better result then expected & showed that bumbling victorian shit show how its done.
Id say thats a win.
You're wasting your time with this deadshit

tri_colours

Juniors
The problem is we don’t win any of the battles really. The result though is neither good for the NRL (only earning half of what the AFL does) nor the AFL (suffering a massively drop in their revenue).

On the profit/loss aspect, it depends on the revenue and projected revenue, your expenses (how far you can cut them over a short term/long term basis before it impacts on your future profitability) and what your position was prior to that year.

For all we know, cutting development costs substantially in order to obtain profit might impact revenue in the long term (less talent in the competition) particularly when junior development is often criticised. Inversely, AFL might not have cut costs because they can wear short term pain and are banking on much higher revenue coming in.

20mill extra viewers watching this year would suggest otherwise

An increase from fox, An increase from sky NZ and at least as much from C9. WOW!

Junior development is criticised in both code.

When exactly is this long term revenue going to cut in ? Because Gilligan cant see alot over the next next 5 years. Unless he's going to call in the club loans.

Colk

First Grade
hahaha

wot ?
The NRL didn't cut costs for shits n gigs & just so they could boast about it , they were measures required to ensure the comp didn't go under with revenues under serious threat. As it turned out , the NRL's good management garnered the comp a far better result then expected & showed that bumbling victorian shit show how its done.
Id say thats a win.

I hope that you’re right. It would be a good thing for the NRL to finally outmanoeuvre the AFL on an administrative front, particularly when considering Rugby League’s history of inept administration over the past 25 years or so.

Colk

First Grade
20mill extra viewers watching this year would suggest otherwise

An increase from fox, An increase from sky NZ and at least as much from C9. WOW!

Junior development is criticised in both code.

When exactly is this long term revenue going to cut in ? Because Gilligan cant see alot over the next next 5 years. Unless he's going to call in the club loans.

20 million more? I would like to see the confirmation of those numbers but let’s say that is right - why is our revenue so much lower than theirs? Why are they getting more for TV rights than we are if our viewership is so much higher. Either they’re incredibly good at selling their code or we’re incredibly poor at selling ours. I could have a guess at least one of the reasons but I’ll leave that for another time.

The increase from Fox and NZ is very welcome and I congratulate V’landys for getting that done. Particularly for NZ - it was pathetic how the Warriors were treated by TV and hopefully the new rights will lead to greater support and prominence for the game over there. We’re not getting the same from Channel 9 - it hasn’t been done yet. Frankly I wish they’d f*** Channel Nine right off as they haven’t supported the game properly but if their service is better and they promote the game then you’d wear less money.

I can’t speak for AFL on the junior development front because I don’t follow the game or their media but junior development should be an issue for RL considering the gap between teams this year (yes the rules and no reserve grade also played a role)

Are you talking about increase in revenue for AFL? You have to factor in that Victoria has been in lockdown or at least under severe restrictions for the past two years. We will also get an increase from gate receipts; however, I would expect their revenue from game attendance to increase dramatically

20 million more? I would like to see the confirmation of those numbers but let’s say that is right - why is our revenue so much lower than theirs? Why are they getting more for TV rights than we are if our viewership is so much higher. Either they’re incredibly good at selling their code or we’re incredibly poor at selling ours. I could have a guess at least one of the reasons but I’ll leave that for another time.

The increase from Fox and NZ is very welcome and I congratulate V’landys for getting that done. Particularly for NZ - it was pathetic how the Warriors were treated by TV and hopefully the new rights will lead to greater support and prominence for the game over there. We’re not getting the same from Channel 9 - it hasn’t been done yet. Frankly I wish they’d f*** Channel Nine right off as they haven’t supported the game properly but if their service is better and they promote the game then you’d wear less money.

I can’t speak for AFL on the junior development front because I don’t follow the game or their media but junior development should be an issue for RL considering the gap between teams this year (yes the rules and no reserve grade also played a role)

Are you talking about increase in revenue for AFL? You have to factor in that Victoria has been in lockdown or at least under severe restrictions for the past two years. We will also get an increase from gate receipts; however, I would expect their revenue from game attendance to increase dramatically
so much lower ?
we got 380 million for our deal & they got 418 million for theirs
we are still suffering from having been half owned by the very broadcaster we deal with but we are making huge inroads into the difference between the codes media rights deals & the above was the only reason there was a difference at all. An unfortunate consequence of the super league war.

tri_colours

Juniors

I must admit Im confused , when you say 'our' are you talking about the AFL or NRL?

Are they getting more for there tv rights? I dont think they are on Fox. And They deffinately dont get any more on Sky or any internation locality. Well behind on steaming. However They would get more on FTA, but they do have double the advertising opportunities and show more games

Colk

First Grade
so much lower ?
we are still suffering from having been half owned by the very broadcaster we deal with but we are making huge inroads into the difference between the codes media rights deals & the above was the only reason there was a difference at all. An unfortunate consequence of the super league war.

