What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Suitman

Post Whore
100%. I went to all three A-League Grand Finals at Suncorp and they were pretty hectic.

Still the top three noises that I've heard at Suncorp involve Rugby League.
1- Ben Hunt try 2022 SOO G3
2- Darius Boyd intercept 2015 Prelim
3- Matty Bowen intercept 2005 SOO G1

Dead set thought the place would fall apart
Not sure about that. When Berisha and then Enrique scored in the last 10 minutes, Suncorp went absolutely insane.
Maybe it wasn't in your top 3 noises because 10 000 Wanderers fans made the trip to Brisbane. So there were only 42 000 Roar fans there.
Anyway, I'm not here for a pissing contest. Far from it. One thing we can agree on is that both the RL and football can both provide a far better atmosphere at games than the "cheer a minute" game from the south. Cheering for a missed goal and getting 1 point for missing? It's ok AFL player, you tried and missed, but here's a point for your team anyway. Seriously, what other sport rewards failure?

Anyway, here's 2 mins 16 secs of the 2014 A-League GF. Massive Wanderers support and incredible Roar scenes.
The other 2 Roar GF wins were equally intense. SOO and these types of games leave the cheer a minute game for dead.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Not sure about that. When Berisha and then Enrique scored in the last 10 minutes, Suncorp went absolutely insane.
Maybe it wasn't in your top 3 noises because 10 000 Wanderers fans made the trip to Brisbane. So there were only 42 000 Roar fans there.
Anyway, I'm not here for a pissing contest. Far from it. One thing we can agree on is that both the RL and football can both provide a far better atmosphere at games than the "cheer a minute" game from the south. Cheering for a missed goal and getting 1 point for missing? It's ok AFL player, you tried and missed, but here's a point for your team anyway. Seriously, what other sport rewards failure?

Anyway, here's 2 mins 16 secs of the 2014 A-League GF. Massive Wanderers support and incredible Roar scenes.
The other 2 Roar GF wins were equally intense. SOO and these types of games leave the cheer a minute game for dead.

They were great atmopheres, but not in my top three - mostly because IMO QLD Origin crowds *actually* care. I mean, at origins even the cops can't contain themselves when QLD wins.

The atmosphere is awesome at A Leagues for Grand Finals, but they feel a bit of a rent-a-crowd IMO. Berisha's goal was far louder than Enrique's too IMO - most of the people around me were so over it by 120mins. I was in section 639. Pic below. I also think that Partaluu's goal in extra time to level it in 2011 was louder than 2014 because people that left rushed the gates. I think another reason is because soccer crowds make noise the whole time - less of a peak. When I was living in Brisbane I was walking distance to Suncorp, so any sell-out, I was there. The yelling, hugging of randoms, etc etc, went the longest after Hunt's try last year.
Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 4.00.12 pm.png

mongoose

Coach
Still the top three noises that I've heard at Suncorp involve Rugby League.

1- Ben Hunt try 2022 SOO G3

2- Darius Boyd intercept 2015 Prelim

3- Matty Bowen intercept 2005 SOO G1

If you

I happen to be gay, and some of the dudes I've penetrated have been the most masculine and muscular blokes you could imagine (I go alright too, if I do say so myself).

I'll fix this for you. What you mean to say is: "I wouldn't watch fumbleball if they paid me. A messy sport for people that don't like structure"

Dead set thoughtthe place would fall apart

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Also, what's the deal with the trolling raids coming back?

Feels like it's 2006 and I'm a brave child soldier on the Big Footy front lines once more.
They`re freaking out about all the NRL expansion talk and really getting very nervous about our expansionary agenda.
We`re talking Perth, P.N.G., Pasifika, N.Z.2, Adelaide. They`re looking down the hole into Tasmania and maybe N.T.

Suitman

Post Whore
They were great atmopheres, but not in my top three - mostly because IMO QLD Origin crowds *actually* care. I mean, at origins even the cops can't contain themselves when QLD wins.

The atmosphere is awesome at A Leagues for Grand Finals, but they feel a bit of a rent-a-crowd IMO. Berisha's goal was far louder than Enrique's too IMO - most of the people around me were so over it by 120mins. I was in section 639. Pic below. I also think that Partaluu's goal in extra time to level it in 2011 was louder than 2014 because people that left rushed the gates. I think another reason is because soccer crowds make noise the whole time - less of a peak. When I was living in Brisbane I was walking distance to Suncorp, so any sell-out, I was there. The yelling, hugging of randoms, etc etc, went the longest after Hunt's try last year.
View attachment 71412

I've always been of the belief that the sports with less scoring opportunities create the best atmosphere's because the tension builds far more. Being able to release that tension every minute or two or three (AFL) dilutes that tension.
That's why their cheer squads (lol - even that term is laughable) are embarrassing.
And that is why RL and Football have far better atmospheres at games.

