What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023/24 Off Season

Completely get that view. That being said, if both clubs have long term deals with AFB/BHU in place, there’s a risk that if you leave them with their current club, and they get injured on their watch (see Volkman), you could find yourself with a lame duck the following year. Plus if the swap doesn’t happen, both clubs have a player who may have 1 eye on next year.
If you guys have a deal in place with BHU, I see no other outcome than a swap and it happening a season early - makes total sense to everyone (apart from probably the fans)z

I get the injury risk but - again, using Volkman as an example - that can happen at any time, on or off the books. And as far as playing with one eye on next year, that all happens now anyway.

You're right, if Braden signs both clubs may just pull the trigger early but I hope not... would rather keep AFB and back Webby to get the best out of him one last time.

Matua

Bench
I get the injury risk but - again, using Volkman as an example - that can happen at any time, on or off the books. And as far as playing with one eye on next year, that all happens now anyway.

You're right, if Braden signs both clubs may just pull the trigger early but I hope not... would rather keep AFB and back Webby to get the best out of him one last time.
I'd rather have the guy long term committed to the team, than the guy who's having his contract enforced by the club.

Classy? Just as expected surely?
Well according to the article neither club were obligated to step in.

But if you mean morally expected… I agree to an extent and I’m glad they’ve done so, but IMO Ronald’s agent has more moral obligation than anyone.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Well according to the article neither club were obligated to step in.

But if you mean morally expected… I agree to an extent and I’m glad they’ve done so, but IMO Ronald’s agent has more moral obligation than anyone.
Id be interested in hearing a proper legal explanation of it. Because as far as I’m aware if he was injured while employed by the warriors, it’s their insurance that should be paying for his treatment. Probably not his wages because he’d voluntarily left employment, and they’d given him a payout.
However it’s possible the Warriors being in NZ may have complicated that with different setups for work injury coverage in each country.
Even if they weren’t strictly liable though it was a good move for the club to step in to safeguard our reputation as a club that looks after players.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah Cam George is milking it a bit I feel
He isn't quoted in that article? That's a clickbait heading from Fox, who are notorious for it now.

Id be interested in hearing a proper legal explanation of it. Because as far as I’m aware if he was injured while employed by the warriors, it’s their insurance that should be paying for his treatment. Probably not his wages because he’d voluntarily left employment, and they’d given him a payout.
However it’s possible the Warriors being in NZ may have complicated that with different setups for work injury coverage in each country.
Even if they weren’t strictly liable though it was a good move for the club to step in to safeguard our reputation as a club that looks after players.
I don't know if the Warriors knew it was as serious as it turned out to be? I saw an article somewhere that I thought I read he was in contact training with us, and the first time he was withdrawn from contact training was early on at the Dragons. Now that I've googled it, it says he copped a wack with us but was cleared of serious injury, and he didn't think it was that bad. Probably thought it was a cork.

I think we've done him well, it's the right thing to do but it doesn't mean that professional clubs always - or even sometimes - do the right thing in this sort of sense.

This is a rugged analogy but if I buy a car and don't get an AA check, I can't expect to go back to the original owners and get them to put a new transmission in it - especially if they didn't know it was shot in the first place. The Dragons have come out pretty scot-free in a situation that it seems like was, in the majority, their own f**k-up.

Matua

Bench
I'm wondering if ACC has a role in this? I assume the club pays a big premium for their players and as it happened when he was still a Warriors player then he's (partially?) covered by ACC?

* Or I may be 100% wrong and ACC isn't available for pro sports players.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm wondering if ACC has a role in this? I assume the club pays a big premium for their players and as it happened when he was still a Warriors player then he's (partially?) covered by ACC?

* Or I may be 100% wrong and ACC isn't available for pro sports players.
Yeah that’s why I’m not sure exactly how it’s covered. I’m pretty sure in Aus he’d be the liability of the Warriors workers comp insurance because the injury happened while employed there.