What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Frank Burge

Juniors
this has absolutely nothing to do with my stadium mate, not sure why you even felt the need to say that.

Agree to disagree.
I have been to almost every home game since stadium opened for the Eels in the western stand. One thing I always notice is how many people gather on the concourse in between levels and watch the game from there instead of in the upper stands, maybe because how steep it is after a few drinks

jim_57

Staff member
Round 24
Sea Eagles V Panthers @ Brookvale - 12k
Sharks V Titans @ Pointsbet - 8k
Broncos V Eels @ Gabba - 28k
Rabbitohs V Dragons @ Barlow Park - 12k
Tigers V Warriors @ Hamilton - 21k
Roosters V Dolphins @ Allianz - 16k
Storm V Raiders @ AAMI - 15k
Knights V Bulldogs @ Newcastle - 24k

The aggregate is now at 3,107,555 after 172 games if I'm right. (I might not be lol) The best ever regular season was 3,153,142 after 192 games. It's looking like we need 45,587 to beat the aggregate. So it's either happening at the Gabba or Barlow Park, worst case scenario at Hamilton.

Oohh exciting!

To beat 2005's average of 16,468 we need around 251,917 punts in the remaining 32 fixtures. An average of 7,843.

Should crack 252k and the record average with 2 rounds to spare or close to it. Next 2 rounds look 120k+ comfortably.

beave

Coach
I'll say again, how can you say the top tier doesn't look at least 75% full?

3 out of 4 seats full. Yep. 23000 announced in a 30 000 capacity stadium.
I'm truly not quite sure why you are questioning this?

Again, if you think 3 out of every 4 seats are occupied in that top tier in this pic mate then this convo is pointless because we'll be going around in circles. Some of those upper bays are lucky to be 1/3 full.
IMG_2988.jpeg

Warriors Fever

Juniors
I have been to almost every home game since stadium opened for the Eels in the western stand. One thing I always notice is how many people gather on the concourse in between levels and watch the game from there instead of in the upper stands, maybe because how steep it is after a few drinks
I was about to post this been there a few times and have watched from the concourse. It’s a great view and lots of people do this

There have been incidents at Soccer games of fans falling from upper tiers in big stadia. Bad one at Celtic Park during an Old Firm derby a few years back.

At some EPL clubs, hospitality is as important as the game. Depends on the stadium. At Arsenal for instance there are often numerous empty seats at sold-out games. Not everyone wants to sit in the same spot for long periods.

NRL is clearly moving in this direction. Probably the main reason why crowds are growing.

This forum consistently demonstrates that diehards are obsessed with winning and losing. Hence they are less likely to attend certain games than casuals who just want to enjoy a day out.

Any chance the two games on Sunday might persuade thicko doom-mongers that NRL games involving teams at the bottom of the ladder can be a great watch?

In some ways these teams are more entertaining. Knowing they won't make the finals gives them licence to chance their arm.

Instead of dumping on the Tigers and Dragons why not see their current positions as less of a sign of their inadequacy and more as proof of the overall strength of the comp?

Jordan23

Juniors
100%, so many in my group head down fir a drink and don’t come back up

Harry O

Juniors
Perth crowds for Rugby League since 2009
2023 Double Header @ Optus Stadium: 42,042 (Only 3000 reportedly travelled from interstate)
2022 State of Origin @ Optus Stadium: 59,358
2019 State of Origin @ Optus Stadium: 59,721
2018 Triple Header @ Optus Stadium: 38,824
2009-2017 9 x Souths home games @ HBF Park: Ave. 16,074
These crowd figures are merely to get a gauge on fan interest in Perth for rugby league, and this suggests there's an appetite for their own NRL team.
NRLWA has a solid junior base, strong rugby league comps with 30 clubs over 6 regional divisions.
20,000 seat rectangular stadium (HBF Park)
A new timeslot for broadcasters
2 million population with only 2 major sporting teams, so the corporate market is not saturated like Sydney, Melbourne and SEQ
WA Government financial backing
WA is a new audience and bringing in new fans which was a prerequisite for the Dolphins inclusion.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I was about to post this been there a few times and have watched from the concourse. It’s a great view and lots of people do this
The Warriors were actually unhappy with Mt Smart having the extra seating at the north end for the All Blacks game there for similar reasons because it replaced their normal fanzone area which performs the same function and is very popular with fans who choose to watch the game from there.

DIOGENES

Juniors

A bit of soccer boosterism in the Herald. The online headline is ”The Women’s World Cup is outdrawing the Men’s NRL”.
I have a different take - despite a once in a lifetime event for soccer, the NRL will still have an all-time record crowd aggregate 4 weeks before the end of the season.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
The Warriors were actually unhappy with Mt Smart having the extra seating at the north end for the All Blacks game there for similar reasons because it replaced their normal fanzone area which performs the same function and is very popular with fans who choose to watch the game from there.
Oh right, I do remember the fan zone when I was there ten years ago

nko11

Juniors
And apparently all 45000 flew in from Sydney and Brisbane :)
Saw on the news, only 3000 came from interstate. Meaning there were 42k locals willing to go watch. That's a very solid foundation for a club. Also heard that 20k tickets were sold within the first 3 days. A good focus on memberships from the get go and I can see a Perth NRL team selling out NIB no matter how they're travelling.

bazza

Immortal
Saw on the news, only 3000 came from interstate. Meaning there were 42k locals willing to go watch. That's a very solid foundation for a club. Also heard that 20k tickets were sold within the first 3 days. A good focus on memberships from the get go and I can see a Perth NRL team selling out NIB no matter how they're travelling.
decent sized city
limited competition from other sports (only 2 AFL teams and half a union team)
plenty of migrants from eastern states, NZ/UK
history of the game played in the region

seems like a decent basis of a team

Pneuma

First Grade
Don’t tell Pippen this. He swears they were all interstaters!

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
24 000 sell-out for Tigers/Warriors in N.Z. this weekend.