What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

siv

First Grade
Looks like status quo to me

Which in this climate of covid is pretty good

Though I would like to know what 100h of content on 9Now will look like

Cactus

Juniors
I would have like to have seen the Saturday night game broadcast on FTA every week, not just the last 5 rounds.

I would have also have liked to have seen the NRL get back a bit of control regarding which games are on FTA, especially the Saturday and Sunday games via flexi scheduling. This works well in the NFL where NBC has an exclusive national slot on sunday nights but the fixture can be swapped out with a better match up by the NFL with an appropriate notice period. Only games scheduled for the same day would be eligible to swap.
Totally agree on the Sat FTA broadcasting.

Idris 84

Juniors
In Iran it means something completely different but here in little old Oz it means providing payment in the form of goods or services instead of paying cash outright.

Ahh so advertising of games, cost of flying the commentary and camera crew to games etc?

flippikat

First Grade
Yes and @flippikat based on the direction the NRL are headed I would say you can pretty much lock in NZ2.
Yeah, but I guess they still have to get the thumbs up from broadcasters to add the 9th game mid-contract.

NZ 2 is an easy sell to Sky, and from the Aussie broadcasters point of view, the NRL can say "hey, this helps solve the problem of 6pm (Sydney) kickoff on Friday night", and the home games of the 18th club would all be shot by Sky, so Channel 9/Fox avoid some production costs there too.

Excuse my ignorance, but wtf does contra mean?
In Accounting a Contra account is an account used in a general ledger to reduce the value of a related account.

For example, Accumulated Depreciation is a contra asset account, because its credit balance is contra to the debit balance for an asset account

Say you have an asset worth 20 million dollars - that's it's historically value

To ascertain the book value of this asset you have a Accumulated Depreciation account (Contra asset account) which say is 10 million

You can see then that the book value of this asset is 10 million ( 20 million historical value less the Accumulated Depreciation of 10 million) as well as seeing what the historical value of this asset was - 20 million in the asset account.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Excuse my ignorance, but wtf does contra mean?
its when the Ch9 boss spouts in the media that the game is sht, broke and run by idiots Lol.

in reality it’s a bit of a furphy designed to make deals look better than they are. It’s supposed to be advertising for the sport but given all they advertise is their own content/product relating to the sport they are covering it really doesn’t add any value to the sport per se.

Perth Red

Post Whore
On the Ch9 deal, they do get the regular season quite cheaply. By all estimates SOO is worth $30mill a year so in effect Ch9 are paying $85mill cash a year for the nrl season. Optus is paying more than that for EPL streaming in Oz And ch7 pay afl around $140mill!

Slackboy72

Coach
On the Ch9 deal, they do get the regular season quite cheaply. By all estimates SOO is worth $30mill a year so in effect Ch9 are paying $85mill cash a year for the nrl season. Optus is paying more than that for EPL streaming in Oz And ch7 pay afl around $140mill!
Ch 7 pay $360m for AFL.
Ch9 also on-sell games they broadcast to FoxTel for $25m so they effectively are only paying $60m to print money in the biggest and 3rd biggest ad markets in the country.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What a Surprise .
I'm totally shocked 🙄🙄
PR moaning & bitching .
If they got 1000trillion skabillion for the deal he would piss & moan .
His hate for PVL & most things RL is for about the 1000th time on show again .
& im utterly shocked that he would paint the Afl in a good light ...yet again .
What a surprise, Phil adding nothing to a discussion and just attacking another poster, I’m shocked I really am

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ch 7 pay $360m for AFL.
Ch9 also on-sell games they broadcast to FoxTel for $25m so they effectively are only paying $60m to print money in the biggest and 3rd biggest ad markets in the country.
No, the foxtel deal with nine will be over in these rights, hence why nine is paying a lot less than the last deal done and fox paying nrl directly more.

ch7 are paying around $150mill a year cash and contra to afl until end of ‘24.

tri_colours

Juniors
No, the foxtel deal with nine will be over in these rights, hence why nine is paying a lot less than the last deal done and fox paying nrl directly more.

ch7 are paying around $150mill a year cash and contra to afl until end of ‘24.
According to C9:
115m a year cash , 15m a year Contra (2023-2027)
Previous contract.
115m cash , 10m Contra

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nine 130m per year
NZ 32m per year

If you add those two together you get $162m which is considerably better than the $147m a year the AFL will be getting for FTA in 2023

And I doubt they will do any better than us with Fox

colly

Juniors
According to C9:
115m a year cash , 15m a year Contra (2023-2027)
Previous contract.
115m cash , 10m Contra

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nine 130m per year
NZ 32m per year

If you add those two together you get $162m which is considerably better than the $147m a year the AFL will be getting for FTA in 2023

And I doubt they will do any better than us with Fox
I have done the cal'c AFL in 2023 gets $366 for that year. 216 m fox which they admitted in Media and Seven 150m.
The NRL gets over $400 million in year 2023 or the same year.

WE WON

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have done the cal'c AFL in 2023 gets $366 for that year. 216 m fox which they admitted in Media and Seven 150m.
The NRL gets over $400 million in year 2023 or the same year.

WE WON
Haha cause we did. Now if only we could actually see the official figures to know for sure. At the moment the offical line is nrl “over” $400mill, afl $470mill.

End of day cash is king. what shows in the financials is all that matters.

Latest posts