That was the reason for which I inferred - News Ltd influence. It’s what’s held the game back for the past 20 odd years (that and massive self interest from clubs) Their revenue is still a lot higher than ours outside of broadcast revenue and that is the biggest concern because it is that revenue gap which is then invested into NSW and Qld and their junior development and their marketing.

Another advantage they seem to have is lobbying of governments for funding and stadium/infrastructure development. They were able to curtail the development of Stadium Australia into a rectangular stadium, they were able to get a new stadium in Western Sydney done, they were able to beat league for stadium development for the Gabba. This is an area that the ARLC really need to improve on.

Colk

First Grade
I must admit Im confused , when you say 'our' are you talking about the AFL or NRL?

Are they getting more for there tv rights? I dont think they are on Fox. And They deffinately dont get any more on Sky or any internation locality. Well behind on steaming. However They would get more on FTA, but they do have double the advertising opportunities and show more games

Yes I mean ‘our’ when I’m referring to League and ‘their’ when referring to AFL or fumbleball. I absolutely detest their game but I am envious about their growth and their overall management. I wish that we had their management, their long term strategy, their confidence in product and their independence from outside interests and most importantly self interest.

Whilst our problems can often be attributed to the Super League and that is definitely a proverbial albatross across our necks, we also haven’t helped ourselves either - refer to rusted on AFL states comment and seemingly no strategy to expand outside of Qld and NSW, seemingly rushed Brisbane expansion, the negativity and lack of support we get from Channel Nine, lack of care or financial support for grassroots.

Anyway back to the TV deal. They shouldn’t be getting anywhere near what we are from Fox. From my recollection of their deal Fox don’t get much exclusive content from AFL (not anywhere near what RL gives to Fox in any case). A majority of their games are shown on FTA. If we tried something similar, we would be massively behind their deal

Idris 84

Juniors
I was reading that the afl gets more revenue per year than the nrl, rugby union and football australia combined. So makes sense if deals such as the Telstra one has a big gap on us, all that extra revenue has to come from somewhere.

Perth Red

Post Whore
only good ?
hahaha

it was an outstanding result
You won’t know that until we see the detail. On paper it sounds great, but if we’ve once again slashed 70% of grass roots funding, community development, player welfare etc etc that were massive cuts in 2020 then it’s not so great, if not and it’s due to savings that aren’t impacting the future of the game or due to substantial revenue increase then yep it’s outstanding. I’ll let you know in February when the annual report comes out but on face value it’s a great result and takes us back to the surplus we were posting pre covid.

cost cutting from 2020:
football costs $5.7million
Community and player welfare $4.6mill
Admin $8.1mill
Grassroots $33.5mill

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
so much lower ?
Nope wrong as usual. for Australian media nrl got a reported $360mill ($1.8bill over 5 years ) and afl got $416mill ($2.5bill over 6 years), a $56mill gap which was bigger than the 2012/2013 deal ($49mill gap)!

expansion will help close the gap unless the afls CEOs claims of their two year deal are true in which case the gap is going to be much larger even with the extra money from fox, unless we land much more than the reported $600mill from fta, for a short time at least.

you have to question when SOO is worth $30mill and add in whatever international games are worth we still get so little for our domestic comp despite having higher audiences, especially for ptv.

Last edited:
You won’t know that until we see the detail. On paper it sounds great, but if we’ve once again slashed 70% of grass roots funding, community development, player welfare etc etc that were massive cuts in 2020 then it’s not so great, if not and it’s due to savings that aren’t impacting the future of the game or due to substantial revenue increase then yep it’s outstanding. I’ll let you know in February when the annual report comes out but on face value it’s a great result and takes us back to the surplus we were posting pre covid.

cost cutting from 2020:
football costs $5.7million
Community and player welfare $4.6mill
Admin $8.1mill
Grassroots $33.5mill
hahahahaha

they could have posted a 100 million profit & you'd be a ney sayer
I won't be waiting for your analysis thanks , it'll be biased dribble as per usual.

Nope wrong as usual. for Australian media nrl got a reported $360mill ($1.8bill over 5 years ) and afl got $416mill ($2.5bill over 6 years), a $56mill gap which was bigger than the 2012/2013 deal ($49mill gap)!

expansion will help close the gap unless the afls CEOs claims of their two year deal are true in which case the gap is going to be much larger even with the extra money from fox, unless we land much more than the reported $600mill from fta, for a short time at least.

you have to question when SOO is worth $30mill and add in whatever international games are worth we still get so little for our domestic comp despite having higher audiences, especially for ptv.
wrong as per usual

you think the kiwis paid us in bananas ?? lol
380 million

closing the gap every deal
well done PVL .. keep up the good work.

Reported fox are paying somewhere between $15-20mill a year more for the Dolphins admission.
actually 40 million more pa

they are paying 20 million more per year til 2027 for the extra 12 exclusive games they will get & 100 million for the franchise set up

Last edited: