What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

taipan

Referee
Fair enough. I get a bit fed up with the number of posts belittling teams at the bottom end of the ladder. Likewise those saying if a team wins this week they could pull a good crowd next week, or that a team must keep winning for crowds to keep coming. It's hardly a ringing endorsement when RL fans on a RL forum think that winning is all the game has to offer.

If a one division 20-team NRL is the ultimate destination, there will have to be a change in Australian RL fan and media culture for the comp to realize the full benefits of expansion. Sports leagues that have relegation/promotion can better afford all the negativity because there's plenty of interest in the battle to avoid relegation.
Mate I'm a Shark's supporter ,know all about being at the rear end of the ladder.Hence my post,I had a car full of excuse when they lost regularly.

greenBV4

Bench
I do love how NRL take games on the road as alongside big crowds it's nice to see small jam packed stadiums as well such as today.
Shame we couldn't have like an NRL2 Minor League like they have with Ice Hockey in North America with AHL
We basically do, it's called the NSW and Qld cups

IMO they have a lot more potential than is being realised, NSW cup just needs to be more like the Qcup with teams from and spread out around the whole state, and not just reserve versions of the nrl club

Wb1234

Immortal
Someone on social media was saying that was the biggest Rabbitohs home crowd (outside of Good Friday) since 2013. There's no easy way to check that on AFL tables but that's great if true.

There was lots of social media post this week on Indigenous round (more than I've ever seen from the club) so they are definitely building the hype around this game. Also the jerseys are almost sold out on the clubs online store.

The man of the match also gets the Eric Simms medal so looks like this may be a permanent fixture on Indigenous Round.

had a chuckle at this this is epic trolling

yakstorm

First Grade
It will be hard for the Dolphins to ever take the Broncos spot as 'big brother' simply because one club is 35 years old than the other, but regardless if the Dolphins push the Broncos into being the bigger club they always should be, that's great for the competition.

Reality is until the Dolphins came in, the Broncos have had very little competition for a lot of key metrics. Souths & Storm had challenged them on revenue & memberships, and the club has been stepping up their game as a result, but Dolphins will possibly be the first club that can challenge them on crowds.

If that means the Broncos start aiming for 35K+ more often, that's great for everyone.

jim_57

Staff member

IMO they have a lot more potential than is being realised, NSW cup just needs to be more like the Qcup with teams from and spread out around the whole state, and not just reserve versions of the nrl club

I’d also prefer to see NSW Cup move towards unique teams instead reserve teams like the QLD Cup. 10 of the 13 teams are the same branding as their NRL team so this is further away than ever and it looks like they’re angling towards an NRL reserve grade.

If QLD Cup can have teams in Mackay, Rockhampton, Toowoomba etc you’d think NSW Cup could manage a couple outside of the Newcastle to Wollongong corridor and a better spread within that corridor. Central Coast, North Coast & Riverina would be a good start.

SouthsCountry

Juniors

Yes. As a massive bush footy fan I agree, it will take the money out of local First Grade/A Grade and put these players in an actual semi-pro comp instead of making uneven local ones. Put a side in Wagga, one in Bathurst, one in Coffs Harbour and one on the Central Coast.

SouthsCountry

Juniors
I’d also prefer to see NSW Cup move towards unique teams instead reserve teams like the QLD Cup. 10 of the 13 teams are the same branding as their NRL team so this is further away than ever and it looks like they’re angling towards an NRL reserve grade.

If QLD Cup can have teams in Mackay, Rockhampton, Toowoomba etc you’d think NSW Cup could manage a couple outside of the Newcastle to Wollongong corridor and a better spread within that corridor. Central Coast, North Coast & Riverina would be a good start.
Money and semi-pro players playing in cashed up local sides is killing bush footy. Regular scores of 60-0 are not good for the game