What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Harry O

Juniors
did you get good seats

I used to love Brookie hottest cheerleaders and some good sorts in the crowd too

jane try stand used to be 80 bucks which is a rort
We always sit on the hill Mate. Nothing beats sitting on grass getting our ass wet haha

jim_57

Staff member
A question for Melbourne based Storm fans... why would a bigger crowd turn up at Docklands than would have at Aami? Docklands is less than ideal for watching RL and Aami would have a better RL match atmosphere... just curious. Was it the novelty factor?

I know that the novelty factor of the Broncos playing at the Gabba has quite a few interested up here despite being inferior to Suncorp for RL

A bit of novelty factor, slightly easier to get to on public transport for much of the city compared to AAMI, roof. Storm also did a 2 for 1 deal for $35 which is probably the biggest factor if I had to guess.

AAMI is by far the better stadium for RL though. Even if the Storm could get a 35-40k crowd there for something like a prelim I doubt it’d be worth it with the AFL owning Marvel.

Indeed, what is the NRL thinking? They should have made sure the home teams won.
It's actually quite a clever move. As Vibing has helpfully explained, NRL fans will not reward mediocrity. For a team to get a good crowd, they must have won last time out.

So after the win in Auckland, Souths should get a good crowd against the Bulldogs next week. Meanwhile the Warriors get the chance to appease their fans with a win at Parra before they play the Sharks at home in Round 20.

Bit more complicated with the other game. Following a bye next week, Panthers need to win again at the Dolphins in Round 20. They should then get a good crowd at home to the Bulldogs in Round 21.

The Storm also have a bye next week. Bit tricky. Their fans could be seething at the mediocrity for weeks. But fear not, hope springs eternal. If they win at the Roosters in Round 20 and at the Knights in Round 21 they should get a good crowd against the Eels in Round 22.

Pneuma

First Grade
It's actually quite a clever move. As Vibing has helpfully explained, NRL fans will not reward mediocrity. For a team to get a good crowd, they must have won last time out.

So after the win in Auckland, Souths should get a good crowd against the Bulldogs next week. Meanwhile the Warriors get the chance to appease their fans with a win at Parra before they play the Sharks at home in Round 20.

Bit more complicated with the other game. Following a bye next week, Panthers need to win again at the Dolphins in Round 20. They should then get a good crowd at home to the Bulldogs in Round 21.

The Storm also have a bye next week. Bit tricky. Their fans could be seething at the mediocrity for weeks. But fear not, hope springs eternal. If they win at the Roosters in Round 20 and at the Knights in Round 21 they should get a good crowd against the Eels in Round 22.
A master class in sarcasm. Well played sir

Vibing

Juniors

nawwww

poor soap dodger got its knickers ( which haven't been washed for a month ) in a twist because i suggested pommy fans live in shit holes so turn up to watch oxygen thieves regularly because they have nothing else to do..

fact is & my point was ... you said winning isn't a factor for crowds ,
which is an utterly absurd observation.
point is valid
point rests.

yakstorm

First Grade
A question for Melbourne based Storm fans... why would a bigger crowd turn up at Docklands than would have at Aami? Docklands is less than ideal for watching RL and Aami would have a better RL match atmosphere... just curious. Was it the novelty factor?

I know that the novelty factor of the Broncos playing at the Gabba has quite a few interested up here despite being inferior to Suncorp for RL
Due to the work being done for the Women's FIFA World Cup, the capacity for AAMI Park has been sitting at about 24K which certainly doesn't help (Warriors v Storm was a sell out and was announced as 23469) in addition to what others have mentioned.

In addition, unlike AAMI Park, Marvel Stadium does have its own members, and it appeared at least a few thousand of them did turn up last night. Those members are possibly unlikely to hold a Storm membership as well or attend AAMI Park regularly, but because the game was there, they didn't have to pay anything extra and there was no competing AFL, went.

greenBV4

Bench

Part novelty, part the high level of promotion for the game, part more seats = more reasonably priced seats