It's blindly obvious to everyone, except perhaps the NSW Government and Nick Politis, that the whole sport would benefit from South Sydney moving back to Allianz Stadium in 2024.

I can somewhat understand why it didn't happen this year - the 3-year agreement to play at Accor Stadium + the FIFA Women's World Cup has created some scheduling headaches - but it really needs to happen next year.

The way both the Roosters and the Rabbitohs talk about Allianz being "home ground" creates inevitable hype and anticipation for every game played at Moore Park.

The game day experience at Moore Park is significantly better than anything offered up at Olympic Park, from the pubs in Surry Hills and Paddington to the accessibility to the stadium (I caught the light rail from work to Allianz and then home with a bus change) to just about everything about the stadium itself.

In 2024, I'd like to see the Charity Shield game vs the Dragons switched from pre-season to R1 of the NRL draw, and this would be South Sydney's first home game at Allianz. It would be a great start to the new football season in Sydney.

Then Souths should not have renewed its lease at Accor then should it? It is not Nick Politis' fault that happened. Also if you think Politis has any say on who the ground's tenants are, you have rocks in your head. He's probably doing it to just throw back a few barbs at Souths.

Wb1234

Referee
Then Souths should not have renewed its lease at Accor then should it? It is not Nick Politis' fault that happened. Also if you think Politis has any say on who the ground's tenants are, you have rocks in your head. He's probably doing it to just throw back a few barbs at Souths.
Blake solly signed a reduced rent bc homebush wasn’t getting redone then complained after

guys is a dope

yakstorm

First Grade
Their contract would be with VenuesNSW, not Accor Stadium, and they were possibly of the belief they would be able to move games around, like what was offered by VenuesNSW when CommBank Stadium was built and Tigers & Dogs both took games originally planned for Accor to Parramatta.

As other posters have said, the fact the FIFA Women's World Cup is on this season, plus it being year 1 and having a lot of other events & concerts possibly were the biggest drivers on the push back.

Wb1234

Referee
Their contract would be with VenuesNSW, not Accor Stadium, and they were possibly of the belief they would be able to move games around, like what was offered by VenuesNSW when CommBank Stadium was built and Tigers & Dogs both took games originally planned for Accor to Parramatta.

As other posters have said, the fact the FIFA Women's World Cup is on this season, plus it being year 1 and having a lot of other events & concerts possibly were the biggest drivers on the push back.

Billythekid

First Grade
I've always been of the belief that the sports with less scoring opportunities create the best atmosphere's because the tension builds far more. Being able to release that tension every minute or two or three (AFL) dilutes that tension.
That's why their cheer squads (lol - even that term is laughable) are embarrassing.
And that is why RL and Football have far better atmospheres at games.
Don’t think I agree really. AFL games are pretty widely regarded for having great atmosphere. I think soccer tends to get better cheer squads because there is more down time between the big moments. That tends to fill the vacuum leading up to the massive moments.

Personally I think there is no hard and fast rule about which sports create the best atmosphere.
About 100 seats left for Dolphins vs Broncos. Then they need to release the 1500 restricted view seats.
Awesome stuff. Think we’re going to see a lot of good crowds in QLD this year.

Great to see some big crowds early in the season, would be awesome if league could develop more of a culture around attending games and showing people how good it can be is a huge step towards that.

Valheru

Coach

View attachment 71412

Origin crowds at sunclrp are always going to feel like sensational atmosphere for QLD supporters because 85% of the 50k crowd is going for the same team.

Last night you had a near 50/50 split at SFS so the noise was immense regardless of which team was doing well at any particular point in time. Serious question, have you ever experienced a full or near full house at suncorp that was 50/50 or close to? Next Friday might be the first?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Origin crowds at sunclrp are always going to feel like sensational atmosphere for QLD supporters because 85% of the 50k crowd is going for the same team.

Last night you had a near 50/50 split at SFS so the noise was immense regardless of which team was doing well at any particular point in time. Serious question, have you ever experienced a full or near full house at suncorp that was 50/50 or close to? Next Friday might be the first?
I love the 50/50 split of fans and agree. I went to the 2009 Eels v Dogs PF and that was so fun as a neutral.

Sort of. The first time we played the Titans in 2007. It was their home game, IMO there were still more Broncos fans but it was maybe 60/40 split. It was awesome.

Next week will be interesting. The Dolphins will have far more fans in the bottom tier and I think the Broncos will have majority in levels 5, 6 and 7.

Latest posts