What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Wb1234

Immortal
15k would be an awful result

20k is the bare minimum

though in the past it was on the same weekend as Melbourne cup which helped

Newcastle or Canberra would’ve got way more

perhaps the arlc can look at giving tests to Canberra as part of negotiations for a new stadium (esp if they get a new a league side)

bazza

Immortal
15k would be an awful result

20k is the bare minimum

though in the past it was on the same weekend as Melbourne cup which helped

Newcastle or Canberra would’ve got way more
they would have been sell outs and they would have had to put on live sites just for the overflow of people who wanted to watch

perhaps the arlc can look at giving tests to Canberra as part of negotiations for a new stadium (esp if they get a new a league side)
yes

moffla

Bench
We do have a strange obsession with crowds in this country. More often than not, the game produces strong crowds and one poor test crowd is not indicative of the games health.

I'm going to the match, but can't say I'm jumping out of my skin for it. There's been zero talk or promotion, and the tournament itself hasn't been very captivating given how weak Samoa has been.

Still, I think this will end up 20kish.

Perth Red

Post Whore
International Crowds so far

Pacific Championship
Aus v Samoa 18,144
NZ v Samoa 23,269

Pacific Bowl
PNG v Cook Is (est) 6-8k
Cook Is v Fiji (est) 4-5k

Test series
Eng v Tonga 12,898

yakstorm

First Grade
NRL has learnt from their mistakes with the Melbourne Semi Final, and have re-categorised a number of seats in the upper middle bays from Cat 1 to Cat 2 to help make the ground look fuller.

As per usual, behind the posts at AAMI Park are selling strongly, also been good sales in the lower bowl. Breakdown based upon sales so far, black is around 95% sold, the lighter the grey, the less seats sold. Red is areas that are not on sale.

AAMI.png

taste2taste

Juniors
NRL has learnt from their mistakes with the Melbourne Semi Final, and have re-categorised a number of seats in the upper middle bays from Cat 1 to Cat 2 to help make the ground look fuller.

As per usual, behind the posts at AAMI Park are selling strongly, also been good sales in the lower bowl. Breakdown based upon sales so far, black is around 95% sold, the lighter the grey, the less seats sold. Red is areas that are not on sale.

View attachment 81132
Is that empty stand on the TV cameras side ?

Or will the empty stand be seen every time ch 9 take a wide shot ?

We still on track for 15k ??

yakstorm

First Grade
Empty stand will be behind the camera, so should only be seen in reverse angle and behind the goal shots.

Roughly the stadium break up is 7K behind each goal post and 8K on the sidelines to make up the 30,000 capacity (not exact, but there is a high portion of seats behind the goals at the request of Melbourne Victory when the stadium capacity was being increased from the original 20K plans).

Roughly 23K is currently on sale. Behind the posts would be around 12K sold (as corners still have a number of seats, plus a scattering of others), give another 1-2K for the lower sideline bays, as both are pretty full and then it's the east upper which is most unknown.

Screenshot_20231024_192307_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20231024_192552_YouTube.jpg
Using the Storm v Roosters Semi as a sales guide (which had an announced crowd of 19,534), plus last week's PAX figures (over 13K), we should be past 15K and possibly heading more towards 18K, with a 20K+ crowd a slim possibility.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Matilda's have pretty much sold out 3 Olympic Qualifiers in Perth in the next 10 days. Perth???
1 x 58 000 at Optus stadium.
2 x 20 000 at HBF.

The 3 games have officially sold out.
3 games and a total of over 100 000 fans.
It makes a massive difference being a world wide sport and football probably has more fans in this country than any other sport. It's a shame that they can't transfer that to the local comps because it would be a massive boost to rectangular stadium upgrades.

Burns

First Grade
Hmm, still get the impression they are holding back a bunch of tickets for Melbourne. Some of the Bays appear to being selling into every second row still.
I’ve also read they are doing a 2 for 1 deal?

moffla

Bench
Hmm, still get the impression they are holding back a bunch of tickets for Melbourne. Some of the Bays appear to being selling into every second row still.
I’ve also read they are doing a 2 for 1 deal?
I got an email about 2-for-1 yesterday I think? Annoying after paying for 4 tickets but the game is the game I suppose!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
We're barely promoting it, which is part of the problem. It feels like the NRL has happily just taken Visit Victoria's money and isn't doing much else. I've also seen more ads for this game in Sydney then I did when I've been in Melbourne, which would have been fine if it was being advertised and sold 6 months ago, not now.

The other problem is lack of appearances of the Kangaroos on home soil. The Matilda's just played in a record breaking World Cup which set new records for TV audiences. It would be a bit concerning for the FFA if they couldn't capitalise on that hype.

The Kangaroos last played in Australia in 2019 in Wollongong, then before that was the RLWC. The old saying of 'out of sight, out of mind' comes to mind when looking at the state the Roos are in. The Kiwis aren't faring much better. The crowds they are drawing are off the Tonga and Samoa hype, versus people wanting to get out there and watch the NZ national team play.

Hopefully we get two good games between the Roos and Kiwis over the next couple of weeks to change that (or the Kiwis just humiliate Australia, that will also bring the fans out)

Very good point. It was interesting that I saw something online about how many matches have been played between the Kangaroos and Kiwis since 2017 and you can count the number of your hand which is sad when you think about it. Ok there were the 2 years of covid but cmon they couldve done better. The clashes between these two nations have been great over the years but theyve left it like a standard club game, We are talking about playing for the country, the highest honour in sport and we barely get a mention as a national team. If nothing is done soon, what its going to look like for the 2026 World Cup. The only games that would save the crowds is a Tonga/Samoa test in Sydney or Kangaroos Vs Tonga or Samoa.

yakstorm

First Grade
Grandstand, South & Eastern stands are all sold out for Sunday's clash. Definitely selling better than the opener.

In Melbourne, they've put on sale additional rows in the upper corners at AAMI Park, as well the middle 3 bays of the western upper (which are also going for just $10 as a TGIF promotion)

Willy2452

Juniors
I got an email about 2-for-1 yesterday I think? Annoying after paying for 4 tickets but the game is the game I suppose!
I bought two tickets then the next day the NRL was handing 4 free tickets to everyone involved with rugby league in Victoria.

yakstorm

First Grade
$10 tickets look like they've sold strongly today, with the 3 upper west bays now selling between rows T-U (they were at C this morning).

taste2taste

Juniors
I bought two tickets then the next day the NRL was handing 4 free tickets to everyone involved with rugby league in Victoria.
That sucks when that happens.

That was one of the contentious issues in last year's world cup, people were saying they should drop tixs cheaper to fill stadiums but they instead decided to keep prices the same as it wouldn't be fair to those that had been loyal and bought thier tickets early at full price.

yakstorm

First Grade
How we looking for tonight ?

Stadium half full or half empty ?
Category 3 is down to single seats only, sideline lower bowl is sold out, Category 1 is down to restricted view seats and there appears to only be about <100 Category 2s on sale.

The $10 TGIF tickets are now selling into Row Y - AA.

Considering how few tickets are available in the ground, I'd struggle to see how this ends up under 20K... guestimating, I'm feeling 21.5K....