What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023/24 Off Season

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The rule change will likely see short goal line dropouts become the norm. Whether the kicking team turns the ball over due to losing the contest, or they concede a 10m play the ball for kicking out on the full, the field position won’t be that different.

Feels like only a couple of reasons for a long kick – protecting against a field goal, or if you're down a defender(s) for some reason.

Given that… yea, I see your point that this benefits the defending team more than anything.

I like the unpredictability of contested kicks, but I can see this being revisited as teams become more adept at recovering their own kicks and there becomes little benefit in forcing a drop out.

Does anyone know if the rules specifically prohibit union-style lifting? If not, receiving teams could set themselves up for that and swing the odds back in their favour.
I don’t see any reason lifting wouldn’t be allowed as long as the lifters don’t also obstruct potential tacklers.
I can still see some place for long kicks- when there is strong tailwind or heavy rain and a team just wants to play territory, and when an opponent has particularly tall, athletic receivers that you just don’t back yourself against. I imagine the Roosters are salivating at the idea of contested kicks with both Daniel Tupou and Dom Young in their arsenal.

Chimp

Bench
How would you guys feel about a Braden Hamlin-Uele/AFB trade with the Sharks? Obviously a downgrade for you, but I reckon one of the better options out there, and would give you probably $500k back in salary cap.

It wouldn’t be a 1 year rental, BHU is only contracted for 24’, so it could be Sharks agree to give you BHU (who you sign on a multi-year deal) in return for you releasing AFB for Sharks to sign him on a multi-year deal - but Sharks would want it to happen for 2024 season.

I guess you get rid of a ‘wantaway’ player, get a decent prop with plenty of upside at probably half the price, giving you around $500k in salary cap space - so essentially you get BHU plus another $500k player for AFB.
So…. How you guys feeling about this now? I had a feeling this is how it would play out.

I reckon the swap is on the cards. Given you have offered BHU $700k, I’m guessing my quotes above are slightly out, as you’d have BHU plus around $300k to play with.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So…. How you guys feeling about this now? I had a feeling this is how it would play out.

I reckon the swap is on the cards. Given you have offered BHU $700k, I’m guessing my quotes above are slightly out, as you’d have BHU plus around $300k to play with.
I’d be pretty happy if it goes ahead. He’s a good player and the Sharks are so stacked for next year they probably have to shed a forward. Just makes sense on most levels.

Yep was a good call. And agree with @SpaceMonkey; he's a good player and would be happy to see it happen. In terms of who's available from 2025 when AFB leaves, he's probably the pick of the lot.

My only question is if the Warriors wanted him all along, why they didn't make the swap deal at the time AFB's release was signed off on. But regardless, hopefully they land it. Would love for us to make a play for Leo Thompson after 1-Nov if the Knights don't extend him earlier.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Warriors to foot the bill for Volkmans shoulder op, CBA says they are liable for it
Again completely unsurprising, if the injury happened while employed at the club it’s irrelevant whether he was released subsequently or not. Would be paid for by insurance anyway.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I don't want a swap, I want AFB to honour his word and play tough for us this year.

Reactions: Izz

JJ

Immortal
I don't want a swap, I want AFB to honour his word and play tough for us this year.
Agree, but I guess the question would be how committed would he be if there was an out he's denied... I'd expect professionalism, but I've been disappointed before

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Agree, but I guess the question would be how committed would he be if there was an out he's denied... I'd expect professionalism, but I've been disappointed before
Oh mate I agree, I'm not exactly betting the house on him producing another season like last year. I know what motivation is like, only the greats keep fronting up no matter what the situation...not sure that's him. Hope I'm proven horribly wrong and he smells a chance at a GF/premiership, which he's never had.

Reactions: JJ

Chimp

Bench
Completely get that view. That being said, if both clubs have long term deals with AFB/BHU in place, there’s a risk that if you leave them with their current club, and they get injured on their watch (see Volkman), you could find yourself with a lame duck the following year. Plus if the swap doesn’t happen, both clubs have a player who may have 1 eye on next year.
If you guys have a deal in place with BHU, I see no other outcome than a swap and it happening a season early - makes total sense to everyone (apart from probably the fans)z

Matua

Bench
If he's part of a swap then that would be professionalism.

Pangai Jr has been at Brisbane training. Rumours are he will play for then the 2nd half of the year.
IMO nrl shouldn’t allow it, the whole Pangai saga reeks
Yea definitely fishy.

I remember watching NRL360 the day his "retirement" news broke, and one of the journos there was adamant it was all bollocks and he'd be playing for someone else within 12mths.

Latest posts